• Michael
    I'm eagerly awaiting Mathematical Conundrum or Not? Number Seven, @Jeremiah. ;)
  • Jeremiah
    I am still in recovery from number six, but if I don't do seven then six might just go in circles. However, even though I feel six moved a bit out of the context of the OP, it nonetheless has developed into some interesting discussion.
  • VagabondSpectre
    Question: Is this type of thing more evidence of human suggestibility and gullibility or actual political viewpoints?Baden

Good question.

I'm fairly certain that the statements Sacha is able to tease out of his victims do on many levels reflect their genuine attitudes/beliefs/worldviews/etc...

While he does use confidence tricks to put people off their guard, and while he does push people toward extreme versions of themselves and their ideas, he can only work with what is already there (or not there) in the first place. Sacha's main strategy is to exploit existing bias: the simpleton from the video above is putty in Sacha's hands: loves guns, hates terrorism, loves Israel, hates Muslims; 100% ready to thrust his exposed anus toward Sacha as part of an anti-Muslim-terrorist staining exercise.

In the back of his mind I'm sure he knows that sneaking up-burka photos with a selfie stick is ridiculous, but Sacha's character is already a bit ridiculous, and maybe Israeli mossad agents tough guys do things a bit differently in the land of god's chosen. As long as they agree on political ends, means are trivial and unimportant.

Later in the episode, Sacha uses his self-hating white male character to suprise-foist "the largest mosque outside of the middle-east" onto a small town of unsuspecting Arazonians. He begins by asking them if they want to see huge economic growth in Kingsman (they all raise their hands and clap), if they want 380 million dollars of direct investment (they all applaud once more), and then suddenly reveals his plan for a ridiculously large (and obviously misplaced) mosque. The all white and elderly attendees of the town-hall meeting immediately erupt in discontent and objection, and the scene descends into a level of racism that seems quite difficult to find these days...

Sacha's character was a stereotype of the left that the town-hall attendees bought hook, line, and sinker (and despised). Before long the whole room was screaming in explanation that the people of Kingsman equate "mosque" with "terrorism", are proudly racist against muslims, and "tolerate the few blacks" that they do have. It would obviously be retarded to install a large mosque in an all white town with zero Muslims, but the people at the town hall were so overcome with fear and emotion (their worst delusional fears being confirmed) that they could not make reasonable points or see through the ridiculous charade that Sacha was miming.

It's not just the intellectually lame that are vulnerable though. Sacha got Cheney to physically put his signature on a water-bottle and towel that he was told was used for water-boarding (amidst a flood of additional cheek)...

This is by far my new favorite non-fictional T.V show...
  • Michael
    Cannabis beer

I’m conflicted. I’m a fan of beer but not cannabis. What should I do when it’s eventually for sale?
  • Wallows
    0tb7c3mdgo42tbmu.jpg

Next image for an avatar? Thoughts?

He seems happy with that McBabyface.
  • Benkei
    what the hell are my baby pictures doing on the net?! :rage:
  • Wallows
    And thus, I have become @Benkei's babyface.
  • Hanover
    He's from south Georgia as I understand it (far away from chez Hanover and outside my district) and in the state house, but had already lost the primary and was leaving office anyway. His unfitness is obvious, but he may be a true simpleton and not a dangerous guy.
  • Hanover
    At the Grand Canyon right now in Tiff Country. Flew in to Phoenix (118 F), but at the higher elevation it's cooler here. My observation so far is that Europeans apparently love to visit out here and the current style in Europe must be really tight spandex shorts.

All the things I said about Europe I take back. Keep doing what you're doing. Long live free health care, gun bans, and atheism!
  • Noble Dust

What do trolls taste like?
  • Hanover
    And it will be equally entertaining to embarrass the left? If yes, I can do a Youtube search for you.
  • Baden

That's a reasonable analysis. And it's backed up by the contrast shown when Sacha takes on the left as he does in the Bernie Sanders' scene. There's much less in the way of raw material and there's concomitanty less shock value. Sanders is actually a reasonable guy and his views make sense (not saying everyone on the left is reasonable, but just that I haven't seen him really catch a left-winger saying anything very ridiculous or embarrassing, and that that is at least partly because there's less ridiculous and embarrassing raw material on the left). So, yes, you need those extreme views ready and revving just underneath the surface to make these kinds of situations work. I also think the right is more tribal, so when they find someone who credits and encourages the crazy, they have more of a tendency to jump right in. Like, wow, fellow traveler, instant BFF. I guess that's where the suggestibility comes in. And probably loads of other stuff Sacha has perfected over the years to get people to play along.

Another interesting dichotomy I noticed is with regard to the media reaction. I saw John Walsh (one of the gun nuts) on American Media (CNN) talking about how he was punked by Sacha and his line was basically, "Sorry, I know it's all crazy, I don't believe any of that. I was tricked. The end". And the guy who was interviewing him just ate it up. No pushback at all. It was almost like the debate was over the ethics of Sacha's behaviour in exposing Walsh and Walsh was graciously agreeing not to criticize Sacha too harshly and to just laugh the whole thing off rather than have to deal with his own behaviour, which is the only salient ethical point.

The same John Walsh when he went on British TV to do his mea culpa though was met with major objections to his line (which he tried to peddle exactly the same (almost word for word) as he did on CNN). Like he had to deal with obvious rejoinder of "If you thought it was all crazy, why did you keep reading the script right the way to the end (where the words were "Happy shooting kids" ) and then walk out of there with no protest, and in fact accept an award afterwards for your 'services to Israel' on the basis of what you said ,and then Tweet proudly about that award later?" And he couldn't deal with that at all. Because it's clear he didn't actually think it was all that crazy to encourage giving guns to three and four year olds, or if he did—possibly even worse—he didn't care because in his world that kind of self-serving politics is perfectly acceptable behaviour with zero consequences for anyone except the victims. And I guess he's probably been paid by the NRA to do that sort of thing all his political life, and has only benefited from it.

I have to say though I find the Mosque one which I haven't seen yet the most interesting and potentially disturbing. Because it may be (and I don't know yet) a representative sample of small town white America. And if so, it would explain a lot about the appeal of Trump and why he's doing so well, not despite, but seemingly because of his extreme views.

He's from south Georgia as I understand it...Hanover

OK, enough said. Thanks.

At the Grand Canyon right nowHanover

Please don't fall in. That would be awful.

Long live free health care, gun bans, and atheism!Hanover

:cheer:
  • Baden
    And it will be equally entertaining to embarrass the left?Hanover

He tried with Sanders. And failed. It was mildly amusing though. Fact is you won't find a video out there of a left-wing politician in state or federal government doing anything as crazy or objectionable as pulling his pants down and chasing Muslims with his bare ass or running around shouting "N....!" or suggesting we put guns in teddy bears to make them more acceptable to three year old kids. Not going to happen. Because the left is not insane.
  • Michael
    And it will be equally entertaining to embarrass the left?Hanover

If it's Jeremy Corbyn, then yes.
  • S
    :rage:
  • Erik
    This is utterly bizarre.Baden

:lol:

If he didn't realize he was being played after the selfie stick "test" for terrorists then he's a total idiot. If Sacha's bad disguise, his exaggerated accent, his acknowledging and then immediately retracting personal involvement with the Mossad (twice!) weren't enough to cause suspicion, then that should have been the clincher. And then, after all that, to engage in the ass counter-attack thing? How can you not realize this "anti-terror expert" is a complete caricature who's trying to make you look like a fool?

It's hard to fathom how this wasn't even suspected until after the fact. Perhaps some time was spent in more "serious" discussion as a means of gaining credibility before getting this clown to say and do such stupid things? That must have been part of it.

Something else which may mitigate the idiocy of this particular guy, even if just a little bit, involves those rare situations where you're talking to someone who seems kinda crazy, but you're not 100% certain. You go along with them in order to avoid the even more awkward scenario of laughing at (or dismissing) what they're saying only to find out they were actually being serious.

If an embarrassing episode like that has ever happened to you then you're much more likely to take the things that strangers say seriously, I think, or at least play it safe by pretending to believe them. We know the selfie stick test is ridiculous, of course, but what if there's a small possibility that it's not? Much easier to pass judgement on these sorts of things in hindsight, I suppose, than when you're right there in the mix without time for adequate reflection.
  • Baden

There's definitely some showmanship. Like he uses no doubt all sorts of psychological tricks and could probably make somewhat of a fool out of most people. Sometimes with these things there's a step by step 'commitment' and each step justifies the last. Like if you're already willing to take an upskirt picture with a selfie stick then hell, why not attack a Muslim with your bare ass? As VS said though you'd never get these types of results if there wasn't already some very weird stuff going on in these people's heads, and my sympathy is with anyone who has the misfortune to be Muslim in, at least certain parts of, the US.
  • Erik

True. That's a great point about drawing out the latent or preexisting insanity of these types. I've lived in areas before that are clearly Trump territory, and there are definitely some strange and disturbing ideas floating around in those places - hostility to a religion you know nothing about, uncritical patriotism, (what I find to be) really shallow conceptions of God and religion more generally, etc. Plenty of stuff worthy of being exposed for the stupidity that it is.
  • Hanover
    Not going to happen.Baden

Oh, let's see if the left can embarrass itself without anyone's help. Not a firm grasp in reality I'd say. Also from Georgia, this time a US Congressman, not just a part time member of the Georgia general assembly.
  • Baden

Yeah, that's a good one. Saw that before actually. Don't know if he's left though, just a regular Dem far as I know and this has no relation to any left wing position that I know of (those commies fighting on Guam's behalf against the sea!). He says he was using a "facetious metaphor" here but I don't buy it, it really does look as if he's drunk or brainless or both. OK, I agree then, your government is full of idiots on both sides. Why? Because it's not a meritocracy. It's about marketing and connections. Anyone can qualify to run the U.S.
  • Baden
    And what the F is with Georgia anyway? You must be the smartest guy in the state. :hearts:
  • Wallows

Trollish. Have to cook 'em first.
  • Baden
    Trying to out dumb you here, @Hanover. Best I can do:

• Baden
    He's basically a talking potato.
  • Hanover
    Got the gist of what he said, but I can't fully understand the accent, which is cool to listen to. I'd vote for anyone who talks that way.
  • Baden

He said "Bejaysus in the twelfth century we were roasted out of it and in the fifteenth century sure'n weren't we drowned out of it an' all this was before the combustible engine."

Case closed really. Bring on the fossil fuels.
  • Hanover
    There is actually evidence that the internal combustion engine cleaned up our communities by removing horses and their waste from our streets, which perhaps the good man was alluding too.

In case you're wondering who Hank Johnson beat to win office:
  • Hanover
    OK, I agree then, your government is full of idiots on both sides. Why? Because it's not a meritocracy. It's about marketing and connections. Anyone can qualify to run the U.S.Baden

What must you do to qualify in Ireland? Can't anyone run? Don't you think marketing would determine elections in Ireland as well, even though it might be marketing targeted to persuading a different demographic?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.