• René Descartes
    summerMr Phil O'Sophy

You mean this winter.
  • Mr Phil O'Sophy
    Maybe not Kant though, not the easiest of reads.René Descartes

Lol, yeah i get that. I'm doing a unit on him next year so would have been nice to familiarise myself with his content. But not that big a deal.

Any two books in particular you want to jump on?

Heidegger and JP sound good to you?
  • Mr Phil O'Sophy

depends on which hemisphere you're on lol. I'm UK. I'm guessing you're on the other side of this floating rock we call home?
  • René Descartes
    Heidegger and JP sound good to you?Mr Phil O'Sophy

I'm interested in JP and I think he is worth a read. I'm not very familiar with Heidegger to be honest, what's he about?
  • René Descartes
    depends on which hemisphere you're on lol. I'm UK. I'm guessing you're on the other side of this floating rock we call home?Mr Phil O'Sophy

No, I live on the moon.
  • Mr Phil O'Sophy
    I'm not very familiar with Heidegger to be honest, what's he about?René Descartes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_and_Time

Quote:
    "Being and Time has been described as the most influential version of existential philosophy,"
    &
    "It was immediately recognized as an original and groundbreaking philosophical work, and later became a focus of debates and controversy, and a profound influence on 20th-century philosophy, particularly existentialism, hermeneutics, deconstruction, and the enactivist approach to cognition."

No, I live on the moon.René Descartes

How's that going? Have you found any evidence that the Americans landed there or was that all a hoax?
  • René Descartes
    "Being and Time has been described as the most influential version of existential philosophy,"
    &
    "It was immediately recognized as an original and groundbreaking philosophical work, and later became a focus of debates and controversy, and a profound influence on 20th-century philosophy, particularly existentialism, hermeneutics, deconstruction, and the enactivist approach to cognition."
    Mr Phil O'Sophy

Ok, I might join your club

How's that going? Have you found any evidence that the Americans landed there or was that all a hoax?Mr Phil O'Sophy

It's going well, and yes the moon landings were a hoax, the North Koreans actually got here first.
  • Mr Phil O'Sophy

Those bloody Americans!
    And those bloody North Koreans!

I'll tip my hat to you next time the moons out.
    15th of June sound good to you?

Aim for a chapter of both books a week. Do a thread for each one for discussion on the topics being presented in each chapter.

Heidegger - Being and Time, and Jordan Peterson - Maps of Meaning

Anyone else care to join?
  • Mr Phil O'Sophy
    It's going well,René Descartes

I'm also very impressed that you're getting a good internet signal.
  • StreetlightX
    Book clubs for entire books are hard to sustain. We used to do articles here, but even for those, people eventually ran out of steam. We managed to get through Derrida's Voice and Phenomenon (90 or so pages), but by the end it was just like 2 or 3 or us giving it a go. I suggest keeping it to articles for your own sake, but kudos if you have more than the usual motivation!

Also, if you do B&T from scratch, I guarantee that you will get so stuck in exegesis and trying to figure points out you almost certainly wont make it past the first division.
  • Mr Phil O'Sophy
    yeah I'm gonna force myself to move on after a certain amount of time regardless of my level of understanding on the topic. I'm going to be doing an entire unit on it next year in Uni, so its just to cover it at least once before the course starts.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    "But I would argue that women are less likely to sit with legs open than men. Men need to not squish the go-nads, so it can be required to give them some space."

I did not wish to derail the "WTF is Gender" thread but I have to say I never thought of men sitting that way for that reason. Frankly, I just thought you males did simply because you could.
  • Mr Phil O'Sophy

No haha, theres a reason. It can get incredibly uncomfortable when there is a pressing between legs that are too close. and it also becomes incredibly awkward and inappropriate when you try to solve the problem in public. You just end up looking like a weirdo thats way too intimate with parts of the body in public than they should be. So those problems are completely avoided by permitting a certain amount of space.
  • Mr Phil O'Sophy
    also I think i've already derailed that topic way more than I should have done. Everything always feels so relevant when you're on a rant lol
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    It's Little Wing, which reminds me oh too well of someone I once knew.Hanover

You got it and set it free. Maybe that is how life is supposed to be?
    I am beginning to wonder if that isn't the real lesson in life. Loving enough to let go.
  • Cavacava
    According to Bloomberg, Americans now make up 40 per cent of the Billionaire’s Index by wealth, followed by Asia at a quarter and Europe at 21 per cent. Seven of the 10 richest people on the planet are Americans.
    The Independent
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    No haha, theres a reason. It can get incredibly uncomfortable when there is a pressing between legs that are too close. and it also becomes incredibly awkward and inappropriate when you try to solve the problem in public. You just end up looking like a weirdo thats way too intimate with parts of the body in public than they should be. So those problems are completely avoided by permitting a certain amount of space.Mr Phil O'Sophy

Maybe you and @Hanover can write a guide for women?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    According to Bloomberg, Americans now make up 40 per cent of the Billionaire’s Index by wealth, followed by Asia at a quarter and Europe at 21 per cent. Seven of the 10 richest people on the planet are Americans. The Independent

Maybe so but every "Happy" place on Earth are NOT in America (except for Disney).
    Danes have a 'happier' existence, as do the Dutch and the English and and and...oh look a message in a bottle from New Zealand...they too are Happier.
  • Mr Phil O'Sophy

I'm 'being-told-I-am-mansplaining'-aphobic.

Also I'm rather busy at the moment with uni and my wife and child.

Maybe in the future if time permits, I will do a colab with @Hanover on the mechanics of males who open their legs.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I'm 'being-told-I-am-mansplaining'-aphobic.

Also I'm rather busy at the moment with uni and my wife and child.

Maybe in the future if time permits, I will do a colab with Hanover on the mechanics of males who open their legs.
    Mr Phil O'Sophy

I do understand being busy with spouse and family!
    If Hanover is willing to share a few more plays from the "Male Playbook of Life" and you explain some of the mechanics, we ladies might begin to learn how to manipunderstand you guys. :grin:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.