• Posty McPostface
    3 AM, Sleep for me to be had.
  • Hanover
    You want me to sing a song to my dog? My dog doesn't have the best hearing. Or do you just want to hear my Australian accent?TimeLine

This isn't about getting to know you or to hear what you're sure is an amazing accent. It's just that we want to know your dog is loved and properly sung to.
  • Agustino
    What is the relationship between bankers and thieves?
  • Posty McPostface
    And... no sleep was had.

Gotta refrain from engaging in philosophical shit or high powered intellectual topics at night.
  • Agustino
    Gotta refrain from engaging in philosophical shit or high powered intellectual topics at night.Posty McPostface
    Did you read Shestov :P ?
  • Posty McPostface

I found him pandering after a while, sorry couldn't make it through the first page you linked. But, I definitely liked his parallel between philosophers who cannot cease their sadomasochistic pursuit of knowledge and wisdom by gorging of the fruit from the tree of knowledge.

Quietism it is then!
  • Agustino
    Quietism it is then!Posty McPostface
    Yah, but why was your mind not quiet last night then?
  • Posty McPostface
    Yah, but why was your mind not quiet last night then?Agustino

Too much intellectual excitement and joy.

One has to moderate those mental masturbatory urges, ya know?
  • Agustino
    One has to moderate these mental masturbatory urges, ya know?Posty McPostface
    Yah of course... too much play with the dragon is not good! >:O
  • T Clark
    high powered intellectual topicsPosty McPostface

Oh, are you on another forum too? :-}
  • Posty McPostface

PhysicsForums. But I post the same stuff here as I post there, bar philosophical topics which aren't tolerated too much there. I say high powered because your required to present factual evidence in support of most claims made over there. So, it can take some time to read through studies or papers if you want to present a compelling case and get quality responses.

Not like I don't get that here; but, there's just a different methodology with science and philosophy.
  • T Clark
    Not like I don't get that here; but, there's just a different methodology with science and philosophy.Posty McPostface

Although I hate emojis with a deep, philosophical, esthetic, and linguistic fervor, I've decided I need to use them because people have trouble telling when I'm trying to be funny or ironic. Forgot to put one on my post. Just edited it.
  • Posty McPostface

Not sure what to say...
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    (L) I am going home to Chicago to see my Dad in February! The songs at Christmas about "I'll be home for Christmas" just about broke my heart but I have made it through so I can give him all the stored up hugs I have for him. My Uncle says that my Dad is slowing down, drifting out of conversations and is turning inward a bit. What better medicine than to have your over zealous, want to go for a walk puppy, cute as a button daughter fly in just to see YOU? (L)
  • Bitter Crank
    ironicT Clark

What is the emojis for "irony alert"? or "humor that sounds sarcastic, is pretty much, but isn't intended to cut too deeply"? "just too stupid to be allowed to live"? or "I don't like your emoji"? The pallet seems to be too limited.
  • Bitter Crank
    Keep these: ditch the rest

>:o 8-) :-x >:) (N) >:O :-d
  • dog

Nah. Drop them all. Make 'em work to decipher yer tone.
  • Bitter Crank
    What would such an irony symbol look like? Fortunately, the need for an irony sign is not new, and the question has been pondered and answered. In 1899, the French poet Alcanter de Brahms said that ironists should always use a kind of upside down question mark: “le petit signe flagellateur.” But the novelist Vladimir Nabokov answered the question best, decades before social networks. He suggested the “sly smile” of a horizontal parenthesis. — MIT Technology Review
    ¿
  • Noble Dust

Our first emoji-assisted sarcastic comment from T. Clark. You're doing great.
  • T Clark
    What would such an irony symbol look like? Fortunately, the need for an irony sign is not new, and the question has been pondered and answered. In 1899, the French poet Alcanter de Brahms said that ironists should always use a kind of upside down question mark: “le petit signe flagellateur.” But the novelist Vladimir Nabokov answered the question best, decades before social networks. He suggested the “sly smile” of a horizontal parenthesis. — MIT Technology ReviewBitter Crank

I personally like [Fe] or [♂], but using them makes me feel pompous. The male symbol is also the alchemical symbol for iron. I don't hate [¿]. I like to put brackets around it so there's no mistaking it as something else. I'm willing to agree to use it if others are. If we use parentheses instead of brackets, (¿), it looks a little like Jimmy Durante, who nobody but you, me, and a few others here has ever heard of.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.