• Robert Lockhart
    War, like scaling the Eiger, is for some a required thing. Risk-takers are generally more alive in that respect.
  • Sapientia
    Look, Meryl is not happy, Whoopie swore she would move, along with a bunch of other folks if Trump was elected. Though I did not EVER want Hillary, anywhere near the Presidential office, I never said that if she was elected, I would leave the country. If these folks are so worked up about the 45th President elect, such as yourself Sapientia, then please open your arms and welcome the lot of them in.
    The USA is to be United and Meryl along with Elizabeth Warren don't want to unite so let them go, be free!
    In the meantime, the rest of us are going to do what we have been doing, day in and day out and that is working our asses off to obtain clients that pay, stay and refer. They are the bread and butter of our small business existence and in the last 8 years the strangle hold of regulations has been near lethal for the businesses that we help grow. There is not a single small business owner, in OUR profession of POS (Point Of Sale) computer networking business, that is not GENUINELY excited about what the next 4-8 yrs hold.
    And Sapientia my fine feathered friend, excitement in the small business world is like gasoline being poured onto a log of Pitch that has been smoldering for almost a decade.
    Like a Phoenix, the USA is rising from the ashes.
    ArguingWAristotleTiff

Are you suggesting that anyone critical - and rightly so, by the way - of Donald Trump is unwelcome in the US? How can you people keep jumping to this man's defence? Irrespective of who is wrong and who is right here - and it's clear to me which way around it is - just compare the criticism with it's reply. On the one hand, you've got a thoughtful, eloquent, passionate speech; and on the other hand, you've got a childish name-calling and outright denial.

It's weird. It's like the moral of the boy who cried wolf somehow doesn't apply when it comes to Trump. Caught red handed? Yes. Apologise? No. Just deny it and call 'em a name, and large swathes of people will lap it up and jump to your defence. Instead of taking the side of those in defence of the victim, take the side of the powerful, tax dodging, immoral, lying, narcissistic, bully.
  • mcdoodle
    War, like scaling the Eiger, is for some a required thing.Robert Lockhart

I've sometimes thought there must be something unmanly in me, that I don't fancy scaling the Eiger, nor marching as to war, or off to, war.
  • Sapientia
    I've sometimes thought there must be something unmanly in me, that I don't fancy scaling the Eiger, nor marching as to war, or off to, war.mcdoodle

What?! Who wouldn't want the chance to kill people or get shot or blown to pieces or have to have a limb or two removed or captured and tortured...?
  • mcdoodle
    What?! Who wouldn't want the chance to kill people or get shot or blown to pieces or have to have a limb or two removed or captured and tortured...?Sapientia

And yet I see people who looked just like me, in 1914, eagerly joining their mates to go off and help that nice Lord Kitchener. And in faraway countries lots of bold youngsters eager to repel invaders.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    You know that's a myth, right? In the real world nothing rises from the ashes except the stench of burning corpses.unenlightened

un, have I told you that you have a hell of a way with words? (Y)
    but
    I respectfully disagree with your colorful assertion of the Phoenix and the legend of the Phoenix, not just from living in Phoenix but from my Instructor in Greek Mythology back in college (the man was an amazing instructor but that is for another time ;) ) . True the Phoenix does turn into ashes after living 500 years HOWEVER a new bird rises from the ashes.
    Still I rise comes to mind, maybe you have heard it...

"Just like moons and like suns,
    With the certainty of tides,
    Just like hopes springing high,
    Still I'll rise."
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Deregulation will probably help small business owners like yourselves, but that doesn't make Trump's overall economic plan of more spending (infrastructure, the military, his hair) and less revenue (massive tax cuts for the rich), desirable. (Do the math).Baden

I don't agree with everything Trump is proposing I assure you. I have great reservations on what his administration can and might attempt to thwart the will of the voters regarding MANY issues and industries close to my heart and health. However, when it comes to deregulation, I have expectations NOT hopes. I will hold any president accountable for what happens under their watch in the same way that I am responsible for my children, while under my watch and extends to anyone I entrust their care into. It's not a light topic nor should any of them be. Leave the States to care for those that pay for their state to do so.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    It's all fun and games until somebody creates an image of a continent full of smoking corpses.Mongrel

Ya know?
  • unenlightened
    Great poem. But let me try and put the fear of Putin into you. He has defeated the west in Ukraine, he has trounced us in Syria, and he has defeated the American people in their own election. Europe is falling apart, and Your new leader has been persuaded to turn his baleful eye away from Russia and towards China, while you own country looks set to spiral towards corruption, tyranny and civil war.

Trump isn't a player, he's pawn and he's not even one of your pawns.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Are you suggesting that anyone critical - and rightly so, by the way - of Donald Trump is unwelcome in the US? How can you people keep jumping to this man's defense? Irrespective of who is wrong and who is right here - and it's clear to me which way around it is - just compare the criticism with it's reply. On the one hand, you've got a thoughtful, eloquent, passionate speech; and on the other hand, you've got a childish name-calling and outright denial.

It's weird. It's like the moral of the boy who cried wolf somehow doesn't apply when it comes to Trump. Caught red handed? Yes. Apologize? No. Just deny it and call 'em a name, and large swathes of people will lap it up and jump to your defense. Instead of taking the side of those in defense of the victim, take the side of the powerful, tax dodging, immoral, lying, narcissistic, bully.
    Sapientia

Of course that is not what I said, nor was it the spirit of my words to apply to ANYONE who disagrees with our next President, which by the way Donald Trump is.
    I don't agree with everything ANY President has said, nor do I feel the need to defend his every comment or decision. I have very few hills that I would be willing to die on in regards to my Governments position but there are a couple. AND I assure you that there are PLENTY of other Americans that are going to try at every turn, to keep our President 'in check' on the hills they are willing to die on.
    For instance: the great southern wall that Trump is building will have to cross over 75 miles of a Tribal Nation, which has decided that they will not let a bigger wall be built on. The Tribal Chief has made it clear that it IS a hill he is willing to die on.
    Wants and desires will be challenged and Trump seems to be following the Reagan theory of getting 80% of the folks in your camp and go back for the other 20%. Seeing as Arizona is almost 70% non Caucasian, it is not in their best interest to honor the immigration ideas that Trump suggested as a nominee.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Great poem. But let me try and put the fear of Putin into you. He has defeated the west in Ukraine, he has trounced us in Syria, and he has defeated the American people in their own election. Europe is falling apart, and Your new leader has been persuaded to turn his baleful eye away from Russia and towards China, while you own country looks set to spiral towards corruption, tyranny and civil war.

Trump isn't a player, he's pawn and he's not even one of your pawns.
    unenlightened

un, you know my respect for you and your thoughts, so trust me when I share the same fear that you speak of. The problem is that 'this horse' has left the barn. Meaning it was within the Obama administration that the USA was shown to be 'weak and apologetic' and for the last 8 years, our country has been destroying itself from the top down. I am not judging what those who voted for Obama expected but he met my expectation but I need not digress into how he achieved such a sub-level assessment.
    Our government is meant to be 'up' for a new leader every 4 years and only two terms for the very reason you are witnessing now. We do not wish to experience another civil war but if we didn't learn anything the first time, then we are doomed to repeat it. As far as corruption? It is in every administration and I doubt that will ever change but tyranny?
    On November 8th, we stood at the final toll, AFTER all the warning signs of Trump and Clinton were exposed and we as a collective of states, called a union, voted and the election was won. I am going to give Trump the best shot I can because I want to see our nation not just survive but thrive.
    I do hope in your heart of hearts, that Americans thriving is something you wish to see as well, as I have never wished anything but the best for you.
    What more can I do?
  • unenlightened
    I do hope in your heart of hearts, that Americans thriving is something you wish to see as well, as I have never wished anything but the best for you.
    What more can I do?
    ArguingWAristotleTiff

Unfortunately, I have no faith at all in the efficacy of my wishes for your thriving. America will decline; it does not look as if it will do so gracefully or peacefully. By all means give it your best shot, but keep the larder well stocked.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Unfortunately, I have no faith at all in the efficacy of my wishes for your thriving. America will decline; it does not look as if it will do so gracefully or peacefully. By all means give it your best shot, but keep the larder well stocked.unenlightened

Why is it that you so often agree with that little voice inside my head, that starts trying to change my opinion, every time I head out with the best of intentions, regardless of the doubters of my success or the cheerleaders of my failures.
  • Mongrel
    I hope your business thrives under the Trump administration. The US government usually has limited control over the US economy. Though it's become common to judge the government by how well the economy is doing, that tendency reveals attitudes that are at variance with reality.

As for the greatness of the US... the US rose to prominence in the 1940s after most of the world had exhausted itself in global war. It was a unique set of circumstances. Though some Americans dreamed of the American Century... others dreamed of the US taking a place in a global coalition... the UN (that didn't work out, obviously.)

As for the future, the 22 Century will be very different by virtue of an energy crisis due to depletion of oil and gas. The US is in a pretty secure position. So is Russia and China. Europe, on the other hand, heavily dependent now on gas, will face much greater challenges. One possibility is retrogression.

In other words.. change is on the horizon. There may be some aspects of the future that we haven't even guessed.
  • Banno
    Just watching. But I think the USA is fucked.
  • Buxtebuddha
    The US government usually has limited control over the US economy.Mongrel

star-trek6.gif
  • Agustino

Mongrel I think Heister wants something from you :-*
  • Buxtebuddha
    I want to control her economy, mmmyeah.
  • Agustino
    It's good, you can start by being a plumber and fixing the pipes - if you control them, you'll certainly rule over the economy :D
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.