• Jacob-B
    The kaleidoscope as an analogue of reality.

Most people regard the kaleidoscope as a toy they played with at a certain stage of their childhood. Yet, the kaleidoscope possesses some remarkable properties that can be regarded in more than a metaphorical way as having philosophical aspects. By means of an array of mirrors, it converts a heap of randomly scattered flakes of papers into highly organized patterns. This property parallels the patterning of chaotic worlds by the human mind.
    A minimal tilt of the kaleidoscope does strikingly change the patter. This property combines the elements of tipping point and unpredictability, I wonder whether the kaleidoscope ever features in philosophical studies?
  • Gregory
    kaleidoscopeJacob-B

Ye the kaleidoscope and lots of poems can be used for philosophical insights
  • Gregory
    Maybe all poems
  • Gregory
    "take a sunrise..sprinkle it with dew..a miracle or two.. the world taste good.. take a rainbow and wrap it in a sigh, soak it in the sun"
  • Streetlight
    I wonder whether the kaleidoscope ever features in philosophical studies?Jacob-B

Bergson famously uses the image of the kaleidoscope in his study of perception in Matter and Memory:

"Here is a system of images which I term my perception of the universe, and which may be entirely altered by a very slight change in a certain privileged image - my body. This image occupies the center; by it all the others are conditioned; at each of its movements everything changes, as though by a turn of a kaleidoscope. Here, on the other hand, are the same images, but referred each one to itself, influencing each other no doubt, but in such a manner that the effect is always in proportion to the cause: this is what I term the universe." (p.25)

"How do we parcel out the continuity of material extensity, given in primary perception, into bodies of which each is supposed to have its substance and individuality? No doubt the aspect of this continuity changes from moment to moment; but why do we not purely and simply realize that the whole has changed, as with the turning of a kaleidoscope? Why, in short, do we seek, in the mobility of the whole, tracks that are supposed to be followed by bodies supposed to be in motion? A moving continuity is given to us, in which everything changes and yet remains." (p.197)

https://brocku.ca/MeadProject/Bergson/Bergson_1911b/Bergson_1911_04.html
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.