• T Clark
    But the flaming is so ubiquitous and inescapable and it makes me feel bad. I think I might take a break 'til my next incarnation.unenlightened

I get burned out sometimes too. A break can be a good thing. I get tired of hearing my own figurative voice from time to time.
  • T Clark
    There are four threads on the front page right now about rational arguments for God.T Clark

Five now.
  • Paine

Maybe it should be given its own room. A Lounge for people who only want to only talk about that.
  • T Clark
    Maybe it should be given its own room. A Lounge for people who only want to only talk about that.Paine

No need for anything so draconian. I'll be satisfied as long as they keep letting me whine and complain. Or as they say in places other than the US, whing and complain.
  • jorndoe
    I think I might take a break 'til my next incarnation.unenlightened

Noo, need a wise kind voice hereabouts.
  • frank
    Bernanke says we're going to slide into stagflation.
  • Cuthbert
    We said: "You can't treat share certificates as having a value independent of business value."
    They said: "You don't understand the stock market."
    Then 1929 happened.

We said: "You can't lend money without proper security"
    They said: "You don't understand modern banking and complex financial instruments"
    Then 2008 happened.

We said: "You can't just print money when you've run out. It will lose its value and cause inflation."
    They said: "It's 'quantitative easing', you simple man. You don't understand economics."
    Now what's happening?
  • T Clark
    We said: "You can't just print money when you've run out. It will lose its value and cause inflation."
    They said: "It's 'quantitative easing', you simple man. You don't understand economics."
    Now what's happening?
    Cuthbert

To equate today's inflation with the depression and the 2008 crash shows a lack of perspective. I remember in the 1980s when inflation was greater than 10%. That, along with our babies bowel movements and house prices, was all we talked about with our neighbors at parties. That wasn't the only time we had serious inflation since the war. We haven't had to deal with it much in the past 30 years or so, so people have forgotten or never knew.

Doesn't mean what's going on isn't important. Come back in a year and maybe you'll be able to say "I told you so."
  • T Clark
    The Philosophy Forum i-faqs:

• What ever happened to Jamalrob?
    • Why is [deleted] such a dumbass?
    • Who is the Knee-chi guy everyone’s always talking about?
    • Don’t any of the members have jobs?
    • How did they find so many wise and even-handed members to be moderators? No…seriously.
    • Where is this “Australia” place everybody says they come from? Sounds like a made up name to me.
    • How come so many people misspell “color” and “humor?”
    • Has anyone else noted that moderators only ban people on dates divisible by both 2 and 3.
  • Cuthbert
    "I told you so."T Clark

I like to pretend I know something when I know nothing. But even that doesn't make me special.
  • Cuthbert
    Has anyone else noted that moderators only ban people on dates divisible by both 2 and 3T Clark

I can't believe there are actual numbers divisible by both 2 and 3. They must be very rare, at least.
  • T Clark
    I can't believe there are actual numbers divisible by both 2 and 3. They must be very rare, at least.Cuthbert

6, 12, 18, 24, 30
  • Noble Dust

The real question is whatever happened to @Agustino? :chin:
  • T Clark
    The real question is whatever happened to Agustino?Noble Dust

Yes. He was a pain in the ass, but in retrospect he looks like a regular Chopin-hour or Can't.
  • Noble Dust
    he looks like a regular Chopin-hour or Can't.T Clark

I don’t know what this means.
  • Hanover
    I can't believe there are actual numbers divisible by both 2 and 3. They must be very rare, at least.Cuthbert

It might be the case that every number is divisible by 2 and 3. For example, 29 divided by 3 is 29 thirds.

Reminds me of a dad joke. If you have 3 apples and 5 people, how do you divide them up?

Make applesauce.

Speaking of dads, my dad's favorite applesauce was Motts chunky applesauce

Speaking of dads and food, once I threw a sliced mushroom in my dad's bowl of tomato soup he had on the stove. He asked me why I did that, and I told him I was making One Mushroom Soup and the winner would be the one who got the mushroom in their bowl. It became the way we made our tomato soup from then on out.

Thought I'd share that food story with you. It's a pretty good one I think.
  • Jamal
    The real question is whatever happened to Agustino?Noble Dust

I predicted he would burn brightly and thereafter disappear. Something to do with youth.
  • T Clark
    Schopenhauer or Kant.L'éléphant

I never explain my jokes. Thank you for filling in for me.
  • Hanover
    My research revealed that Agustino last posted 4 years ago and was last online 2 years ago, at which time he incinerated, casting a fiery white light in the sky, having something to do with youth.
  • Noble Dust

I heard through the grapevine he became a monk. :brow:
  • Cuthbert
    29 divided by 3 is 29 thirdsHanover

I think you are right. I tried it several ways and it always seems to come out just as you report.

Thought I'd share that food story with you. It's a pretty good one I thinkHanover

And rather touching. And safer than a sixpence in the Christmas pudding.
  • Tom Storm
    heard through the grapevine he became a monk. :brow:Noble Dust

Capuchins or Hare Krishnas?
  • T Clark
    Capuchins or Hare Krishnas?Tom Storm

Troy McClure in "Planet of the Apes - the Musical.+
  • SpaceDweller
    Question:
    If I quote someone in new reply they will receive notification.

then If I edit my post to quote someone else in same post, will they receive notification as well since it's an edit of exising post?
  • T Clark
    then If I edit my post to quote someone else in same post, will they receive notification as well since it's an edit of exising post?SpaceDweller

Unfortunately, no. If you add a quote after you've first posted it, the person quoted won't be notified.
  • SpaceDweller

Sad, I think "edit post" should account for new quotes.
    Admins what do you think of this?
  • Michael
    Nothing we can do, that's just how the software works.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions