• BlueBanana
    I dont think i understand your point here. Why would you claim that just because it is happening somewhere in the world means its moral?The Devils Disciple

So how do you define morality? What does it mean if not the way it is generally understood?
  • charleton
    Really? Id say that; do not murder, do not rape, do not steal, have not changedThe Devils Disciple

That is such a naive statement.
    Of course they have changed!!!
    Take a look at the Gortyn Law Code, which is a shopping list. Rape a slave and pay the owner $1, rape his wife and pay the husband $10. This code is seen as an improvement in a society where rape was otherwise acceptable.
    Definitions as to what constitutes murder has also vastly changed. It was seen as impossible to murder a slave for example. Killing a slave was involved compensating the owner. Stealing is okay for the Lord to do to the serf, or crossing the border to raid the barbarians.
    The historical examples are just too numerous to mention.
    Even in the modern day some regard euthanasia and abortion as murder, others do not.
    Where's your objectivity now?
  • charleton
    -War is Immoral
    -Slavery is Immoral
    -persecuting sexual minoritys is Immoral
    -Rape is still Immoral
    The Devils Disciple

These are all culturally relative, and very modern and Western oriented.
    Go back just 2400 years to Aristotle and none of those are true.
  • charleton
    Yes, very true. And in some cultures even today those are still true.René Descartes

I can't imagine what sort of mind The DD has. To think that whatever he thinks is true must be universally, objectively and absolutely true, is what I might expect from someone like Trump, but not a person who has any interest in philosophy.
  • charleton
    Also what makes you think that the west thinks war is immoral? lol we seem to be involved in so many wars all the time.Mr Phil O'Sophy

I do.
    Millions of others do too. That's because morals are personally relative.

60 years ago it was legal to rape your wife.
    Morals are temporally, culturally, personally, and nationally relative.
    There is no objective morality and no arguments have been offered to substantiate that claim.

I'm puzzled why you find this all so confusing.
  • charleton
    60 years ago it was legal to rape your wife.
    — charleton

It still is in some countries.
    René Descartes

Indeed it is. Which simply enough begs the question what would an objectively correct moral law look like?
    I keep asking this question but no one has had the courage to begin to address the question.
  • charleton
    Although law doesn't necessarily equate to morality.René Descartes

Law is the practical outcome of the moral case. A thing legal is taken to be moral.
  • Cabbage Farmer
    Is truth physical. What about complex maths. They may exhibit themselves in nature, but are they really just part of human imagination?The Devils Disciple
    I wouldn't say truth is physical, and I wouldn't say truth is something "beyond" or "outside" the physical world.

I'm inclined to characterize numbers as concepts, and to say that numerical concepts, like all other concepts, are products of minds like ours.

To say that a concept is a product of minds like ours is not to say that it is a mere figment of imagination. For instance, an empirical concept of "dog" is a product of mind, but no mere figment of imagination. Such a concept emerges in response to and is refined principally on the objective basis of perceptual encounters with real dogs. Ordinarily we use such concepts to make true or false empirical judgments about objective matters of fact. We also use such concepts to engage in exercises of fantasy, for instance when we dream of dogs, or when we tell lies or weave fictions about real or imaginary dogs.

I like to say our capacity to acquire numerical concepts depends on a more basic capacity to identify, primarily on the basis of perception, a single individual as the same on multiple occasions, and distinct individuals as of the same kind. Here is my dog, here he is again, and again. Here is another dog, and another, and another....

To all appearances, the enumerating, the enumerator, and the enumerated all belong to "nature".
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet