• Uber
    Valiant effort, but even that explanation does not escape the Trilemma. You just land on the foundational assumption that God and being are one and the same thing. One could always explore, and should, what constitutes being, illumination, etc. I'd like your thoughts on how, if at all, your position relates to pantheism and pandeism.
  • Wayfarer
    You just land on the foundational assumption that God and being are one and the same thing.Uber

You say that, as if it simply a verbal formula - which is what has generally been reduced to , which is why it doesn’t mean anything, which is what has to be unravelled.

As for pantheism - it would take a lot more time and space to unpack completely, but suffice to say that I think it’s a pseudo-scientific theory that attempts to treat mind or consciousness as an object, which it never is. Understanding why it isn’t an objective fact, but is nonetheless a fundamental reality, requires a cognitive shift, known in the Greek tradition as metanoia.
  • Uber
    According to you it doesn't mean anything. And yet you can't actually justify why, or at least you haven't so far. My verbal formula is no more or less meaningful than your theological propaganda that God is the nature of being. Also sounds nice, but means basically nothing.
  • Aaron R
    The trilemma overlooks the possibility of self-justifying acts. The norms of rationality seem to fit the bill here because one cannot question them without employing them and thereby implicitly endorsing them.
  • Uber
    No one is questioning the "norms of rationality," although that could be its own debate. The issue is to what extent does God's existence justify itself. Making being tied to God as an inherent property of God is simply a circular argument (God is equivalent to being because it's God, ships float on water because they're ships!).
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.