• praxis
    Several Dr. Suess books have been banned for being racist and consequently their value as a collector items has skyrocketed, so if you have any racist Suess books laying around you just got a little richer. :chin:
  • Sir2u
    Several Dr. Suess books have been banned for being racistpraxis

They will be banning the hobbit books soon as well, because there are only normal and little people in them. That discriminates against giants.

The Lord of the rings will follow for discriminating against the poor trees that cannot speak.

Where will it all end. :cry:
  • frank
    Where will it all end. :cry:Sir2u

Climate Change
  • Baden

Saw that earlier today. It's an unfortunate but pretty much inevitable consequence of a hard Brexit that one of the two sides would do this.
  • frank
    "What the Mexico case demonstrated, however, was a key difference between liberal and neoliberal practice: under the former, lenders take the losses that arise from bad investment decisions, while under the latter the borrowers are forced by state and international powers to take on board the cost of debt repayment no matter what the consequences for the livelihood and well-being of the local population. If this required the surrender of assets to foreign companies at fire-sale prices, then so be it."

David Harvey, Brief History of Neoliberalism
  • Amity
    On 8th March every year is International Women's Day.
    This year the theme is: 'Choosing to Challenge'.
    How many get to choose ?
  • jamalrob

s9c3yt6ufyn1db4z.jpg

"8th of March is the day of rebellion of the working women against kitchen slavery. Down with the oppression and narrow-mindedness of household work!"

EDIT: According to wiki that poster is from 1932, later than I would have expected.
  • Amity

Wow ! Brilliant poster. Did it start the Russian Revolution ?
    I just found another one dated 1914, banned in the German Empire:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women's_Day
    Translation, anyone ?
  • jamalrob
    It was crucial in the February Revolution (March in the Gregorian calendar), and then the Bolsheviks made it a national holiday, as it still is today here in Russia.
  • Amity

I thought at first you were kidding me.
    I had no idea of the role of women in that Revolution. From wiki:

On 23 February O.S. (8 March N.S.), Putilov protesters were joined in the uprising by those celebrating International Woman's Day and protesting against the government's implemented food rationing.[31] As the Russian government began rationing flour and bread, rumors of food shortages circulated and bread riots erupted across the city of Petrograd.[31] Women, in particular, were passionate in showing their dissatisfaction with the implemented rationing system, and the female workers marched to nearby factories to recruit over 50,000 workers for the strikes.[32] Both men and women flooded the streets of Petrograd, demanding an end to Russian food shortages, the end of World War I and the end of autocracy.

Since delving into family history - particularly both grandads' experience in WW1 - I have been in awe and dismay at the conditions of both men and women.

Today I start an online genealogy course (FutureLearn). It covers not only documented data as basis for research but puts it into context - flesh on the bones. The historical and social aspects bringing ancestors to life.

This fascinates me.
    I have elsewhere called such qualitative material 'the gaps between the snaps'.
    Biographical facts, photographs or posters are fine but so much lies behind.
    They can lead to much richer stories...
  • jamalrob
    Cool. I used to dismiss family history but I've come to see it as a window on the past, a useful standpoint.
  • Amity
    I used to dismiss family history but I've come to see it as a window on the past,jamalrob

With age comes wisdom, wrinkles and what ifs - not to mention 'What the fuck !' :smile:
  • jamalrob
    Indeed. :scream:
  • Amity
    I wish I had the time and energy to spend on starting and maintaining a thread.
    If I had, I might 'Choose the Challenge' as per International Women's Day (IWD) to discuss and share how many women have been influential in our lives and how little thanks they receive.

Currently:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/08/half-of-women-in-uk-fear-equality-is-going-back-to-1970s-survey

Not only women, how many times do we thank people in general ?
    Do we even think of our ancestors and their contributions ? I'm beginning to appreciate their lives and the conditions they lived in. The experiences they survived in e.g. WW1.
    It is amazing I am even here to write this.

I remember quickly skipping over Book 1 of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations.
    So many people he thanked. One mention of his mother and later a brief reference to sisters.

What he learned from his mother:
    From my mother, piety and beneficence, and abstinence, not only from evil deeds, but even from evil thoughts; and further, simplicity in my way of living, far removed from the habits of the rich.Trans: George Long

http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.html

And it wasn't until today that I realised the role of women in the Russian February Revolution.
    Thanks to @jamalrob :sparkle:
    Celebrating the day :party:
  • Amity
    Global pics. Quite the range of colour and issues.
    The only one that jarred with me was from London, England:

A black and white set up.
    "Female police officers and special constables talk to a suspect following a stop and search in Southwark during an all-female operation by the Metropolitan police, the first of its kind for the force, to commemorate International Women’s Day"

The most surprising from Bahadurgar, India.
    A field of gold.
    Female farmers at a protest against new agriculture laws

The most striking black and orange. Tel Aviv, Israel.
    A woman outside the district court holds a placard that reads: ‘I refuse to be next’, as others stand next to mock coffins to represent women killed as a result of domestic violence

The most impersonal. A heart from Vladivostok, Russia.
    Windows are lit at the Primorye Territory government building to form the shape of a heart.

Main image of joy and a flask from Athens, Greece
    Women join a demonstration in front of the parliament building.
    Any excuse for a party :cool: and look at the :mask:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2021/mar/08/international-womens-day-around-the-world-in-pictures
  • T Clark

Ok. I'll talk about some women:
    • My mother, who died when I was 12. I remember her, but it was so long ago. My brothers and I definitely have a lot of her genes
    • My stepmother. She was no kind of mother to me - she didn't marry my dad till I was 30, but she is my children's wonderful grandmother. She took care of my father during the year he had cancer before he died. Maybe most of all, both before and after my father died, she kept our family together. Provided a family home we hadn't had for a long time. My biological family get along pretty well, but we tend to fly off in our own directions. She made a place where we could be together.
    • My daughter - Really smart. Appreciates ... not appreciates, tolerates my jokes and other quirks. Loves her brothers and loves learning our family history. I call her Twinkle even though she's 38.
    • My closest friend - I've known her since High School, 50 years. Probably the smartest person I know. She see's the world in a really different way than I do and she has changed the way I think about the world. Loyal and true. Serious, but laughs at my jokes. Does not suffer fools, of which I am one.

And yes, I have thanked them all.

Finished before midnight, so it counts.
  • Amity

I love what you say and the way that you say it. Bullet points can sometimes be a bit stale and sterile. Yours made me want to read more of your wonderful story.

This bit grabbed me.
    She was no kind of mother to meT Clark
    I thought that it was going to lead to a wicked stepmother scenario. So pleased it didn't but as usual it raised more questions.

What is it to be a mother - define 'motherhood'. I found a blog which undefines it:
    https://undefiningmotherhood.com/why-undefining/

My mother is the one who taught me to say 'Thank you'.
    A story oft repeated was when I was very young and we visited much older female relatives.
    Apparently, I charmed them when leaving at the front door ( I remember the smell of honeysuckle ) I turned round and said 'Thank you for the tea and biscuits'.
    Clearly coached, I wonder if a curtsy was also part of the piece :smile:

Also, Mum encouraged me to write letters after receiving Christmas gifts. That's how it clicked with me that there was no Santa Claus. Anyway, why would Santa give me navy blue gym knickers :brow:
    They were definitely not on my list whereas books were always appreciated.
    ( Hmmm, thinking about it, I never wrote wish letters to Santa - that's where I went wrong ! )

Letter writing was always important to me. And I still love to read that format.
    The first book, of that ilk, I remember was 'Daddy Long Legs' by Jean Webster:

https://literature.fandom.com/wiki/Daddy_Long_Legs#:~:text=Daddy%20Long%20Legs%20is%20a%201912%20novel%20by,write%20him%20via%20his%20secretary%20once%20a%20month.

Judy, an orphan, writes letters to her anonymous trustee for 4 years without receiving a reply.
    She tells him about the books she is reading:

They include Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poems (including Locksley Hall), Vanity Fair, Rudyard Kipling's Plain Tales, Little Women", Matthew Arnold's poems, works of Robert Louis Stevenson including Treasure Island, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, The Portrait of a Lady, On the Trail, the plays of William Shakespeare including specific mention of Hamlet and As You Like It, Marie Bashkirtseff's journal, Jane Eyre, Life and Letters of Thomas Huxley, William Wordsworth's Tintern Abbey and poems of Percy Bysshe Shelley, Lord Byron and John Keats.

This kind of mention in books - or letters - encouraged me to read more, and more...still does.

Would love to hear more about letter writing in philosophy. Who wrote what to who and why...

Cheers :sparkle:
  • T Clark
    What is it to be a mother - define 'motherhood'.Amity

I'll give you an engineer's perspective on what it means to be a mother. Your biological mother is, of course, your mother. Beyond that, it is a woman who, for better or worse, is built into the superstructure of who you are. They knew you from before you can remember anything. More importantly, you knew them from before you can remember anything. They, along with your father, taught you what the world is.

Engineers love bullet points.
  • Amity

Interesting and debatable perspective .
    Hallmark, for one, would definitely have a wider view; a more commercial take re Mother's Day, disowned by its inventor:

https://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/05/the-inventor-of-mothers-day-disowned-the-holiday-and-so-should-we-all/275763/

Anyway, best leave it there. Don't think that a mini thread is what The Shoutbox is all about.
    Someone will be along soon to tell me to get off my soapbox :scream: :smile:
    Lovely chatting to you.
  • Shawn
    I R E L A N D   U N F R E E   W I L L   N E V E R   B E   A T   P E A C E

• Khalid
    Hello, I'm new here. Anyone to welcome me ?
  • Sir2u
    Never sign up to a philosophy forum on a Friday, it's managements day off so there is no welcome committee around until tomorrow.
    But hi there anyway.
  • Khalid
    Thank you very much. In fact i didn't literally want to be welcomed. I wanted to see if there was someone to have a chat with.
  • Sir2u
    Most of the time we don't really chat around here, we are snobs and have discussions. :wink: There is not even a chat attached to the forum. Most of us don't spend that much time here for it to be useful.
    This is the only thread where it is permitted to have little conversations in, the rest are for the discussions about serious stuff.
    You should look around and see if there are any threads that interest you enough to participate. Think about what you write though.
    Have fun.
  • Shawn
    I shudder thinking I made a million or 10's of millions off of Bitcoin in my 20's when I had the chance to invest in it. What a pointless and wasted life that would have been.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Khalid
    Sorry for not welcoming you!
    Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
    Enjoy your stay :flower:
    @Shawn
    Did you invest? If so, what coin are you into?
    Doge is a fun one to watch as is Raven.
    I hope life is treating you well :flower:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    30+ years ago, I started my formal education at the Scottsdale Community College, home of the infamous Artichokes!
    I took time off to raise our children and did a kick ass job!
    Now as our eldest is graduating with his Bachelor's degree in Simulated Science his Mom is also graduating with two Associate degrees!
    He is continuing on to get his Masters either in the USA or Australia and I am continuing on to ASU for my Bachelor's in Social Work with a Master's as my final destination as well. We are an excited group of people heading into a world full of love and happiness
    :party: :love:
  • T Clark
    He is continuing on to get his Masters either in the USA or Australia and I am continuing on to ASU for my Bachelor's in Social Work with a Master's as my final destination as well. We are an excited group of people heading into a world full of love and happinessArguingWAristotleTiff

Congratulations to both of you. My 35 year old son is going back to school now with a goal of a social work degree too.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions