• Bartricks
    It's what the word is used to mean. If you don't want to use it that way, that's fine. But in philosophy the default is it stands for someone with those three properties - omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence. Now, I am not going to keep typing out those three words just because you don't know what a word means. But anyway, someone who characterizes God as a dictator is simply showing conceptual incompetence. They are akin to someone who thinks life in heaven would be boring. The latin is totalium idiotium.
  • Bartricks
    God. Capital G God. Which is convenient shorthand for a person with the three omni properties. Unless one is speaking to someone incredibly ignorant, of course. Then one has to keep telling them what it means and they think something terribly important hangs on this rather than that they just don't know what they're talking about. You just don't know what you are talking about. Surprise me and draw that conclusion.
  • universeness
    It's what the word is used to mean.Bartricks

The word has been used in many contexts from its inception. From jealous gods to envious gods to angry gods, vengeful gods, benevolent gods. I think there is a god of just about anything you can mention. Which version of god are you advocating?

Now, I am not going to keep typing out those three words just because you don't know what a word means.Bartricks

I am not sure that I can pick up all the toys you keep ejecting from your pram. Your god of good won't like your attempts to impersonate the infantile. Try to put your big boy pants on and that way you might receive more high brow responses.

But anyway, someone who characterizes God as a dictator is simply showing conceptual incompetence.Bartricks

Yet you try to use inane responses to dictate to everyone what god is.
    Why do you think quoting words in Latin adds any power to your powerless points?
    You are the one displaying vacuous thinking!
    You just come across as bitter and twisted.
  • universeness
    God. Capital G God.Bartricks

I tend not to capitalise that which I don't think exists, i try not to at least just like i call your god an it rather than assign it the 'he' gender that you do. I also don't refer it to as a person as yu do.
    Which traits of a 'person' do you assign to your god?
    Does it eat, sleep, sweat, hate, love, scratch itself when it gets itchy? Does it get ichy?

Unless one is speaking to someone incredibly ignorant, of course.Bartricks

I am sure you do converse with yourself, often.

Then one has to keep telling them what it means and they think something terribly important hangs on this rather than that they just don't know what they're talking about. You just don't know what you are talking about. Surprise me and draw that conclusion.Bartricks

There bleats that little arrogant voice in your head again! and you are trying to convince others that you speak for the good in god. :rofl: :lol:
    Have too many people been mean to you in the past? is that where all your bile is coming from?
  • Bartricks
    Reason is not strong with this one.
  • universeness
    Ok Yoda! BS is certainly strong with you!
  • theRiddler
    I think God can be excused if we're to label him a dictator, though I'm not too familiar with dictators that are omni-anything. God is everywhere, is all-powerful, and all-knowing. He has the responsibility to dictate.
  • Agent Smith
    Reason is not strong with this one.Bartricks

:lol:

Ok Yoda! BS is certainly strong with you!universeness

:lol:

Even!
  • EugeneW
    God is morally good by definition. A morally good person is not a dictator.Bartricks

My dear Bartricks, that depends on one's definition entirely.
  • EugeneW
    But in philosophy the default is it stands for someone with those three properties - omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence.Bartricks

No. That's what one philosopher in particular made of it. Xenophanes turned the gods into one monster super being, leading to the kind of problems you are so eager to indulge in. And no one can argue you wrong. What a likeable position! Enjoy it!
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.