• Merkwurdichliebe
    It’s the opening paragraph of the article - Dennett’s words, not mine. But go off.Luke

I know, sorry for attributing it to you, it was a technical error, I quoted something you quoted. Nevertheless, it holds.
  • fdrake
    How is this consistent with Dennett’s claimed acknowledgement that conscious experience has properties?Luke

Tried to get at this tension here and here here. Maybe a decent analogy is:

If I write this program for my computer:

addit=function(x,y){
    thesum=x+y
    return(thesum)
    }

then I call it on arguments (1,2):

addit(1,2)

so it returns 3.

One way of explaining what the program did is: "the program added the natural number 1 to the natural number 2 and computed the result, it then outputted the result 3", but did my computer really add the natural number 1 to the natural number 2? Or was the process actually more like: "fdrake opened up a software environment and wrote in high level code and called it, the computer took that calling instruction and through a laborious process translated the input lines of code into machine code, which caused a bunch of transistors allocated for the task to enter into a specific complex of high and low voltage states, which gets passed up back a complex of circuits into the software environment and the display". If it's the latter, adopting the first description will be an inaccurate approximation that gets even the type of entities wrong; the physical process in the computer is not adding mathematical abstractions together, there aren't even any natural numbers in my computer; but it's a decent functional explanation for a demonstrative purpose. IE, the first is essentially a lie to children, which may suffice for some purposes but certainly not understanding what was actually going on in (in!) my computer.

If we describe our experience of a red patch as a combination of a shape quale and a colour quale combined in experience, perhaps it is a lie to children of the same sort. It maybe gets the type of entities wrong (do we have shape qualia or shape-colour qualia? Do we have the red-quale or the this-patch-red-quale?), it maybe refers to entities which are non-representative placeholders for the system in question (am I justified in believing that I am experiencing an experiential entity derived from the red patch or am I experiencing a red patch?), it maybe gets how they are combined wrong (am I justified in believing that there is an operation of typing/categorisation within my experience that apportions colour qualia independently of shape ones in the manner I do introspectively?), it maybe gets the mechanism of their identification wrong (I assigned "the natural number 1" to the symbol "1" in that code, but it isn't what the computer was doing as a matter of internal procedure - an act of intellectual blurring similar to the synthesis of an experience into distinctly typed entities which are claimed to be experienced together). I believe what is being gestured towards in part is that our "pre-theoretical" notions (and resultant qualia ones that leverage them) are not fit for task for understanding the structure+operation of the internal states of people (in!) - another part is leaning on that internal/external distinction itself in some ways (criticising the "private" part of qualia).
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    internal/external distinctionfdrake

It is an old philosophical puzzle covered by much better philosophers, much better. Berkeley and Hume come to mind. From no scientific discovery since them has there been any progress on the question of q.
  • Luke
    I think you're pretty off the mark here exegetically Kenosha Kid,fdrake

I tend to agree with @Kenosha Kid's exegesis generally.

This is how I read the article (in part):

(1) Ineffable
    Dennett does not specify which qualia property is being criticised by which intuition pump, so presumably they are all under attack by every pump. He quotes Wittgenstein as part of his attack on ineffability, it seems. However, I consider this a misreading. Wittgenstein was railing against the idea of private meaning/language, not private experience:

307. “Aren’t you nevertheless a behaviourist in disguise? Aren’t you nevertheless basically saying that everything except human behaviour is a fiction?” — If I speak of a fiction, then it is of a grammatical fiction. — Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations

Dennett is not claiming that the word "qualia" has a private meaning, and Wittgenstein is not a behaviorist in disguise (as much as Dennett might wish him to be). It seems fairly clear that for Wittgenstein some things are ineffable:

78. Compare knowing and saying:

how many metres high Mont Blanc is —
    how the word “game” is used —
    how a clarinet sounds.

Someone who is surprised that one can know something and not be able to say it is perhaps thinking of a case like the first. Certainly not of one like the third.
    — Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations

(2) Intrinsic
    This seems to be Dennett's most forceful point of attack, which is well summarised in this section:

One dimly imagines taking such cases and stripping them down gradually to the essentials, leaving their common residuum, the way things look, sound, feel, taste, smell to various individuals at various times, independently of how those individuals are stimulated or non- perceptually affected, and independently of how they are subsequently disposed to behave or believe. The mistake is not in supposing that we can in practice ever or always perform this act of purification with certainty, but the more fundamental mistake of supposing that there is such a residual property to take seriously, however uncertain our actual attempts at isolation of instances might be. — Dennett

A vociferous attack on "raw feels". However, as I would respond to most of his attacks throughout the article, it does nothing to mitigate the opening definition of qualia as "how things seem to us", or more relevantly - in the first-person - as "how things seem to me". "[T]he way things look, sound, feel, taste, smell...at various times" will always be coloured by how I am "stimulated or perceptually affected", by how I am "subsequently disposed to behave or believe", and - probably among many other factors - by what judgments I make about those sense data. All of that is constitutive of "how things seem to me", or of how a particular taste, sound, sight, etc, seems to me at a particular time. In this sense it is possible that qualia might be considered as "intrinsic"; not in spite of the associated "stimulations", "perceptual affects", "dispositions" or judgments, but because of them.

That's at least a start of my reading.
  • Luke
    I should probably also add this:

There is a strong temptation, I have found, to respond to my claims in this paper more or less as follows: "But after all is said and done, there is still something I know in a special way: I know how it is with me right now." But if absolutely nothing follows from this presumed knowledge--nothing, for instance, that would shed any light on the different psychological claims that might be true of Chase or Sanborn--what is the point of asserting that one has it? — Dennett

Why do we need to get at truth here? How things seem to me is just that, irrespective of what any supposed truth of the matter may be. This is a requirement for illusions and the like to make any sense: if things did not seem to X to be a particular way--which is other than how they are/should be--then there could be no illusions or (e.g.) anomalies of colour perception.

the physiological facts will not in themselves shed any light on where in the stream of physiological process twixt tasting and telling to draw the line at which the putative qualia appear as properties of that phase of the process. — Dennett (intuition pump #8)

Why should qualia advocates be required to provide physiological, third-person explanations? That's the concern of those who expect there to be an eliminative account.
  • Olivier5
    Do you correlate introspection/reflection and equilibrium with a particular organ (e.g. seeing with eyes or feeling with skin)?Merkwurdichliebe

The vestibular system, in vertebrates, is part of the inner ear. In most mammals, it is the sensory system that provides the leading contribution to the sense of balance and spatial orientation for the purpose of coordinating movement with balance. Together with the cochlea, a part of the auditory system, it constitutes the labyrinth of the inner ear in most mammals.

Neural pathway of vestibular/balance system
    As movements consist of rotations and translations, the vestibular system comprises two components: the semicircular canals, which indicate rotational movements; and the otoliths, which indicate linear accelerations. The vestibular system sends signals primarily to the neural structures that control eye movement; these provide the anatomical basis of thevestibulo-ocular reflex, which is required for clear vision.
    — Wikipedia

Self-awareness is immediacy itself, and not a faculty that mediates existenceMerkwurdichliebe
    I doubt it, seriously. One reason is that human beings are quite opaque to themselves, able to hide things from themselves. There are such a thing as unconscious thoughts and this pleads against immediacy.
  • Olivier5
    Question for those who have actually read the paper and whose intelligence wasn't insulted by it (for some odd reason):

Apparently Dennett doesn't like the taste of cauliflower. He writes:

Intuition pump #1: watching you eat cauliflower. I see you tucking eagerly into a helping of steaming cauliflower, the merest whiff of which makes me faintly nauseated, and I find myself wondering how you could possible relish that taste, and then it occurs to me that to you, cauliflower probably tastes (must taste?) different.

How can he possibly dislike something that by his own reckoning doesn't actually exist?
  • bongo fury
    How can he possibly dislike something that by his own reckoning doesn't actually exist?Olivier5

Translation of talk about nothing into talk about something often takes some trouble...Nelson Goodman: Sights Unseen
  • Isaac
    OK, what is your explanation for how non-conscious stuff, when assembled the right way, can produce consciousness? Because that seems like magic to meRogueAI

Consciousness is just the tendency to be able to report on mental activity and it's caused by the neurons which produce language, movement and other awareness-mediated responses being stimulated by the neurons constituting the processing of sensory inputs to which that awareness relates. I'm genuinely dumbfounded as to how or why anyone finds this in the least bit difficult to imagine.
  • Kenosha Kid

(1) ineffable (2) intrinsic (3) private (4) directly or immediately apprehensible in consciousness Thus are qualia introduced onto the philosophical stage....Theorists of the contrary persuasion have patiently and ingeniously knocked down all the arguments, and said most of the right things, but they have made a tactical error, I am claiming, of saying in one way or another: "We theorists can handle those qualia you talk about just fine; we will show that you are just slightly in error about the nature of qualia." What they ought to have said is: "What qualia?"

This says merely that Dennett is denying the existence of ineffable, intrinsic, private and immediate qualia, or any slight variation thereof, which does not contradict my argument. The qualia that I think underlie our pretheoretical ideas are not much like those we're familiar with, since they are outputs of processes we are largely unfamiliar with.

... the source concept, the "pretheoretical" notion of which the former are presumed to be refinements, is so thoroughly confused that even if we undertook to salvage some "lowest common denominator" from the theoreticians' proposals, any acceptable version would have to be so radically unlike the ill-formed notions that are commonly appealed to that it would be tactically obtuse--not to say Pickwickian--to cling to the term. Far better, tactically, to declare that there simply are no qualia at all. Endnote 2

Here Dennett is talking about existing theoretical ideas of what qualia are, and how any common element between them would be so meagre as to be useless. The reason for this is that, while:

"Qualia" is an unfamiliar term for something that could not be more familiar to each of us: the ways things seem to us

it doesn't imply that familiarity teaches people anything, i.e. that the pre-theoretical ideas of qualia are any better than the theoretical, which is true, but again does not contradict my point.

The mistake is not in supposing that we can in practice ever or always perform this act of purification with certainty, but the more fundamental mistake of supposing that there is such a residual property to take seriously, however uncertain our actual attempts at isolation of instances might be.

Here Dennett is talking about the intrinsic nature of qualia, that we can isolate the taste of cauliflower at one moment and at another and be talking about the same thing. He's right, there's nothing to isolate in this regard. If you removed everything about one particular moment, you'd have nothing left to compare, hence I said:

This is his issue with the intrinsic qualities of qualia: that you can meaningfully compare two. But this is not demanded by our conscious experiences. It is not our rational minds that generally determine that the car is the same colour as it was yesterday, rather the colour of the car is part of how we recognise it as ours.Kenosha Kid
  • Olivier5

Translation of talk about nothing into talk about something often take some troubleNelson Goodman: Sights Unseen
    Indeed. Especially when the writer keeps casually and carelessly using concepts that he also contends are meaningless. This can only lead to confusion.

If there is no such thing as "how the taste of cauliflower appears to Dennett", why does Dennett dislike the taste of cauliflower?

How come I personally hate beetroot in any and all preparations, and how come I can spot that particular horrendous taste of beetroot in a mix of tastes eg mashed with other tubers?
  • Isaac
    if the error arises ultimately from treating experience as an entity which bears properties, how is it any better to treat it as an entity which bears relations (or other high order predicates)?fdrake

Indeed. I hadn't noticed until you quoted it, but I think there is a tension there which I'd certainly not side with Dennet on, if that's what he's implying, but I'm not sure. I read that quote as saying that the one thing we can be sure of is that the expected response to sipping coffee (action, not experience of) has changed. This is not memory reliant because it's not internal - "Didn't I used to enthusiastically ask for a second cup?". So something's changed. We can drop 'sweetness' out of it altogether if we like. Event A used to lead to event B, now it doesn't so some A-B causal link is different. Without getting into Humean induction issues, I think we can say that much.

The salient point in the devil's advocate is that the "fundamental error" seems to be claiming that or acting as if we experience experiential entities (which have or may be experiential properties), rather than experience itself being a mode of our interaction with entities.

That looks to me one way of fleshing out it being okay to say "The coffee tasted sweet today" but not "My subjective experience of today's coffee was partially constituted by a quale of sweetness".
    fdrake

Yeah. My memory of reading the text before looking at it again for this thread was actually just something like - "we can't tell if our changed responses to an event are because the interpretation of the sense data have changed or because our memory-associated judgement of them has changed. As such we don't have any privileged access to these 'qualia' than the neuroscientists do, let's drop the whole term" I'd actually forgotten all the more nuanced arguments leading up to and stemming from that, so it's certainly what I see as the central argument. If there's nothing privileged about our access, then there's nothing first-person and the whole matter might as well be discussed in the third-person terms we already have.
  • Isaac

Not sure of the extent to which my reply here helps, but when you've had a chance to have a read of that...

It's really difficult to stick completely to exegesis when so much of the question of what Dennet might have been getting at requires some external 'rounding out' of what the issues are, so I sympathise with your posting dilemma. I'm happy to see if we can continue the subject matter here and if everyone gets annoyed about that then we'll just have to nurse our slapped wrists.
  • Jamal
    I kind of panicked as my post wasn't at all driven by Quining Qualia itself. I should have just brought it back to the text.Kenosha Kid

It's really difficult to stick completely to exegesis when so much of the question of what Dennet might have been getting at requires some external 'rounding out' of what the issues are, so I sympathise with your posting dilemma.Isaac

Though I haven't been contributing, I've been reading along and I have an opinion on this (Banno and fdrake may think differently but probably don't): so long as you've read the article and you're engaging with Dennett's views on qualia, then go for it. It doesn't have to be only exegesis. I posted a warning yesterday just because there were some people posting who had obviously not read the article and were here just to spout their anti-Dennett opinions.

Carry on :smile:
  • Kenosha Kid

Thanks, sorry for the cross-posting. Let's stay here :)

Although it is important to note the cases you alluded to where we're conscious of our processing ("is that a car over there?") because in these cases we're still having an experience - so what is it an experience of? We haven't identified the object yet. Are we experiencing the quale of {some vague grey shape in the distance that we can't quite make out}? Possibly, but 1) that rather detaches quale form the object of experience, and 2) deciding what the thing is is definitely part of the experience, so what happens when we realise it's a car?Isaac

Yes, I agree. In this case, we still have pre-processed data in our consciousness -- the shape, distance, maybe some colour -- but no metadata tag 'car'. There would not be a car quale, just some generic 'object' quale, i.e. there still exists an object of subjective experience as tagged by its outline.

Proof of this is quite surprising (summary here).Isaac

Thanks, that was interesting.

The cascade of effects triggered by your interaction with that picture (and the environment you're in at the time, and any other neural processes which were half-way complete when they were interrupted by seeing that picture) will have, by now, had consequences, other than the triggering of your 'car' neuron many of which you could be consciously aware of.Isaac

Sure, that's fine. Here the 'car' quale means nothing more than that the image is presented for conscious appraisal with the 'car' tag, i.e. the 'car' neuron having fired with some degree of certainty.

your post hoc story is "I saw the car then all these other responses followed". That, provably, is not what really happened.Isaac

I'm not sure what responses you mean. What I said was that the car appears to me already identified as a car (except when it's not), i.e. I do not see the above image then work out consciously what the two foregrounded objects are.

All of this goings on were associated with what I finally decided was a carIsaac

Again, not sure what all these goings on means. I'm really just talking about the identification of an object in my visual field as a car, which is what is required to have an object in my subjective experience that is a car.

In fact all the evidence seems to point to there being nothing but a series of responses to the final object, of which it's colour is only one aspect.Isaac

Its colour, though, is not present in the raw sensory data. For instance, if the ambient light of something is dominated by yellow, it will appear dominated by white, i.e. the brain shifts the colour. Ergo there is a stage in between raw sensory input and final image that colourises to some extent.

again, we could call these stories qualia, but since they are in a constant state of flux, it seems incredibly difficult to get any useful function from doing so - "Which qualia ar you referring to? The one just now...or now...or now..."Isaac

Yes, I agree, this is Dennett's rejection of the intrinsic nature of qualia. I'm with you, and Dennett, on this, and I agree that this is what philosophers usually think of as qualia, incorrectly.

Thanks haha! I don't know why I did that.
  • Isaac
    there still exists an object of subjective experience as tagged by its outline.Kenosha Kid

I agree here insofar as you're saying that 'whatever we say of the realised car we can say of the unrealised grey blob', but that wasn't my intended target (sorry if my writing's not clear - in my defense I'm recently writing on a phone on the train and so I don't do as much overarching editing as I should). I brought up the {could-be-a-car} just to make it easier to imagine the conscious results cascading out of a sensory processing event. I've probably just ended up confusing matters. If you understood what I was saying about the conscious results which cascade out from the other firings extrinsic to the ventral pathway, then we needn't even worry about this blob/car distinction. The idea is that what we can say of one is what we can say of another - which, in terms of the subjective experience associated with either, is nothing much.

Here the 'car' quale means nothing more than that the image is presented for conscious appraisal with the 'car' tag, i.e. the 'car' neuron having fired with some degree of certainty.Kenosha Kid

I may be reading more into 'with' than you intended, but to be clear about what's going on neurologically, the image is being 'presented' without the car tag. Much of what's going on, even consciously, is going on before the car tag. You later (perhaps even seconds later) re-tell the story as happening in a better order (saw a thing->worked out it was a car->thought 'I could drive that'). Expermenting on this is really difficult because of the time lag in fMRI and the non-specificity of EEG and the like, so take this with the very large pinch of salt attached to small sample sizes (neurosurgery patients). Nonetheless it seems as if it's very difficult to match your subjective report with the actual process, it seems we all lie about what happened.

I'm not sure what responses you mean.Kenosha Kid

Again, not sure what all these goings on means.Kenosha Kid

OK. Maybe I'm attacking the wrong target. To me qualists want to say that there is something it's like to experience red, there's the 'redness' experience, or the 'car' experience. To do this, they invoke the 'way it feels' in response to sensing 'red', or 'a car'. What I'm trying to show is that we cannot, even in principle, distinguish the 'way it feels' in response to red, or cars, from 'the way it feels' just right now in general. The cascade of neural responses is continuous, there's no break in higher level backward suppression at the point of seeing red, so the conscious 'feelings' are unattached. We attach them later in retrospect.

So however it feels to see red is however I decide it feels. Some responses I might attach to seeing red, others I might decide had nothing to do with the colour but were a response to something else, or something I just happened to be feeling at the time. And...what's crucial, picking up on Dennet's point in intuition pump 8, is that I might be wrong in a way that a third party could theoretically determine. I don't have privileged access here, there's no difference between first-person and third-person guesses.

This is really just by way of explaining what I mean, I'm not necessarily assuming you're suggesting otherwise.

Yes, I agree, this is Dennett's rejection of the intrinsic nature of qualia. I'm with you, and Dennett, on this, and I agree that this is what philosophers usually think of as qualia, incorrectly.Kenosha Kid

Cool. I think we're much on the same page then, which makes it interesting to tease out any differences.
  • Luke
    But how is "What it is like to see red" distinct from "Seeing red"?Banno

I think the former is typically epistemic: one knows (or doesn't know) what it is like, whereas the latter is (having) the experience. I would say that one gains the knowledge of what it is like by having the experience.

Mary's room might be a useful intuition pump for this discussion.. Mary has never seen red, but we ask whether she knows what it is like to see red. Dennett holds that Mary would know what it is like to see red without ever seeing red. His take is that one gains the experience, or the knowledge of what it is like, by virtue of having all of the other (third-person) colour knowledge. What red looks like is irrelevant and non-existent(!), it seems. Odd, then, that Mary would know what it is like.

Dennett also has a response to the "Mary the color scientist" thought experiment. He argues that Mary would not, in fact, learn something new if she stepped out of her black and white room to see the color red. Dennett asserts that if she already truly knew "everything about color", that knowledge would include a deep understanding of why and how human neurology causes us to sense the "quale" of color. Mary would therefore already know exactly what to expect of seeing red, before ever leaving the room. Dennett argues that the misleading aspect of the story is that Mary is supposed to not merely be knowledgeable about color but to actually know all the physical facts about it, which would be a knowledge so deep that it exceeds what can be imagined, and twists our intuitions.Wikipedia
  • Kenosha Kid
    (sorry if my writing's not clear - in my defense I'm recently writing on a phone on the train and so I don't do as much overarching editing as I shouldIsaac

Dude, I'm the last person you need to apologise to. I'm the worst for this :)

Much of what's going on, even consciously, is going on before the car tag. You later (perhaps even seconds later) re-tell the story as happening in a better order (saw a thing->worked out it was a car->thought 'I could drive that'). Expermenting on this is really difficult because of the time lag in fMRI and the non-specificity of EEG and the like, so take this with the very large pinch of salt attached to small sample sizes (neurosurgery patients).Isaac

That's interesting. If I may summarise, then, the conscious perception of my field may include something caused by a car without the car 'tag' (recognition of car object with or without dorsal data), then moments later updated with that tag. So I consciously see the light caused by the car before I see the car.

But to clarify, it's not a conscious decision to identify a car, right? Whenever the car recognition output is presented for conscious consideration, it's not doing so because I'm studying a patch of light and trying to figure out what it is. This is all going on in the background.

Question: Am I right in saying that, as you describe it, data from our conscious perception is fed back into these myriad cascades and may affect (or indeed effect) some of these unconscious processes (e.g. I focus on a block of colour, causing it to be recognised as 'car')? Do these processes rely on this, or can we recognise objects just based on pre-processed data? This is again going back to the idea of sensory data categorised as unimportant, such as the sound of a car engine on a busy Manhattan block.

To me qualists want to say that there is something it's like to experience red, there's the 'redness' experience, or the 'car' experience. To do this, they invoke the 'way it feels' in response to sensing 'red', or 'a car'. What I'm trying to show is that we cannot, even in principle, distinguish the 'way it feels' in response to red, or cars, from 'the way it feels' just right now in general. The cascade of neural responses is continuous, there's no break in higher level backward suppression at the point of seeing red, so the conscious 'feelings' are unattached. We attach them later in retrospect.Isaac

Ah yes, okay. No, you're right, I think I just wasn't clear on what I was getting at. I agree that no meaningful qualia can be defined that is detached from the moment at which it is apprehended. That's the intrinsic value Dennett dismisses, and I agree with him (and you). What I meant about not throwing the baby out with the bathwater is that there still remain objects of subjective experience, such that I can see a car without consciously determining it to be a car (even if 1 ms ago I didn't see a car), and that this object is private (internal processing from my raw sensory input to instantaneous apprehension by me) and immediate (I see car as car object is presented to me, which may be some while after I see light from car), but not intrinsic or ineffable, and that these objects and the processes that yield them (e.g. neuron that recognises car) underlie our pre-theoretical conceptions of what theorists call qualia.

So while Dennett is right to dismiss ineffable-intrinsic-private-immediate qualia, that doesn't mean that there's nothing to be gained from considering less mystified, more scienticially-grounded ideas of objects of subjective experience, i.e. how we actually appraise such objects as car, taste of coffee, sound of gunshot, etc.
  • fdrake
    What I meant about not throwing the baby out with the bathwater is that there still remain objects of subjective experience, such that I can see a car without consciously determining it to be a car (even if 1 ms ago I didn't see a car), and that this object is private (internal processing from my raw sensory input to instantaneous apprehension by me) and immediate (I see car as car object is presented to me, which may be some while after I see light from car), but not intrinsic or ineffable, and that these objects and the processes that yield them (e.g. neuron that recognises car) underlie our pre-theoretical conceptions of what theorists call qualia.Kenosha Kid

more scienticially-grounded ideas of objects of subjective experience, i.e. how we actually appraise such objects as car, taste of coffee, sound of gunshot, etc.Kenosha Kid

Here's the thing I don't get; if you've removed the ineffability, the difference between first person and third person epistemic standards, you've removed the idea perceptions obtain properties in the manner we introspectively ascribe them, you've removed the privacy, and you've removed the certainty, and you've hollowed out the distinction between intraworldly events and psychic life, what actually remains of ascribing "subjectivity" to a perception, other than "putting it into an agent as an object", when it's actually characterised up until that point as an agent-environment relationship? Doesn't "subjectivising" it already treat it as private entity that can only be introspectively accessed?
  • Kenosha Kid
    you've removed the idea perceptions obtain properties in the manner we introspectively ascribe themfdrake

Pending... This is my question to Isaac. But my view is: no! The bulk of what the brain does is unconscious, that is we are not conscious that the brain is doing it. This will most of the time include things like recognising a car as a car. Is this introspective? Probably not as you mean it, which is a conscious effort. But mindless pattern-matching does not always work; this is why we need an algorithmic part of the brain to figure things out when pattern-recognition fails. (I'm being simplistic for economy.) This is identically the conscious mind, which might be provided with 'unidentified shape in periphery' (an output of outline detection) and can iteratively focus on details that dumb pattern recognition cannot. These details are fed back to the dumb pattern recognisers until we see 'car', or else not: I am not eliminating introspection entirely; it might be that some things we recognise purely in a conscious, algorithmic way. (Would seem odd to me, though.)

you've removed the privacyfdrake

This needs explaining. I don't see how any processes acting on my raw sensory input to produce my conscious perceptions can be anything other than private. I think you've got this the wrong way round: privacy is a prerequisite of ineffability, not the other way round.

you've removed the certaintyfdrake

Yes.

what actually remains of ascribing "subjectivity" to a perceptionfdrake

That the sensory data is an input to me, not you, that the processing is done by me, not you, and that the perception is mine, not yours, any one of which would guarantee subjectivity. Even if I could fully understand my experiences and describe them perfectly, they're still mine.
  • Srap Tasmaner
    Consciousness is just the tendency to be able to report on mental activity and it's caused by the neurons which produce language, movement and other awareness-mediated responses being stimulated by the neurons constituting the processing of sensory inputs to which that awareness relates.Isaac

As the subject, this is my tendency to be capable of reporting -- but not just on any mental activity, on my mental activity. I'm wondering if there are pre-utterance steps where some subsystem perhaps tags the analysis and speech prep being done as "me related", or if there aren't, and why we need or don't need such steps.

There is a strong temptation, I have found, to respond to my claims in this paper more or less as follows: "But after all is said and done, there is still something I know in a special way: I know how it is with me right now." But if absolutely nothing follows from this presumed knowledge--nothing, for instance, that would shed any light on the different psychological claims that might be true of Chase or Sanborn--what is the point of asserting that one has it? Perhaps people just want to reaffirm their sense of proprietorship over their own conscious states.

This sense of proprietorship is known to be violated sometimes, in ways big and small, persistent and fleeting, from auditory hallucinations to insights that come unbidden.

So, to summarize the tradition, qualia are supposed to be properties of a subject's mental states that are (1) ineffable (2) intrinsic (3) private (4) directly or immediately apprehensible in consciousness.

I only skimmed instead of rereading, but it seems to me Dennett might have added here that I am generally expected to know non-inferentially, and perhaps infallibly, whose qualia are rattling around in my consciousness, and to know that they are mine rather than yours.

Oh, it looks like @fdrake and @Kenosha Kid are nearby.
  • fdrake
    I don't see how any processes acting on my raw sensory input to produce my conscious perceptions can be anything other than private.Kenosha Kid

I'm trying to highlight that the article is criticising privacy in the same way it's criticising other alleged aspects of qualia. There's a big difference between calling an experience private and saying that only one person has been so effected!

In their place are relatively or practically ineffable public properties we can refer to indirectly via reference to our private property-detectors-- private only in the sense of idiosyncratic. And insofar as we wish to cling to our subjective authority about the occurrence within us of states of certain types or with certain properties, we can have some authority--not infallibility or incorrigibility, but something better than sheer guessing--but only if we restrict ourselves to relational, extrinsic properties like the power of certain internal states of ours to provoke acts of apparent re- identification. So contrary to what seems obvious at first blush, there simply are no qualia at all. — Dennett

If you're talking about "the red in my subjective experience of the car", you are perhaps not talking about an "extrinsic relational property", you are talking about a unary property. Predicated of an experience-bearing "subjective state" of which that unary property partially constitutes. It follows some of the same structure of the quale which the article criticises. We're back in the situation I referred to before about experiencing experiential objects vs experience instances as a relations themselves.
  • RogueAI
    Consciousness is just the tendency to be able to report on mental activity and it's caused by the neurons which produce language, movement and other awareness-mediated responses being stimulated by the neurons constituting the processing of sensory inputs to which that awareness relates. I'm genuinely dumbfounded as to how or why anyone finds this in the least bit difficult to imagine.

That's an incomplete definition of consciousness. Reporting on mental activity isn't even a necessary condition for consciousness, let alone a sufficient one. Any definition of consciousness has to include first-person subjective experience.
  • Luke
    There's a big difference between calling an experience private and saying that only one person has been so effected!fdrake

How could you know whether anyone else has been “so effected”?

One thing I had trouble with in the article was the inverted spectrum intuition pumps failed to enable an intersubjective comparison of qualia, yet this seemed to be an argument against, rather than for, privacy. If qualia are private it’s going to make intersubjective comparisons very difficult.
  • fdrake
    How could you know whether anyone else has been “so effected”?Luke

Let me rephrase, there is a big difference between saying that a person has a sense datum/experiential entity with a given structure that only they have any access to of any sort (privacy) and saying that the same person has had a unique (idiosyncratic) experience. The former commits one to the existence of entities of a given sort with the property of privacy that stand in some relationship to experience, the latter only commits one to have been the perceiving agent in a perceptual event or perceptual relationship.
  • frank
    In their place are relatively or practically ineffable public properties we can refer to indirectly via reference to our private property-detectors-- private only in the sense of idiosyncratic. And insofar as we wish to cling to our subjective authority about the occurrence within us of states of certain types or with certain properties, we can have some authority--not infallibility or incorrigibility, but something better than sheer guessing--but only if we restrict ourselves to relational, extrinsic properties like the power of certain internal states of ours to provoke acts of apparent re- identification. So contrary to what seems obvious at first blush, there simply are no qualia at all. — Dennett

Banno and I talk about this previously. Dennett is pinging the Private Language Argument to suggest that only external justifications are acceptable for qualia.

I have a cousin who has perfect pitch. Dennett would say that I can assert that she can identify middle-C if she actually does it. Since I can't confirm that she has any experience associated with identifying middle-C, qualia is dismissed. She is not allowed to act as an eye-witness to her experiences because she could be wrong.

Banno and I agreed that the PLA doesn't rule out private thoughts or experiences, so Dennett's assertion seems to end up being bare. If I assert that I can't dismiss my cousin's experience, then I have common knowledge on my side, which means the burden is on Dennett. Note, that common knowledge is not being referred to as a justification for anything but loading burden.
  • Kenosha Kid
    There's a big difference between calling an experience private and saying that only one person has been so effected!fdrake

It's not incidental that only one person has been effected. It's not like it just happens to have happened to one person: it can only happen to one person.

there is a big difference between saying that a person has a sense datum/experiential entity with a given structure that only they have any access to of any sort (privacy) and saying that the same person has had a unique (idiosyncratic) experience.fdrake

Not in this context, no. The fact that that raw data is input to one person's senses, is processed by that same person's brain which is trained by that same person's past experiences, and is made available to that same person's conscious apprehension, makes it both private and idiosyncratic.
  • fdrake
    The fact that that raw data is input to one person's senses, is processed by that same person's brain which is trained by that same person's past experiences, and is made available to that same person's conscious apprehension, makes it both private and idiosyncratic.Kenosha Kid

The problem is breaking off that last stage, AND is made available to that same person's consciousness? What is made available to the person's consciousness. Is it a perceptual object with properties? It's like a process completes and somehow outputs a distinct entity with qualia like properties which then somehow embeds into consciousness... But the process itself is not generative of those kind of properties at all. Is "what's happening in my head" a function output ("made available") after all my perceptual processes within a given time window have concluded, or is that availability making a part of the perceptual bodily process.

If the process goes:

Object->Perception -> Perceptual object -> conscious apprehension, with that last arrow being "making available"

Then we're in a situation where we have perceptual objects with private properties "presented to" the conscious apprehension. It's the same way of breaking up the stages as qualia:

Object -> Perception -> Qualia -> conscious apprehension

The only difference is qualia emphasises the properties of that intermediary perceptual object - between perception and conscious apprehension - in the first there is a perceptual object which has properties, in the second the properties have been split up before immersion into the chain.

If instead it goes:

object -> conscious apprehension, with the arrow being perception itself.

Then we're not committed to perceptual objects with private properties, because there are no intermediary perceptual objects to apply properties to to begin with!

I'm struggling for words - so we've separated out consciousness from perception - perception provides something to consciousness, that which is "made available" to it. Reiterating, that's the same kind of model that the paper is criticising, that there's this "mental entity" which has properties like privacy which is presented to consciousness (also the Cartesian Theater metaphor from Dennett's work makes the same point). Contrast this to having consciousness as part of perceptual processes, in that parsing perception doesn't present anything to a distinct faculty called consciousness at all. And in denying the existence of that which is allegedly presented, you deny that it is properties.

But that's different from saying "people don't taste stuff", because x gets a sweet taste from y is an extrinsic relational property - the sweetness characterises the perceptual relation between person x and object y, rather than an a perceptual object which is presented to x's consciousness being characterised by a sweetness property. The latter is a unary property of the private state (a quale! a "what is it like" entity-property), the former is a unary property of the relation (an extrinsic relational property, a "what is it like to me" relation).
  • Kenosha Kid
    Object->Perception -> Perceptual object -> conscious apprehension, with that last arrow being "making available"

Then we're in a situation where we have perceptual objects with private properties "presented to" the conscious apprehension. It's the same way of breaking up the stages as qualia:

Object -> Perception -> Qualia -> conscious apprehension

The only difference is qualia emphasises the properties of that intermediary perceptual object - between perception and conscious apprehension - in the first there is a perceptual object which has properties, in the second the properties have been split up before immersion into the chain.
    fdrake

I'm going to rephrase, because perception as I understand it is a kind of conscious awareness, i.e. perception is not the projection of light onto the retina, the electrical signal along the optic nerve, the cascade of neural activity that follows, but the availability to conscious apprehension, as in I perceive a car: a subjective experience of a car object.

I also disagree that the object can be included here, as it has no direct involvement whatsoever: it is merely the source of whatever mediates the raw data input into my senses.

Raw sensory data -> Pre-processed data -> Formatted object -> conscious apprehension

As Isaac has said, it's not this linear. It might look something more like this:

sk-b9b77c481a67538b0e223246cebb41cf.jpeg

wherein the central boxes represent the mess of neural process between raw input and conscious apprehension, straight lines represent some pathways through this process, and curved lines represent feedback from conscious processes back to neural unconscious processes. The qualia are the objects of subjective experience, so are not necessarily pre-existing objects provided to conscious apprehension but are the objects for conscious apprehension. I likened it to the API of consciousness.

I've not shown all the pathways here, just a gist, but you can see for instance that 'outline of object' misses the top right box (which here stands for the ventral stream) and is presented to consciousness with outline detection but no what-is-it tag (no 'car' neuron has fired). The mind appraises this, triggering further neural processes including the ventral stream which updates consciousness with a 'car' object. You can imagine similar things for 'yellow car' and 'sound of gunshot', etc.

The crossed out object is 'sound of car engine' which is identified but is not presented for conscious appraisal because the brain knows it's not interesting and suppresses it. It might not identify it as 'sound of car engine' per se, but matches it will enough to 'we need to ignore this shit at night' at least :) @Isaac, am I getting any closer?

If instead it goes:

Perception -> conscious apprehension

Then we're not committed to perceptual objects with private properties.
    fdrake

And I think this is what is safe to rule out, although I expect rationalists will not like it. (Generally the idea that the brain is doing stuff that the mind is unaware of does not sit favourably, but that's just the way it is.)
  • fdrake
    The qualia are the objects of subjective experience, so are not necessarily pre-existing objects provided to conscious apprehension but are the objects of providing data for conscious apprehension.Kenosha Kid

That's what the article is criticising though, if they're not pre-existing objects, they solely permeate the "conscious apprehension" as objects with properties. It's like characterising perception as a packaging process for sensory data, and then some other distinct process passes the package as a whole to the "conscious apprehension". Then in reflecting upon our memories of perceptual events, we conjure the properties with some introspective process as if they were there in the perceptual process all along.

And I think this is what is safe to rule out, although I expect rationalists will not like it. (Generally the idea that the brain is doing stuff that the mind is unaware of does not sit favourably, but that's just the way it is.)Kenosha Kid

It's safe to rule out on the basis that not all datastreams our perception explores+captures out of the environment and our body result in a conscious apprehension, but not safe to rule out that apprehension itself is a component part of perception. The packaging/formatting occurs within the process of perception as a continually evolving model of data input streams and compensatory/exploratory activities, it's "never done" to be output to a "conscious apprehension", "conscious apprehension" is some feedback relationship of those data streams and the structure of our environment (and our history).

This is his issue with the intrinsic qualities of qualia: that you can meaningfully compare two. But this is not demanded by our conscious experiences. It is not our rational minds that generally determine that the car is the same colour as it was yesterday, rather the colour of the car is part of how we recognise it as ours.Kenosha Kid

The only reason I chose to label that "perception->conscious apprehension" was because I believed you were talking about input data to conscious apprehension. It's a swerve in context to dismiss the second account on the basis of consciousness consisting of a sample of those data streams' features (there being "unconsciously" processed data aspects) but not the first! Try this phrasing: how something is apprehended ("what is it like to me" if conscious) is part of the perceptual process, rather than resulting in a distinct terminal point of a data stream that apprehends a completed experiential object of some kind (that bears "experiential properties"/qualia as they are usually used).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.