• Michael
    Finishing last as in bed.Posty McPostface

Oh, an innuendo on sexual intercourse. How droll.
  • Agustino
    finishing last is what nice guys do...Posty McPostface
    I think getting rid of people who aren't worth your time is a good thing no? But our culture teaches some wrong messages, unfortunately.
  • unenlightened
    The economy of time is very odd. One spends time saving time by eliminating time-wasters, only to find that one is time-poor.
  • Bitter Crank
    I think getting rid of people who aren't worth your time is a good thingAgustino

You are offering to pay my legal defense costs after I get rid of the people who aren't worth my time, right...
  • Agustino
    You are offering to pay my legal defense costs after I get rid of the people who aren't worth my time, right...Bitter Crank
    Well you've equivocated on "getting rid of" :P

"Getting rid of" is the other side of "finishing last". If you finish last, these people get rid of you, and hence you of them, without any action on your part. That, as the Stoics would say, is a good thing, not a bad thing.
  • Agustino
    What's with the new picture? Definitely looks both Bitterish and Crankish :-O
  • Bitter Crank
    Bitterish and CrankishAgustino

Quite.
  • praxis
    I also note (at least in the portion I listened to) the failure to discuss the link between happiness and spiritual beliefs. The path out of addiction is often paved with religious faith. I seriously doubt one will find happiness by reading that book.Hanover

I don't recall his exact words but when touching on the subject of religion he seemed to claim that the benefit was only in relationships. I guess it would be off-brand to include mind over body science.
  • Sir2u
    Finishing last as in bed.Posty McPostface

Do you mean going to sleep last?
  • Posty McPostface

Sleep is all important to me, so if it's between being a nice guy and finishing last and going to sleep soon and comfortably, I take the sleep.
  • Sir2u
    so if it's between being a nice guy and finishing last and going to sleep soon and comfortablyPosty McPostface

I'm still confused about the finishing part, could we have more details?
  • Baden

And if you're relaxing and enjoying yourself, you're wasting time whereas if you're doing some crappy job you hate, you're using it well. :s
  • Posty McPostface

Shamefully, I have none to share. But, I feel a certain pride in that shamefulness. Emotions, tricky things.
  • Wayfarer
    Flying to Chicago Wed 13, arrive same day, crossing the dateline.
  • Agustino
    And why are you telling us? Are we supposed to come meet you? >:O
  • Wayfarer
    No reason.
  • praxis
    Long flight from downunda. I'd offer a ride from the airport if I didn't live 2,000 miles away. Sorry!
  • Bitter Crank
    One of my favorite cities. You can take a subway from the O'Hare United Terminal into DT Chicago. Then you can switch trains DT and take another one to Midway Airport, where you can catch a cheap flight to Minneapolis. I'll meet you at the airport and buy you a cup of coffee, then send you back to Chicago where you really want to be. Otherwise you would have come here first. I'm quite annoyed you didn't. Peeved. Very hurt. A most painful slight. I'm devastated. Forget the cup of coffee--I think i'll just kill myself instead.

Lots of great architecture in Chicago. Oak Park is where Frank Lloyd Wright established the Prairie School of design. Several nice tours. The Carleton Hotel in Oak Park is quite decent, and is close to the last stop on the elevated train from DT Chicago -- about 25 minutes DT to OP. Take the Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise. Definitely the best. do the Monadnock Bldg tour; tickets from the Chicago Architecture FNDN on Michigan Avenue, and the Museum of Science and Industry, which was part of the 1893 World's Fair.

Google the zip codes with the most shootings and try to avoid walking around in them at 2:00 a.m or 2:00 p.m. Oak Park is a safe neighborhood, but it is surrounded.

If you want to stay at an architecturally significant hotel try important Chicago Team of Burhham and Root try the Burnham Hotel. It was built over a century ago as an innovative office building. It's across the street from a Macy's Dept. Store. There's also a Virgin Hotel (don't know why anybody would want to stay there) and Trump Towers.

tumblr_ow73rxeo481s4quuao2_540.jpg

tumblr_ow73rxeo481s4quuao1_540.jpg

Here's the Aqua Tower, apartments. Gives you an idea of the vitality of Chicago architecture.

240px-Aqua_Tower_Chicago.jpg
  • Bitter Crank
    This last weekend, 24 hours between Saturday morning and Sunday morning 4 people were killed and 22 were injured in separate incidents in Chicago. Oh hum, same old same old.

According to the tastefully named "Hey, Jackass - Illustrating Chicago's Values" web site, there have been 2664 shootings, of which 494 were fatal. That's not since the city was founded, that's just this year, so far. These were not police shootings. Just business as usual in da'hood. White guys are missing from the stats. They're just not doing their part.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.