• Shawn

Now I know about pigs and the coming of times when they shalt be allowed to be eaten.

51EkymgWbtL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The above book interests me as of recent.
    https://www.amazon.com/Return-Kosher-Pig-Itzhak-Shapira/dp/1936716453
  • Hanover
    Now I know about pigs and the coming of times when they shalt be allowed to be eaten.Shawn

That book is actually not a Jewish book, but a book about Messianic Judaism (aka Jews for Jesus). It's Christianity. Jews, while not agreeing on much else universally, do pretty much universally deny the divinity of Jesus.

That is, that book fails under my stringent standard of being 30% Jewish accurate.
  • Noble Dust
    So is the author of that book calling Jesus a pig? That seems a little unnecessary.
  • T Clark
    a random guy off the internetHanover

You're not just a random guy, you're a random Jewish guy.
  • T Clark
    Well I guess they got settled in first.jamalrob

Yes, they settled in for 260 years before they carved it.
  • T Clark
    But what kind of unoriginal dimwit names the place they arrive the same as the place they set out from?unenlightened

According to Wikipedia:

John Smith named the area Plymouth (after the city in South West England) and the region 'New England' during his voyage of 1614 (the accompanying map was published in 1616). It was a later coincidence that, after an aborted attempt to make the 1620 trans-Atlantic crossing from Southampton, the "Mayflower" finally set sail for America from Plymouth, England.
  • Hanover
    You're not just a random guy, you're a random Jewish guy.T Clark

You're the best man. Thanks for that. You're not generally random either, but are random in your own specific way too. :victory:
  • Hanover
    According to Wikipedia:

John Smith named the area Plymouth (after the city in South West England) and the region 'New England' during his voyage of 1614 (the accompanying map was published in 1616). It was a later coincidence that, after an aborted attempt to make the 1620 trans-Atlantic crossing from Southampton, the "Mayflower" finally set sail for America from Plymouth, England.
    T Clark

For the sake if accuracy, I cite the rest of the Wiki article:

"Following the arrival at Plymouth, a now defunct auto manufacturer was established, having produced a mini-station wagon called the Volare. The vehicle was purchased by the Hanover clan and used for a few years until discarded due to its unreliability."

Shockingly specific and accurate Wiki article, right?06nf9qn3hr80bjh5.jpeg
  • Hanover
    Assuming Neitzche posted the following regarding the death of God:

"When one gives up the Christian faith, one pulls the right to Christian morality out from under one's feet. This morality is by no means self-evident… Christianity is a system, a whole view of things thought out together. By breaking one main concept out of it, the faith in God, one breaks the whole.”

I'd have responded:

The faithful do not live within the ruins of God's cemetery, and are confused by the distant wails of those mourners, wondering why they don't just resurrect the eternal god they killed, whose return can be effected by a simple act of the will.

Is Truth so important that it should replace Meaning, justifying the desolation that results?
  • Bitter Crank
    random Jewish guyT Clark

Random and its diminutive, 'randy'.

"What year did Plymouth Volare come out?
    With so much going wrong, the new compacts couldn't arrive soon enough. At the end of 1975—a disastrous year in which Chrysler lost $260 million ($1.25 billion in 2021 dollars) and failed to pay a dividend on common stock for the first time since 1933—the 1976 Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare finally made their debut."

I don't think they had infant seats to put little Hanover in, back then. "Originally “child seats” started out as nothing more than burlap sacks with a drawstring that hung over the headrest on the passenger's seat."

When we bought live chickens at a farm, we brought them home in burlap bags. Worked for chickens, worked for kiddies. Just toss the bag in the trunk -- perfectly safe.

K-cars followed the Volare, as in Special K, K Pop, Ketamine...

Here's Hanover himself:

• jamalrob
    I may have to turn off the reputation system soon. That's how the majority voted, and more importantly, Hanover is catching up with me.
  • T Clark
    I may have to turn off the reputation system soon. That's how the majority voted, and more importantly, Hanover is catching up with me.jamalrob

I've been suspicious of the increase in @Hanover's upvote tally, so I checked. All but three of his upvotes since you reopened the system were from three members - @HughGRection, @Ben Dover, and @HarryPNess.
  • Shawn
    Яussia is strong
  • The Opposite
    Did anyone else think Jeff Bezos' trip to space looked a bit crap? He was only up there for about 5 mins. I thought there was supposed to be space tourism with space ships flying through space coming soon....
  • The Opposite
    Яussia is strongShawn

Slavaboo
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Did anyone else think Jeff Bezos' trip to space looked a bit crap? He was only up there for about 5 mins. I thought there was supposed to be space tourism with space ships flying through space coming soon....The Opposite
    Yeah as much as I like a good cowboy hat, even as a Space Cowboy, it looked a little cheesey.
    I like the idea of getting us closer to exploring another frontier because our time here on Earth cannot sustain a few more million years.
    So yes I am totally excited that capatilism is alive and well though it appears a space craft is replacing the yaht and BMW.
  • Maw
    In the late 1950s NASA sent monkeys to space, 360 miles above the surface of the earth. 60 years later Jeff Bezos went 60 miles above earth's surface which was not even space. Not impressive, not historic, just a big PR event for him and his company. While the richest man on the planet was undergoing a vanity project, NYC, where I live, was clouded in a haze of smoke stemming from over 100 wildfires in the West Coast brought on by actually historic heat waves and droughts
  • Banno
    it appears a space craft is replacing the yaht and BMW.ArguingWAristotleTiff

:rofl:
  • Maw
    Suns/Bucks game is wild
  • Bitter Crank
    In the late 1950s NASA sent monkeys to spaceMaw

The monkeys are back.

Most of Minnesota is under a serious air pollution warning from the smoke. Haze, heat, humidity. In 2018, I think it was, the smoke from the western fires swirled down to street level in Minneapolis. It stank from all the non-tree things that had burnt up--cars, houses, roofing, asphalt, etc.

Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost
  • Hanover
    I believe at this point I have posted sufficiently that someone could take all my prior posts and create a tome of Hanoverian sayings, along with scholarly commentary, so that the general public would have better access to the profundity that is me.

I open the floor for bids to take on this project, which I would expect will reward you with great esteem, but not financial gain, as you do understand, that will be retained by me. Self promotion, after all, is an integral part of the Hanoverian system.

And what gives credence to my greatness is that the word "Hanoverian" does not get caught by spell-check, meaning it's already a household word.
  • Hanover
    I may have to turn off the reputation system soon. That's how the majority voted, and more importantly, Hanover is catching up with me.jamalrob

I suspect you've already programmed in a governor that limits my upvotes to less than yours.
  • frank
    I open the floor for bids to take on this project,Hanover

I bid one and a half turds.
  • Hanover
    I bid one and a half turds.frank

You say that, but when I come to collect, you won't pay. It happens all the time. All talk.
  • Noble Dust
    All talk and no turds.
  • tim wood
    On about 16 July, @Banno linked to a book titled The Dead Philosophers at PenguinRandomHouse.com . Less than a week later I get an Amazon email recommendation for the same book. I'm generally aware this happens, but is anyone as surprised as I am that the link would come through merely because of my proximity to a reference on an obscure site? Did anyone else get the same solicitation?
  • Ying

Urgh, "influencers". Those people have the most punchable faces ever.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions