• CuddlyHedgehog
    Given that most of its functions are obsolete and superfluous, why do humans feel the need to perpetuate it?
  • Agustino
    Given that most of its functions are obsolete and superfluousCuddlyHedgehog
    No, I won't give you that.

why do humans feel the need to perpetuate it?CuddlyHedgehog
    Stability, and also if something works, no need to change it.
  • T Clark
    Given that most of its functions are obsolete and superfluous, why do humans feel the need to perpetuate it?CuddlyHedgehog

I'm with @Agustino. Stability of human institutions. Maintenance of human relationships. Restrictions can be frustrating, unfair, and even harmful, but life is full of restrictions. Another benefit - with tradition, we don't have to recreate the rules every time. They are laid and, we hope, understandable.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    Stability, and also if something works, no need to change it.Agustino

Something new and different might work better. Just because things have always been done one way it doesn't mean it is the right or best way.
  • Pseudonym

Just to play devil's advocate, although I agree that saying most of tradition is superfluous will require quite some weight of evidence to convince me, anthropologist Clive Finlayson has described in human prehistory one of my favourite social theories. Society is divided into conservatives and innovators. In times of stability, conservatives dominate and innovators are marginalised, nothing needs to change, and conservatism is easier than innovation (takes less brain energy and it is less risky). When the environment is changing, however, innovators dominate. It is at these times tradition may well be thrown out of the window.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    Don't we then sacrifice creativity and individualism for the sake of social conformity and acceptance?
  • T Clark
    Don't we then sacrifice creativity and individualism for the sake of social conformity and acceptance?CuddlyHedgehog

Instead of "conformity and acceptance" I could say "continuity and social cohesion." Instead of "creativity and individualism" I might say "lack of standards and selfish narcissism." I acknowledge there are trade-offs. I didn't say tradition should be blindly followed. I only said that it is important, which is the topic of this discussion.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    Please elaborate on how you associate creativity with lack of standards and individualism with selfish narcissism. Harsh and inaccurate representation of both in my opinion.
  • T Clark
    Please elaborate on how you associate creativity with lack of standards and individualism with selfish narcissism. Harsh and inaccurate representation of both in my opinion.CuddlyHedgehog

I was making a point. You made a "harsh and inaccurate" representation of tradition. I pointed out that one could make a similar representation about individualism and creativity. I don't think my hypothetical representations are any less, or any more, accurate than yours are.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    I see, the old tit for tat strategy.
  • T Clark
    I see, the old tit for tat strategy.CuddlyHedgehog

Ahem....
  • Agustino
    Something new and different might work better. Just because things have always been done one way it doesn't mean it is the right or best way.CuddlyHedgehog
    Exactly, so then you need both elements of stability (tradition) and elements of exploration (novelty, new approaches, etc.).
  • tim wood
    Given that most of its functions are obsolete and superfluous, why do humans feel the need to perpetuate it?CuddlyHedgehog

*sigh* Given your given, then sure, why not. Is that what you're arguing? Or is the OP about tradition itself?

Communities, societies, cultures evolve in certain basic understandings taken as fundamental, as ground, as unquestioned foundation of everything built on them. Perforce, these don't change easily or often, and change, when it occurs can be traumatic to existing structures.

People maintain them, then, because they work - until they don't work.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    A large proportion of tradition consists of ritualistic and ethnically idiosyncratiocratic routines that serve no practical purpose. They are merely a lazy, mindless, unquestioned adoption of regurgitated beliefs and conventions that get in the way of free thinking and innovation.
  • T Clark
    A large proportion of tradition consists of ritualistic and ethnically idiosyncratiocratic routines that serve no practical purpose. They are merely a lazy, mindless, unquestioned adoption of regurgitated beliefs and conventions that get in the way of free thinking and innovation.CuddlyHedgehog

Don't agree. I've already given my reasons.
  • T Clark

And - ethnic idiosyncrasies are what makes the world more interesting than a shopping mall.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    I thought shopping malls were an all-American ethnic idiosyncrasy, no?
  • T Clark
    I thought shopping malls were an all-American ethnic idiosyncrasy, no?CuddlyHedgehog

When you can buy the same things at the same stores in every town in all 50 states and all around the world, it's hard to think of them as idiosyncratic.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    I thought you were referring to the almighty american "shopping mall".
  • T Clark
    I thought you were referring to the almighty american "shopping mall".CuddlyHedgehog

I was. How's this:

When you can buy the same things at the same stores, in the same malls, in every town in all 50 states and all around the world, it's hard to think of them as idiosyncratic.T Clark
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    How's thisT Clark

irrelevant
  • Buxtebuddha
    Good traditions are important, bad traditions aren't.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment