• jamalrob
    Top and bottom of the page. It'll make more sense once there's a whole load of text in between them.
  • Hanover
    I never knew there was a way to be invisible. Does that just mean you're lurking around without logging in?
  • Wosret
    For like years I thought that "invisible member" was just someone's name...
  • jamalrob
    This is on PF yes? No you can actually turn on a setting to make you appear as invisible (huh?) so that your name doesn't appear at the bottom of the page under "Currently viewing this thread". You just appear as "invisible member".

But here, everyone is invisible. I like that. It removes another distraction. However you can see who's online by going here: http://thephilosophyforum.com/profile/members/online
  • ProbablyTrue
    theSoren seems like a decent guy..It's too bad he didn't start posting sooner to quell the exodus.
  • Wosret
    He's a PR guy, doing his job, attempting to secure financial assets. He isn't posting about topics that interest him, but rather the directions PF can go to make them more money, while attempting to calm everyone's shit.
  • ProbablyTrue
    Even so, if he would have showed up the day of or after the sale and explained his/their intentions, I'm not sure this site would exist. PF probably would have ended up with some form of ads based on what Paul and others have said recently.
    This site is visually far prettier than the old PF and has some nice features.
  • Mongrel
    For like years I thought that "invisible member" was just someone's name...Wosret
    I did too. I thought... that's not a very flattering name.
  • Sapientia
    I thought Modbot was a real member when I first encountered her.
  • Sir2u
    I thought Modbot was a real member when I first encountered her.Sapientia

But how did you figure out that it was a she?
  • Sapientia
    But how did you figure out that it was a she?Sir2u

I call it a "she" as a formality, because Modbot is a clone of Eliza, which is a female name.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    4.5 hours ago a HUGE something ROCKED our ranch and for the love of God could not figure out what. Turns out it was a 4.1 Earthquake, here in Arizona. Well folks our beach front property when California breaks off after the BIG one, just got a little bit closer!
    ;) Btw it's been a WHILE since something rocked my world on a Sunday night! ;)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Oh, oh and, AND my Rottweiler puppy started chewin up the area rug about 15 minutes before the first quake. Do you suppose he has some special powers in that he KNEW something was up before? Or was he just trying to teeth his rear molars on the rug? :D
  • Wosret
    When I went back to adult highschool, we were all talking about our pets for some class exercise, and this 30 year old woman with the fashion sense of a 60 year old said that her dog was military trained, and once took instructions over the phone after calling 911 to administer medication to her mother after she collapsed, selected from the medicine cabinet.

So I was all like, "oh yeah, well my dog can sense earth quakes and fly.".
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    And my font color purple! What haven't you done before me Wosret? :P
  • Wosret
    Just a story, that I thought was funny, which your comment reminded me of.
  • Sir2u
    I hate earthquakes. They are sort of common around here though. A few years ago we had a big one, 7.5. Dropped my house from 2 meter posts to sitting on the floor most of the way around. Most of the area around where I live is filled swamps and it is only just above sea level so there was a lot of rolling around for what seemed like hours but was only about 45 seconds.

Lots of people around here said that there was an eerie quite, not even the dogs barked for a while before it happened. Don't know whether they can sense things like that or if it is just us attaching "possible" memories to the events.
  • Bitter Crank
    Oh no, our postillion has been struck by lightning during the earthquake!
  • Sir2u

But which caused what? As I said it might have been coincidence and then attached to the memory of the shaking.
    And apart from that, why do you have horse carriages? :s
  • Bitter Crank
    "My postillion has been struck by lightning" was, for some odd reason, a favored sentence in French phrase books for beginners, like late 1800s, early 1900s. Even at the time it was thought to be a ridiculous phrase to learn -- something on the nonsensical order of

La plume de ma tante
    Est sur le bureau de mon oncle,
    Le papier de mon oncle
    Est sur le bureau de ma tante.

Have you heard this horrible song, long ago? Or the equally awful itsy bits tout petit petit bikini?

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.