• T Clark
    On the hand, if it's just a stupid game of kicking a ball around, then who cares. That's sort of where I am on it. It's not like real football.Hanover

This is true. Real Football has the all-important Knock People Down and Stomp on Them Rules that allow players to, well, knock people down and stomp on them. So-called "football" in other nations only allows that among spectators.
  • universeness
    Real Football has the all important Knock People Down and Stomp on Them Rules that allow players to, well, knock people down and stomp on them.T Clark
    @Hanover
    On the hand, if it's just a stupid game of kicking a ball around, then who cares. That's sort of where I am on it. It's not like real football.Hanover

Yeah, but real men call that rugby, not football. Football in the USA, is like rugby with a crash helmet and lots of protective padding.
  • T Clark
    rugbyuniverseness

In the games in the UK, how many people on the field for each team, 7 or 15? What's the difference in play?
  • Hanover
    Yeah, I don't get it.
  • Baden

$#@$$_&er

Alright, just for you.

4vduqg5pqdlr4elg.png
  • Hanover
    So an older gentleman is suffering from an emergency cardiological situation only to be intercepted by a happy go lucky volume of Moby Dick.

It's an absurd interaction to be sure, but a bit too avant garde for me.
  • Hanover
    The cartoon humor has been downhill since my jelly fish zinger.
  • Hanover
    I'm in Denver right now, and I took this pic in the men's bathroom.1ekf5nunc3a1kze3.jpg
    Back home, the tampons are only in the women's bathroom.

That's one difference I noticed out here. The mountains are another.
  • Tom Storm
    So an older gentleman is suffering from an emergency cardiological situation only to be intercepted by a happy go lucky volume of Moby Dick.Hanover

I think it's saying that instead of defining objective reality in terms of an inaccessible and ungraspable beyond, phenomenologists would argue that the right place to locate objectivity is in, rather than beyond, the appearing world. The co-created meaning of Melville's text and greeting is an act of intersubjective collaboration which is situated alongside faith as an embodied form of crack pipe smoking nominalism. It's a hilarious drawing.
  • Hanover
    It's a hilarious drawingTom Storm

Now that you explain it, I guess it is pretty hilarious in a slapstick sort of way.
  • Outlander

Make one with William Shakespeare. "To be or not to be". Even I can think of one.

Or as an interloper in a presidential speech: "Ask not what your country can do for you", etc.
  • jorndoe
    That's a good lot of plankton.

Evidence of phytoplankton blooms under Antarctic sea ice
    — Horvat, Bisson, Seabrook, Cristi, Matthes · Frontiers in Marine Science · Nov 17, 2022

Related to climate change?
  • unenlightened
    A bit of good news -ish. photosynthesis reducing the CO2 levels in the ocean and potentially allowing more absorption from the atmosphere as currents circulate.
  • universeness

If I am being honest, I am not really into sports but just based on FYI, I did some 'bing' searching and:

In 1823, a school in Rugby, England created a modified version of football, the precursor to soccer and American football. In 1871, the Rugby Football Union was formed, and in 1886, the International Rugby Football Board established some rules for the sport. Rugby was recognized as a professional sport in 1995.

Rugby is similar to soccer and American football, as it is played on a grass field with a goal on each end. It begins with a kick-off, and the ball can be passed only laterally or backwards. The ball can be kicked, and tackling is permitted. Scoring is called a “try” and is executed much like a touchdown. Rugby sevens is another form of rugby in which each team has seven players.

and:

The most popular version of rugby is Rugby Union with teams of 15 players on the field and 8 substitutes.

Rugby League has 13 players and 4 substitutes.

Rugby Sevens, an Olympic sport, has 7 players and 3 substitutes (with 5 players on the bench).

Other variants of rugby have different team numbers.

Here is a breakdown of team numbers by the type of rugby:

Governing Body Name Field Subs
    World Rugby Rugby Union 15 8
    World Rugby Sevens 7 3 *
    World Rugby Rugby 10s 10 5
    International Rugby League Board Rugby League 13 4
    International Rugby League Board Rugby League Nines 9 4
    International Rugby League Board Rugby League Sevens 7 5
    Federation of International Touch Touch Rugby 6 unlimited
    French Rugby Federation Touch Rugby (France) 5 5
    International Wheelchair Rugby Federation Wheelchair Rugby 4 8
    Informal Beach Rugby 4 to 7* 3 to 7*

I think the rules of play differ quite a bit between American football and Rugby union but there are many similarities as well.
    There is now a lot of discussions on the long-term brain damage happening to rugby players in the UK. Perhaps they will all end up wearing crash helmets and padding as well but even if they do, many American football players regularly suffer long term physical damage, do they not?
    The number of British football/soccer players, who end up with long-term brain damage due to heading the ball, is also far too high.
  • Baden
    Make one with William Shakespeare.Outlander

On the list, sir. :up:

That'll do. :100:
  • Hanover
    So the book just goes around and says stupid things? Maybe work on it saying smart things that are limited to book smarts but not street smarts. Now that my friend would be hilarious. I'm spitting shit up laughing at how that might play out, especially in the bedroom.

Get this: it's a textbook copulation, but wholly unsatisfying to either volume of the Joy of Sex. Hahaha!

Good stuff. Thanks for the inspiration!!
  • T Clark
    Get this: it's a textbook copulation, but wholly unsatisfying to either volume of the Joy of Sex. Hahaha!Hanover

So, the Kama Sutra is reading the Joy of Sex. It says "Ewww!"
  • T Clark

Reason I was asking is that I read that the Olympics included 15-player Rugby in the early 1900s then stopped. More recently they added 7-player as a new sport.
  • universeness

Yes, I think that's correct, for the summer Olympics anyway.

Rugby Union - 15 players per team - has been featured on the Olympic programme four times: in 1900, 1908, 1920 and 1924. In Rio in 2016, Rugby Sevens made its first appearance at the summer Olympics.
  • Hanover
    As this is the season of giving, I remain humbly open to receiving. Please, this year, let's be more giving.

You can't have a fulfilling Thanksgiving unless someone is willing to celebrate a Thanksgetting.

You're welcome.
  • Caldwell
    Happy thanksgiving, Hanover.

Happy thanksgiving to all. :heart:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw0CqEd_LoFphW-2vIGkZYcpCtq7d7a9r1NQ&usqp=CAU
  • jgill
    In Rio in 2016, Rugby Sevens made its first appearance at the summer Olympicsuniverseness

It's interesting the sport events in the Olympics that have appeared, been dropped, and perhaps one or two that no one seems to know if they occurred. Back in the 1950s in college I climbed rope for speed and worked the rings. Rope climbing in the Olympics disappeared before the 1936 games and a fair amount is known about it, but there were two rings events: stationary rings and flying rings, and I did some of both. The former exist in modern Games, but no one seems to know if flying rings - in the technical sense - was ever part of the Games. References to "flying rings" could have meant either one. The flying kind was a lot more dangerous, like circus acts with no nets. I didn't stick with it long.
  • universeness

Yeah, going right back to the Greeks, a lot of events have come and gone, no more chariot racing!

You might get a giggle at this one:
    "Art competitions formed part of the modern Olympic Games during its early years, from 1912 to 1948. The competitions were part of the original intention of the Olympic Movement's founder, Pierre de Frédy, Baron de Coubertin. Medals were awarded for works of art inspired by sport, divided into five categories: architecture, literature, music, painting, and sculpture.
    The juried art competitions were abandoned in 1954 because artists were considered to be professionals, while Olympic athletes were required to be amateurs. Since 1956, the Olympic cultural programme has taken their place".

Did they do this art in a stadium? How long did they get? (Some of my oil paintings, take me months!) Were there any spectators? and if there were, would they not be bored stiff?
  • javi2541997
    I want to share this picture of the sunset I took a few hours ago.

bty1UBb.jpg
  • frank

The sky is an ever-changing work of art. Where is that?
  • javi2541997
    It is in Madrid, the neighbourhood where I live and it is called "Vallecas" literally in English "valley of Kas".
  • Hanover
    xndlc1ckqe7iut23.jpg
    This is outside Denver, visiting for Thanksgiving.
  • Hanover
    @Michael An embarrassing result for the non-country of England.

When you finish a game 0-0, how can feel you've accomplished anything more than you would have if you had just sat around on the couch all day? It was 0-0 before they even went out there. I scored the same amount as both teams combined and I was petting my cat.

Maybe they should make the goal bigger and the ball smaller.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions