• Michael
    Does anyone else ever find themselves saying "shut up Meg" whenever Mila Kunis is on TV?
  • Sir2u
    Don't know who Meg is, but she was cute in "That 79' Show" :-}
  • Sir2u
    What happened to the thread about pets?

We need one here. cus they got one over the other side of the street.
  • Cavacava
    I don't watch TV shows, except on Netflix, but she is hot. She does not
    have to say a thing, it wrecks the persona I have already imagined. ..so yea shut up!

Re-imagining.

Thinking about a Turducken re-imagined as a Terrine, a French styled meatloaf. It is easy enough to purchase ground chicken and turkey, and duck breast. The duck breast has a layer of fat over it, which, since its fat is very tasty, I would trim off and put over the top of the Terrine. All three meats are done about same temp...some garlic, onion, mushroom...yea it's that time of year!

Putting the chopped or ground duck in center, which hopefully will add moisture and flavor to the Turkey and the Chicken. Slices that look kinda of like a meaty Rothko Serving over a salad topped with a light creamy vinaigrette. Champagne, a dry sherry or a Prosecco.

I have not decided on kind of mushroom or whether I should just chop up the duck fine for more mouth feel or ground it up like the chicken and turkey. Maybe instead of the duck fat, bacon or just butter on top of the Terrine, otherwise the dish might be too greasy.

Thoughts?
  • Bitter Crank
    For the chicken, I would get "Smart Chicken" - a brand name. Smart chicken is air-cooled after being gutted, rather than being dropped into a vat of brains dead chickens to cool off. They are cleaner, according to Consumer Reports. But the main thing is that its skin gets crispier and tastier in the oven than the slop-cooled bird skin.

If you carefully removed the skin of a smart chicken, you could use it as a wrap for the boned raw meat, and it would (if it were smart) get crispy. You could use turkey drum sticks and cut the meat off those. Cut nice large hunks of raw meat off the chicken carcass and then combine them with duck and combine with the chopped mushrooms, garlic, onion, and a little ground black pepper and salt. Wrap in the chicken skin. Use the chicken carcass and turkey bones for soup.

This is strictly fantasy. I have never cooked anything so complicated. Proceed at your own risk.

I don't like rare duck, so I would want to make sure it was quite done. No rare fowl period. Can this be managed in your recipe? One could add bacon and/or a little chopped up sausage. Ham? Wild rice?

Like sweet potatoes? Bake several yams or sweet potatoes (same thing). Remove skins. Beat to a somewhat smooth consistency, add some butter and salt slightly. Back at the ranch, cook 3 or 4 sliced tart apples with 2 cups of cranberries. Sweeten to taste. Put the mashed sweet potatoes in a baking dish. Spread the cranberry-apple mixture on top. Reheat.
  • Baden
    I very rarely say this, but well done, Fox News. Credit where credit is due to Shep Smith for eviscerating this attempt to excuse a war crime and blame the victims.
  • Cavacava
    Hi BC thanks.

I will look for 'Smart' Chicken. Temperature should not be a problem, chicken, turkey and duck are good from 165 to 175 degrees F. And since this will be cooked in a deep oval dish with a lid, getting the right internal temperature should not present a problem. Un- Molding the Terrine will be more of a trick, I want it to come out looking like the dish it was cooked in so it can be sliced like a loaf.

I have this big ass Kitchen-Aid with a grinding blade for meat so it is more a question of what cuts will work best, I think I will stay traditional, if there is such a thing as traditional Turducken. Breast meat tends to dry out, and I imagine it will take a while to cook because it will be fairly dense. I like cooking so it should be a challenge to get to just right not to dry, not too greasy. I have to review some of the traditional recipes to determine how people season them and may borrow some ideas.

It will be served cold...the gelatin in the meats should congeal enough to keep the slices together, make them aesthetically pleasing. :)
  • Michael
    She's on Family Guy.
  • Sir2u
    Never seen it, I don't watch too much TV and we probably don't have that channel here. One of the problems with local cable is that they mostly have channels that are at least dubbed in Spanish.
    Most of my favorite shows were on USA and they took it off.
    Life sucks in paradise sometimes.
  • Michael
    You don't need to worry about TV channels when you have the Internet. ;)
  • Sir2u

Yeah I know, I have every episode of ALF and "That 79' Show", plus a few other short runners. But I don't bother looking for things unless I know about them. Maybe I'll checkout a couple of shows.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff

Oh my give me some Shep! Anytime, anywhere, EVER! He KNOCKS it outta the park!
    ~swooning~ (L)
  • Baden
    Lol :) This reminds me of Sheps now. He's knocked a few out of the park in his time. Be a nice addition to the site. Anyone in touch with him?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I invited our real sheps and he is also pretty freakin fine himself! 8-)
  • jamalrob
    Where did @Hanover go?
  • Hanover
    Sorry, been around. Personal stuff, but I'll be back with a vengeance!
  • Sapientia
    I need to catch up with this month's reading group and the one that I started on the Prolegomena. But, first things first, I'm hungry. I'm going to Dorington's to get some grub.
  • jamalrob
    Talking of baking, my girlfriend made bagels today. I didn't realize the chewy texture came from boiling them.
  • shmik
    A friend just sent this to me. He said that it reminded him of me. I guess it could work for plenty of people here.
    the_sake_of_argument.png
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.