• Shawn
    Unfortunately, humanity has lost some of the most sane and logical discussions that one could have documented from the school of stoics. Chrysippus, who wrote some three hundred and ten books on stoic logic have never been found. :rage:

Having read an awesome resource here:
    https://www.historyoflogic.com/logic-stoics.htm
    ...on stoic logic, I am interested in discussing seriously about all matters pertaining stoic logic.

Having read briefly about the logic of stoics, it seems that in every proposition, one must assume that it is in accordance with nature. The ontological commitment of it being day, necessarily means that there is light. Now, what this likely means is that the logic of stoics had to incorporate their conception of physics and nature one and the same, giving rise to the impression that Stoicism was a body of knowledge that had to be lived and imparted onto the young, through perhaps mainly by first becoming knowledgeable about stoic physics.

I don't want to propose anything of my own and welcome anyone knowledgeable about stoic logic to contribute, thanks.
  • TheMadFool
    Dostoevsky argument

Stoic propositional logic

1. If God doesn't exist then everything is permissible.
    2. God doesn't exist
    Ergo,
    3. Everything is permissible.

Aristotelian categorical logic
    1. All times God doesn't exist are times everything is permissible.
    2. All times are times God doesn't exist.
    Hence,
    3. All times are times everything is permissible

Why did Aristotle see only the categorical side of logic and why did the stoics only work with sentences/propositions?

Politics, social classes/categories? Virtue, morality, stoic calm in the face of adversity?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.