• 0 thru 9
    A big, hot, steaming cup of Joe...

One would think at this point that Joe Biden merits a thread specifically about him, and his years of experience helping to lead and guide one of the top ten countries in the Western Hemisphere. The man could very well be the next president of the United States.

Pros or cons(ervatives)? Thoughts? Feelings? News stories? What is Joe Biden’s philosophy? Do share!

Here’s one: Kamala Harris has announced her endorsement of Mr. Biden.

Could Kamala Harris be a potential VP pick for Biden?
  • 0 thru 9
    Here’s an interesting challenge concerning Joe Biden. But the challenge is for you, not him.

See if you can watch this entire compilation video of Joe Biden’s love of hair sniffing. The first one to be able to get through the entire 7-minute plus video wins! (I had to shut it off after a minute or so. I hope to make it through eventually... )

Winner gets a chance for a visit and a long hug from Joe himself! (Contest not valid in Utah).

Ok... go!
  • Tzeentch
    Pretty sad that the man gets framed as a weirdo at the slightest physical contact with a child.
  • 0 thru 9
    Pretty sad that the man gets framed as a weirdo at the slightest physical contact with a child.Tzeentch

Oh exactly! The world definitely needs more love right now. A whole lotta love. I really hope the upcoming debate with Bernie starts with a long and tender hug between the two men. And some deep and honest emotional sharing. It might even start a trend! :hearts:
  • ssu
    Joe Biden.

Will he continue the list of the following Democrats?

DEM-2016-Clinton_Horo-4.jpg

confetti-falls-on-an-exuberant-senator-john-kerry-at-a-rally-at-the-AHTCN1.jpg

former-vice-president-al-gore-and-senator-joe-liebermans-acceptance-picture-id144080279

backfire_5.jpg?w=1024

Walter_Mondale_accepting_state_primary_victory_in_Des_Moines%2C_Iowa..jpg

ap091103077086_slide-8e606e0b237935eb36c9abea71a69ac75d1f9da6-s800-c85.jpg

ball_of_confusion.jpg

At least he would perfectly fit in to this category.
  • Benkei
    One word: Senile.
  • tim wood
    It's the alternative that matters in this election. Either probably not very good or unspeakable. And Biden could be good, no law against. But Trump is an atrocity and will always be an atrocity.
  • Benkei
    It's a rerun from 4 years ago: choosing between two evils.
  • tim wood
    But two categorically different evils. Nor am I aware of anything really bad about Biden. He's old and maybe a bit slow, but that not comparable to Trump and his creatures.

A real problem, though, is that the Democrat Party could not do better. Do you, does anyone, understand how we ended up with Joe Biden as best candidate?
  • Nobeernolife
    The only positive thing about this corrupt Biden guy is that because of age and senility, it will be a one-term presidency.
  • Nobeernolife
    Nor am I aware of anything really bad about Biden. He's old and maybe a bit slow, but that not comparable to Trump and his creatures.tim wood

So you are not aware of his massive corruption scandals with e.g. Ukraine and China. Well, they don´t tell you about it at CNN, the NYT and Huffpost, so yes if you are an echo chamber resident your world probably looks like that.
  • tim wood
    So you are not aware of his massive corruption scandals with e.g. Ukraine and China.Nobeernolife
    Particulars and evidence, please. I am aware that the Republican propaganda machine has been active, but that's just a reprehensible slime machine that no thinking thoughtful mature American should give any credence to. - And I will grant that there are knee-jerk ignorant stupid Americans who do give credence, but that in itself is only an indictment of the judgment of those people.

In the way of even-handedness, it strikes me that unless the fix has been in for a long time, we can tentatively conclude that Trump's taxes are reasonably straight - he has not been indicted or convicted for tax evasion, has he? Of course, the sources of his money are a different matter....

So this "massive corruption scandal," what is it? And either you've got it, and we all should read what you have to say. Or you're just part of the slime machine. Which?
  • Maw
    I think it's great that all Kamala Harris did during her primary run was talk about how shitty Joe was and now she's endorsing him. Good work Kamala.
  • creativesoul
    Do you, does anyone, understand how we ended up with Joe Biden as best candidate?tim wood

Joe will not rock the boat. He will continue to err on the side of corporate profit when it's in direct conflict with everyday Americans' livelihoods. The major corporations and media outlets have a concerted campaign to smear Bernie at all costs. Re-implement cold war thinking and labels. That's how we've arrived where we are.

It's not over yet though.
  • creativesoul
    It would not surprise me at all if Trump beats Joe.

The ticket out of this...

A Sanders/Warren ticket.
  • Mr Bee
    It's a rerun from 4 years ago: choosing between two evils.Benkei

To a certain extent, but I don't think that the democrats could've run a more reviled candidate than Hillary Clinton in 2016. She was unpopular among republicans and democrats and though I much prefer Bernie than Joe, I can't say I hate him on a personal level like Clinton.
  • Echarmion
    It would not surprise me at all if Trump beats Joe.

The ticket out of this...

A Sanders/Warren ticket.
    creativesoul

Well, if it's true that the capitalists (holders of economic power) dislike Sanders and campaigned against him, wouldn't that mean he'd have worse chances to be elected?
  • jgill
    I am 83, and from my perspective both Biden and Sanders are too old for the presidency. The Democratic choice for vice president is far more important. Biden may win the top job, but the VP will gradually take over behind the scene. So who might that be? :chin:
  • Wayfarer
    Pros or cons(ervatives)? Thoughts? Feelings? News stories? What is Joe Biden’s philosophy? Do share!0 thru 9

I'm an interested foreign observer. Foreign, because I don't live in the US, but interested because I have immediate family who does, and also because I see the stability of the United States as being central to economic and political order.

A year ago I would have thought Biden a has-been. But, desperate times call for desperate remedies, and these are desperate times. Trump is a disgrace to the office and a threat to the world's peace and prosperity - another four-year term could quite conceivably end in economic collapse or at the very least, permanent damage to American constitutional order. Biden might be inarticulate and far from inspiring but he is at least mentally competent and seemingly honest. I'm hoping that the Democrats win the trifecta - Presidency, House and Senate - and sweep the appallingly corrupt, venal and spineless GOP into the dustbin of history.

//oh, and Biden's philosophy - centrist pragmatism. The reason he's a good bet is because a lot of disillusioned Republican voters could feasibly vote for him in good conscience, which they would never, ever do for Sanders.//
  • Wayfarer
    So who might that [VP] be? :chin:jgill

I'm hoping, Amy Klobuchar OR Elizabeth Warren, so they'll be able to run as 'Mr and Mrs America'.

Warren would be my hope. It will work to assuaging the women voters who were bitterly disappointed by her exit. And, she's brilliant and a person of high integrity. But it will depend on whether she's able to play second fiddle.
  • Baden
    All Biden has to do to win is not lose his mind completely before November. Americans don't vote primarily on issues, they vote for who they'd most be willing to sit down and have a beer with.
  • Mr Bee

All Biden has to do is just not be horrible and despised like Clinton was in 2016. The democrats are prepared to vote for a paper bag if that means Trump doesn't get re-elected. The election will largely be decided by how much the left is willing to turnout to vote for the democrat.
  • ssu
    A real problem, though, is that the Democrat Party could not do better. Do you, does anyone, understand how we ended up with Joe Biden as best candidate?tim wood
    It quite clear when you think who they picked to be their candidate last time.

The political party is run by weak geriatrics, who don't want to take a gamble. And who have been quite out of touch from the actual feelings of the voters.

Finding an Obama, a one term senator, was the exception. Yet Obama was a "loyal democrat" as a senator and then got support even from superdelegates. That he won Hillary should have told something later for the DNC. But I guess enough people in the party promised Hillary the candidacy after Obama. That Biden didn't go for it in 2016 is again very telling.
  • creativesoul
    Well, if it's true that the capitalists (holders of economic power) dislike Sanders and campaigned against him, wouldn't that mean he'd have worse chances to be elected?Echarmion

Not if the same people stayed home as last time. I don't see Biden getting votes from those who want real change. I do see Bernie picking up some Biden and some Trump supporters.
  • jgill
    Here is a possibility for VP that Biden once mentioned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Abrams
  • 0 thru 9
    So who might that [VP] be? :chin:
    — jgill

I'm hoping, Amy Klobuchar OR Elizabeth Warren, so they'll be able to run as 'Mr and Mrs America'.

Warren would be my hope. It will work to assuaging the women voters who were bitterly disappointed by her exit. And, she's brilliant and a person of high integrity. But it will depend on whether she's able to play second fiddle.
    Wayfarer

Warren as Biden’s VP?Jesus... that is a depressing thought. To me, anyway. Would seem like such a settling, if perhaps not a selling-out. (Yea, I know. There are no saints in the city... )
  • Echarmion
    See if you can watch this entire compilation video of Joe Biden’s love of hair sniffing. The first one to be able to get through the entire 7-minute plus video wins! (I had to shut it off after a minute or so. I hope to make it through eventually... )0 thru 9

It's actually a lot of repetition after the first three minutes. The framing is odd too. Why do people assume it's hair sniffing? It looks to me like he is whispering to them.
  • ssu
    I agree with all those that they will pick a woman for the vice presidency. If Biden is too centrist, they might pick Warren to woo the left wing of the party.

They'll hear too much about it if they pick two old white men.
  • Wolfman
    It's never gonna happen, but I'd like to see Yang as VP. Exceptionally smart guy who avoids all the mudslinging. If he wasn't seen as the crazy UBI guy, I think he'd be able to garner a good amount of bipartisan support. Take a look at his some of his interviews with Ben Shapiro and Tucker Carlson.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment