• Baden

Don't think much of her singing voice but she doesn't look like the type to mistake islands for ships...
  • Baden

I should have said get elected rather than run, I suppose. Although to run for a political party (and have a much better chance of being elected) you need to be selected and usually there's a degree of merit involved. It's not so much about money although anyone can run as an independent and having some money does help with that. But we have strict rules on campaign finance and you can't use dirty tricks like when Cruz sent out that flyer that told voters if they didn't vote they'd be knocked off the register etc. Also, individual politicians can't afford TV ads and advertising needs to be balanced and factual. And people are generally quite cynical, so if a politician is a bit of a dumbass, they'll usually become an object of ridicule and unelectable. Having said all that, our politicians did screw us into the 2008 financial crisis, so there's still a significant amount of corruption and stupidity allowed for. More money and less regulation makes it worse though simply because you can buy public opinion and therefore votes with advertising, not 100% obviously, but to a large degree. The techniques are out there and on sale. So, if you don't control the money flow then the advantage goes to those who can acquire more funding. The problem with that is that funding is paid for in policy and the policy then becomes defined to a large degree by the special interest groups that do the funding. It's just common sense that that tends to lead to worse outcomes for the public as their interests are often not aligned with those of special interests.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    At the Grand Canyon right now in Tiff Country. Flew in to Phoenix (118 F), but at the higher elevation it's cooler here. My observation so far is that Europeans apparently love to visit out here and the current style in Europe must be really tight spandex shorts.Hanover

Welcome to Arizona! Tiff country is pretty once you get out of the desert and into the Pine trees and gorgeous elevation. Are you in a tent or at a hotel? My guess is your glamping since you have Internet connection and are having a good time! [/quote]

All the things I said about Europe I take back. Keep doing what you're doing. Long live free health care, gun bans, and atheism!Hanover

Curious...have you seen anyone in a public place with a sidearm?
  • Michael
    Curious...have you seen anyone in a public place with a sidearm?ArguingWAristotleTiff

Most people I see in public have two side arms.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Most people I see in public have two side arms.Michael

:smirk:
  • Hanover
    Welcome to Arizona! Tiff country is pretty once you get out of the desert and into the Pine trees and gorgeous elevation. Are you in a tent or at a hotel? My guess is your glamping since you have Internet connection and are having a good time!ArguingWAristotleTiff

We're way off the beaten path in a rental house in a town called Parks near Williams, which is a cheesy but cool old west town on Route 66. The elevation makes it pretty cool up here, probably better than back home in humidity.
    Curious...have you seen anyone in a public place with a sidearm?ArguingWAristotleTiff

Actually I did. It seems the farther away from the city and crime, the more guns. Arizona is an interesting place - brutally hot in the south, vast, desolate grazing land as you go north, and maybe some really great places to live in the temperate areas near Flagstaff.
  • VagabondSpectre
    Actually yes it is.

Here's a skit where as his aspiring artist ex-convict character, he manages to convince an upscale Californian art dealer to take his "prison art" seriously. Naturally, his art pieces are made from feces, piss, blood, and semen, which the art dealer instantaneously begins consuming/interpreting...

Reveal

He did attempt to fool Bernie Sanders, but it just so happened he's not enough of an idiot to fall for Sacha's shtick. "Corinne Olympios" (some reality T.V moron I was hitherto unaware of) however, under the guise of receiving a 'reality T.V star of the year award" was easily maneuvered into telling outlandish lies about humanitarian work she never did, and also to film a commercial begging for donations to "adopt a child soldier" (and explicitly fund their training and arming).

Reveal

For whatever reason the right wing of the political spectrum may offer up more juicy targets, but Sacha's ridicule seems to extend in all directions. Although, getting a clutch of conservative swamp foul to advocate for giving guns to toddlers to stop terrorism is so hilarious that it wouldn't matter either way.
  • VagabondSpectre
    Another interesting dichotomy I noticed is with regard to the media reaction. I saw John Walsh (one of the gun nuts) on American Media (CNN) talking about how he was punked by Sacha and his line was basically, "Sorry, I know it's all crazy, I don't believe any of that. I was tricked. The end". And the guy who was interviewing him just ate it up. No pushback at all. It was almost like the debate was over the ethics of Sacha's behaviour in exposing Walsh and Walsh was graciously agreeing not to criticize Sacha too harshly and to just laugh the whole thing off rather than have to deal with his own behaviour, which is the only salient ethical point.

The same John Walsh when he went on British TV to do his mea culpa though was met with major objections to his line (which he tried to peddle exactly the same (almost word for word) as he did on CNN). Like he had to deal with obvious rejoinder of "If you thought it was all crazy, why did you keep reading the script right the way to the end (where the words were "Happy shooting kids" ) and then walk out of there with no protest, and in fact accept an award afterwards for your 'services to Israel' on the basis of what you said ,and then Tweet proudly about that award later?" And he couldn't deal with that at all. Because it's clear he didn't actually think it was all that crazy to encourage giving guns to three and four year olds, or if he did—possibly even worse—he didn't care because in his world that kind of self-serving politics is perfectly acceptable behaviour with zero consequences for anyone except the victims. And I guess he's probably been paid by the NRA to do that sort of thing all his political life, and has only benefited from it.
    Baden

Many of his recent victims are taking to the news and social media to defend themselves. Corinne "adopt-a-child-soldier" Olympios said she was thoroughly pranked and hopes nobody is offended (not able to acknowledge her ignorance). The butt-skin wielding anti-terrorist claimed that Sacha took advantage of his "crippling fear" resulting from death threats received over his proposed burka ban.

Palin wrote a face-book post about her experience:

Yup - we were duped. Ya’ got me, Sacha. Feel better now?

I join a long list of American public personalities who have fallen victim to the evil, exploitive, sick "humor" of the British "comedian" Sacha Baron Cohen, enabled and sponsored by CBS/Showtime.

This "legit opportunity" to honor American Vets and contribute to a “legit Showtime historical documentary” was requested of me via a speakers bureau.

For my interview, my daughter and I were asked to travel across the country where Cohen (I presume) had heavily disguised himself as a disabled US Veteran, fake wheelchair and all. Out of respect for what I was led to believe would be a thoughtful discussion with someone who had served in uniform, I sat through a long "interview" full of Hollywoodism’s disrespect and sarcasm - but finally had enough and literally, physically removed my mic and walked out, much to Cohen’s chagrin. The disrespect of our US military and middle-class Americans via Cohen’s foreign commentaries under the guise of interview questions was perverse.

Here is my challenge, shallow Sacha boy: go ahead - air the footage. Experience tells us it will be heavily edited, not pretty, and intended to humiliate.

The challenge is to Cohen, CBS and Showtime: donate all proceeds to a charitable group that actually respects and supports American Vets. Mock politicians and innocent public personalities all you want, if that lets you sleep at night, but HOW DARE YOU mock those who have fought and served our country.

Truly sick.

And as an aside, for further insight into the wealthy corporate enablers of this kind of “joke”, I’ll add that after great costs on our part in time and resources to contribute to their “documentary” the Cohen/CBS/Showtime production team purposefully dropped my daughter and me off at the wrong Washington, DC airport after the fake interview, knowing we’d miss all flights back home to Alaska. After refusing to take our calls to help get us out of the bind they’d put us in for three days, I wrote this off as yet another example of the sick nature that is media-slash-entertainment today.

Feel good and manly about your M.O., Sacha?

By the way, my daughter thinks you’re a piece of ****, Sacha. Every honorable American Vet should feel the same.

- Sarah Palin

Sacha in-character tweet-responded:

Dh7F6N8W0AE0Y3u.jpg:large

I have to say though I find the Mosque one which I haven't seen yet the most interesting and potentially disturbing. Because it may be (and I don't know yet) a representative sample of small town white America. And if so, it would explain a lot about the appeal of Trump and why he's doing so well, not despite, but seemingly because of his extreme views.Baden

I went back and re-watched this segment, and I'm not convinced that it's necessarily representative. Apparently it was actually a focus group that they paid people to attend (100-150$), and so they might have have a fairly biased sample depending on how they went about soliciting offers (i.e: did they hand out flyers at a particular church?). Additionally, Sacha handles the crowd very skillfully, using intentional (and comedic) misinterpretation of what the audience members are saying to frustrate and eventually infuriate them further and further. Many of the audience members seem mostly silent (not objecting to the others speaking on their behalf), but by the end a few of the individuals are so angry and disturbed that they say violence would be their final response...

------

Sacha claims that the show is actually a search for truth (perhaps as a legal precaution), but there is definitely some merit in finding out just how unstable and malleable the beliefs and statements of public figures can really be (turns out most of them are jackanapes...).

I might not call it truth, but Sacha is definitely teaching people a valuable lesson in humility and bull-shit. After an encounter with Sacha, maybe we won't be so eager to pander and warp our beliefs and actions merely to conform to what is in front of us.

If Sacha isn't searching for truth, he's definitely searching for bull-shit to destroy (which in the end serves the same purpose).
  • Baden

Good to see he did some balanced treatment on the left. Every side needs to learn a little humility as you said, and wherever there is dumb, let it be exposed (though the lefties do seem rather less sinister than some of the right wingers). Sarah Palin's response trying to make it out like it's an attack on the military and US values instead of her ignorance is rich. Stupidity is not a 'value' of any country. It must be pretty bad for her to say that though. Looking forward to it.
  • Michael
    Brexit Secretary Raab says government will ensure food supplies if no EU exit deal

The British government will ensure that there are adequate food supplies in case the country is unable to secure an exit deal with the European Union, Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab said on Tuesday.

“We will look at this issue in the round and make sure that there’s adequate food supplies,” Raab told a parliamentary committee when asked about his preparations for a so-called ‘no deal’ scenario.

Jesus Christ. If this even has to be discussed then how is it not a red light on Brexit? Cancel this idiocy, and fuck the will of the people @Sapientia.
  • unenlightened
    More importantly, it should be 'there're'. I don't mind starving, but bad grammar is intolerable.
  • Baden

Pity. You were getting a (relatively) soft Brexit until Boorish, Rice Smog and the DUP put the kibosh on it. Enjoy your rations. I'll send you over some contraband German sausage for your birthday. :party:
  • Michael
    I'll just have to buy more Huel.
  • Baden

Yeah, don't worry. Huel be ok.
  • Baden

Hm, you noticed the lack of contraction, but not the presence of ellipsis:

The British government will ensure that there are adequate food supplies [for the royal family]... — Beleaguered Tory

Long eat the Queen!
  • S
    If you fuck the will of the people, they will fuck you right back, as the Lib Dems should know. There won't be a "no deal" anyway.
  • Michael
    If you fuck the will of the people, they will fuck you right back, as the Lib Dems should know.Sapientia

Country over party.

There won't be a "no deal" anyway.Sapientia

If there is no deal then I'm coming over to your house and stealing your food.
  • unenlightened
    The will of the people is that Aldi remain cheap.
  • Michael
    I've never shopped in Aldi. Or Lidl.
  • Michael
    They're not in the town centre and I don't drive, so getting to them would be a pain.
  • Baden

Ah OK. I've always made use of them when in the UK or Ireland. Good dairy.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Actually I did. It seems the farther away from the city and crime, the more guns. Arizona is an interesting place - brutally hot in the south, vast, desolate grazing land as you go north, and maybe some really great places to live in the temperate areas near Flagstaff.Hanover

Doesn't that come across as odd that the further away from the city you go the more firearms you see? I could never make sense of it until we moved out of town and things change. The first thing I saw when I met my new neighbor was her sign in her window that says "You can take my bullets first". Pretty clear sign. Little did I know that not having a firearm out here is being the odd man out.

There is a fundamental core of self preservation when you live in a place that is so unforgiving weather wise and seeing that there is wild life out there and here that can be a danger if you become disabled in any way.

Hint: if shit goes down anywhere, hit the deck and remain there until the bullets stop. Whatever fool started the shit will be neutralized without you ever having to get involved or wait for the posse to arrive.
  • S
    Country over party.Michael

Yeah, but that can be interpreted both ways. You're thinking in terms of best interest, but the government gave the country a choice, and the country made its decision.

If there is no deal then I'm coming over to your house and stealing your food.Michael

You can try.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    My Indian and his girl friend leave Amsterdam today to head home :halo:
    Now, @Benkei how long do you think they are going to talk about moving to the Netherlands?
    I think they might actually do it. Have you ever head of VJ'ing? Visual Jockey like a Disc Jockey?
    They went to Tomorrowland in Belgium and my understanding is that the Netherlands are the top of the top in the industry that my eldest is doing here in the states. He is self employed and does all the work himself, is self employment possible and profitable?
  • Michael
    Yeah, but that can be interpreted both ways. You're thinking in terms of best interest, but the government gave the country a choice, and the country made its decision.Sapientia

And I'm saying that it's the wrong decision, and so the government should overturn it. It might lose them support, as you implied, but what's best for the country is more important than what's best for the party.

Food shortages aren't a price worth paying just to satisfy some abstract principle of "the will of the people", which is actually the will of a 4-point majority.
  • Hanover
    He resigned. Are you happy? Damn all of you!

www.yahoo.com/gma/georgia-congressman-resign-using-racial-slurs-sacha-baron-075905674--abc-news-topstories.html
  • Hanover
    Food shortages aren't a price worth paying just to satisfy some abstract principle of "the will of the people", which is actually the will of a 4-point majority.Michael

There'll be plenty of food, relax. If you're worried, stock up food and weapons like all the alarmists over here do.

I take comfort in the bottomless greed of capitalism, knowing that if my community were ever in need of food or fuel, there'd be people dodging bullets to stock the shelves to make a buck.
  • S
    And I'm saying that it's the wrong decision, and so the government should overturn it. It might lose them support, as you implied, but what's best for the country is more important than what's best for the party.Michael

And I'm saying that it's the wrong decision, but the government overturning it would also be the wrong decision. What's best for the country is a government which respects the results of a democratic vote. Just imagine if Remain had won, and then the government overturned the decision. It's wrong in principle, not just in light of the economic consequences.

Food shortages aren't a price worth paying just to satisfy some abstract principle of "the will of the people", which is actually the will of a 4-point majority.Michael

There won't be food shortages as a result of a "no deal", because there won't be a "no deal".
  • Michael
    And I'm saying that it's the wrong decision, but the government overturning it would also be the wrong decision.Sapientia

The first wrong decision is a worse decision than the second wrong decision.

What's best for the country is a government which respects the results of a democratic vote.

Not if the consequences of accepting that democratic vote are worse than ignoring that vote. If the people voted to restore slavery then it's best for the country if the government ignores it because slavery is worse than ignoring the vote in favour of slavery.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.