• Agustino
    Here's the Aqua TowerBitter Crank
    Cool building. Never knew about it!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Flying to Chicago Wed 13, arrive same day, crossing the datelineWayfarer

What is bringing you to My home town?
  • unenlightened
    2664 shootings, of which 494 were fatal.Bitter Crank

That's appalling statistics - less than 20%; they should mandate a few hours target practice every week to improve them. I hope the police do better at least.
  • Agustino
    What is bringing you to My home town?ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Is your hometown as dangerous as BC says? What's the likelihood that @Wayfarer will get gunned down during his short stay? :-O
  • Bitter Crank
    Well, yeah -- Chicago is a dangerous town. BUT, it isn't dangerous if you stick to safe areas and safe activities. What are safe areas? Generally, the better, up-market areas. Safe Activities? Museums, galleries, restaurants, taxis, public transit to safe areas, and the like.

Not safe? Looking for sex, drugs, and rock & roll in the slums and black ghettos, for instance. Or taking a bus back to your hotel from the safe bars and getting off in the WRONG part of town. I did that once. I thought a bridge would conveniently cross the freeways and take me back to the hotel. Not so. 3:00 am, and I'm wandering down a street in one of the worst parts of town (later to be informed it was Cabrini Green). A black cab driver stopped and told me to get in, and set me straight about how stupid it was for a white guy to be wandering around in the neighborhood. I can't remember how much I tipped him -- I hope it was a lot.

That said, there are nice safe areas in Chicago, and a lot of very very not nice/not safe areas.

There is a history to how this came about. The blacks in Chicago were ghettoized from the get go, back in the 1930s and 40s. They were not allowed to live in or work in a lot of areas, and they gradually got poorer and poorer. (A lot of blacks moved out of the south into the midwest to escape poverty, jim crow, KKK, etc. during the 1920s - 1940s. Factories were glad to get cheap workers, but where they were supposed to live was their problem, not the factory owners, who certainly didn't want a bunch of blacks living anywhere close to them.)

Segregation of housing was also FORMALLY AND EXPLICITLY Federal policy until the 1970s-80s, despite court rulings against the policy. Blacks didn't move into and make ghettos because they liked it, they were shoved into the ghettos and forced to stay there, pretty much.

Over time, the ghettos deteriorated economically, psychologically, behaviorally, and so on. Guns, drugs, gangs, that sort of dung.
  • Wayfarer
    imminent birth first grandchild, a girl, due any day. We're over in (I'm told it's called) Ukrainian Village where son owns condo. And we're doing the list of BC's activities starting with the marvellous Art Institute. Then we're spending some time out at the little town of Belgium WI. And I'm planning a visit to https://www.korinji.org/.
  • Posty McPostface

Congratulations. Have a great time.
  • Wayfarer
    Forget the cup of coffee--I think i'll just kill myself instead.Bitter Crank

Hey don't do that BC! I wasn't responsible for picking the locale of my in-laws, they just happen to live between Wisconsin and Chicago. But it's all a great part of the world I have a feeling I will be around here a bit, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that we'll meet on a future visit.
  • Cavacava
    Pharma Bro ain't smirking now, off to jail, until sentencing
  • Bitter Crank
    At least in Belgium, Wisconsin you will be perfectly safe. The worst thing that could happen to you is either eating too much cheese (Wisconsin State Motto: Eat Cheese Or Die) or wading in Lake Michigan and stepping on a zebra mussel and cutting your footsie.

Enjoy. If you like Wisconsin, Minnesota is much the same.
  • Baden
    After seeing Hillary release and promote her fantastical book of BS "What happened" (subtitle: if you were on acid at the time) I'm actually glad Trump won. Really.
  • Agustino
    After seeing Hillary release and promote her fantastical book of BS "What happened?" (subtitle: if you were on acid at the time) I'm actually glad Trump won. Really.Baden

Pharma Bro ain't smirking now, off to jail, until sentencingCavacava
    Really the reason he got sent to jail - the Hillary thing - is insane. Tell me that that's not evidence that the state has become authoritarian and if you get in the wrong books with them, you will be punished.
  • Michael
    Really the reason he got sent to jail - the Hillary thing - is insane. Tell me that that's not evidence that the state has become authoritarian and if you get in the wrong books with them, you will be punished.Agustino

He wasn't sent to jail for the Hillary thing. He had his bail revoked for the Hillary thing. He was sent to jail for the fraud conviction.
  • Baden

I don't give two hoots about pharma bro' but Hillary is a bitter axe-grinding liar and she needs to go away now.

• Agustino
    but Hillary is a bitter axe-grinding liar and she needs to go away now.Baden
    Don't worry, she won't. In 2020 she will be running again - and probably because of her power and influence in the DNC, she'll be the primary candidate of the Democratic Party once again.
  • Baden

No, she is too hated. I guarantee you. Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow and her other surrogates in the media can't save her now. The left can't stand this woman, and the Dems need the left in 2020.
  • Agustino
    No, she is too hated. I guarantee you. Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow and her other surrogates in the media can't save her now. The left can't stand this woman, and the Dems need the left in 2020.Baden
    Maybe, but she and her family is still extremely powerful and influential. Even if people don't like her, she will still probably manage to clinch the nomination with super delegates.
  • Michael
    I'm actually glad Trump won. Really.Baden

I don't believe you.
  • Baden

She won't run because she knows she'll lose again and she won't be able to stand that. She's poison and everyone knows it. That's why she feels free to start throwing literary grenades around now.
  • Baden

No, I am. I would never have voted for either candidate but Hillary disgusts me more than Trump. She's trying to destroy someone on her own side out of bitterness and spite. +Kissinger. You could hold a gun to my head and I wouldn't vote for someone who's pally with a mass murderer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.