• universeness
    (I also prefer atomist to materialist.)180 Proof

I think if I told that same woman that I am an atomist, she might think I only like small people or have a small manhood.
  • universeness

In fact, knowing my luck, and today's society, and the fact she already thinks I'm a pervy naturalist/naturist, and that she is very attractive and in her mid 30's and I am 58.
    When I tell her I am 'an atomist', she will hear anatomist and make some accusation about my pervy interest in her body parts. :blush: :lol:
    Thankfully I am good friends with her very large, very strong husband, who seems to see me as some kind of wise person who he must respect. I think she keeps accusing me of such 'pervy' stuff due to some annoyance with her husbands, at times over the top and unwarranted deference towards me.
  • universeness
    In the distant future, will this be considered the true beginning of the human species becoming interplanetary?

From Wiki:
    Artemis 1, is an ongoing uncrewed Moon-orbiting mission, the first spaceflight in NASA's Artemis program. It is the first integrated flight test of the Orion spacecraft and Space Launch System rocket. Artemis 1 was successfully launched from Kennedy Space Center on 16 November 2022 at 01:47:44 EST (06:47:44 UTC). Its main objective is to test the Orion spacecraft, especially its heat shield, in preparation for subsequent Artemis missions. These missions will seek to re-establish a human presence on the Moon and demonstrate technologies and business approaches needed for future scientific studies, including exploration of Mars.
  • frank
    Just to let everyone know of the superiority of the American health care system, I made an appointment at the dermatologist on Tuesday to be seen on Thursday and the lady removed a cyst from my temple.Hanover

Next time go to Dr Pimple Popper and tell her you want some of the youtube profits.
  • 180 Proof
    When we start building either (A) AI-automated manufacturing (self-replicating) facilities on asteroids, moons, planets and/or (B) O'Neil cyclinder-like mega-systems (i.e. cities) inside hollowed-out asteroids for permanent space habitats, I think only then will we be on our way to becoming an "interplanetary" – non-planetary, extra-terrestrial – species. We're still stuck in a 1950s-60s paradigm, but there are cracks appearing in that old egg (e.g. lunar & martan "smart" rovers, cometary rendezvous, HST & JWST, sun & outer solar system probes like Cassini, a developing private space industry, etc) which may hatch something significant in our lifetime.

Sounds like her kink may be a thing for an older perv. In my case once I hit 50 (I'm 59 now), twenty-thirtysomething women have shown more 'interest' in me than it seems they had a couple of decades ago. Older sapiosexual (naturalist-atomist) perv I am & proud of it! :yum: :up:
  • Hanover
    Sounds like her kink may be a thing for an older perv. In my case once I hit 50 (I'm 59 now), twenty-thirtysomething women have shown more 'interest' in me than it seems they had a couple of decades ago. Older sapiosexual (naturalist-atomist) perv I am & proud of it! :yum: :up:180 Proof

No shame in tapping into the daddy issues crowd.
  • 180 Proof
    No shame in tapping into the daddy issues crowd.Hanover
    None. Tapping that has almost always been short-term win-win fun. :smirk:
  • universeness

Oh I agree we are still space babies or even space amoebas, but I just wonder if future historians will cite Artemis 1 as a very significant beginning. I also wonder what all the conspiracy dimwits that claimed the moon landings were fake, will say, when we actually return and live and work there?

twenty-thirtysomething women have shown more 'interest' in me than it seems they had a couple of decades ago. Older sapiosexual (naturalist-atomist) perv I am & proud of it!180 Proof

Can't say I get much attention from twenty or thirty something women. You must be prettier at 59 than I at 58.
    I am not attracted to women my age or older. So, I have to settle mostly for the good beers and good cheers nowadays, which is ......... good enough!
  • Amity

I think I've come to the conclusion I have enough interest to do this once a year, partly because I think there's diminishing returns in engagement if we do it twice a year...Baden

Thanks to @Caldwell for continuing the discussion with update in the thread,
    'Short Story Competition Discussion June 2022':

After confirming with Baden, we will skip the short story this December; which I think is better -- we will save the best for the window in the spring-summer time. — Caldwell
  • Baden
    Thanks @Caldwell :up:
  • 180 Proof
    I am not attracted to women my age or older. So, I have to settle mostly for the good beers and good cheers nowadays, which is ......... good enough!universeness
    :up:

Btw, why some folks don't want the Moon Landings to have happened is still a (psychiatric) mystery to me. You'd have be wholly ignorant or gullible enough to believe that all Cold War adversaries who tracked (with radars, eavesdropping satellites & telescopes) and recorded all six Apollo missions to the Moon 1969-1972 were collectively in on "the hoax" and agreed to cover it up together in order to declare the USA "winner of the space race." Stupid is as stupid does, I guess; Dunning-Kruger flat earthers have Youtube channels too. :sparkle: :eyes:
  • universeness

Yeah, It seems you really can fool some of the people all of the time, and that's why the conspiracy theorists continue to get money from the gullible.
  • unenlightened
    I used to keep a cow, and there are two rules in the safety manual.

1. Don't stand between the horns and the wall.
    2. don't lie down between the hooves and the floor.

You'd think old men in rural areas would know this stuff. "Out of control" is an euphemism for 'on heat', or else excessive use of the cattle prod. Either way the slaughter is a crime against bovinity, and I will be complaining to my MP about it.
  • Hanover
    If Wales gets to field a soccer team in the World Cup, I think every US state should get to field one.
  • jgill
    I am not attracted to women my age or older.universeness

You might be surprised how things change as you tip-toe into old age. :cool:
  • universeness
    You might be surprised how things change as you tip-toe into old age. :cool:jgill

I will not tiptoe! I like surprises, especially if they 'take my breath away.' I am however quite shallow when it comes to physical attraction. I like what I like and that's it. I agree however that having good female friends, my age or older is of great benefit. I really like my own cave however and I love my own company, but I do need, very much, to have the companionship/friendship/association of others.
    I hope none of that changes as I get older. I have witnessed in older relatives, that for some, life can change dramatically, very quickly, mentally and/or physically, as you get older.
    I have no idea, how I would react to major drops in the quality of my life.
    I have witnessed the destruction that can happen to people, through illness, unfortunate happenstance, self-destructive behaviour, ignorance, unjust treatment etc but I have also witnessed those with a robust health in their 80's and even 90's, positive happenstance, sustained personal effort to behave in selfless ways, attempts to always be learning, and fantastic support of your life from family, friends and even from 'society.'
    My own personal measure/experience is that, overall, balancing the positive and the negative, so far, it's been a wonderful life!
  • Amity
    Follow up to:
    Thanks to Caldwell for continuing the discussion with update in the thread,
    'Short Story Competition Discussion June 2022':

After confirming with Baden, we will skip the short story this December; which I think is better -- we will save the best for the window in the spring-summer time.
    — Caldwell
    Amity

A decision taken then to cancel and not to be overturned.
    Just one last thing re levels of interest.

I noted that the highest level was during what I now call 'Jamal's Winning Contest' ( Competition2).
    Perhaps it was the juiciness of the Plum Pie but I think it was @Jamal's engaging and sustained interest in all entries not just his own which had 124 replies. This brought everyone together.
    The time and energy to fully participate is not something everyone wants to or can do.
    When it happens there is a great sense of achievement and in my case, learning. Thanks to all.

Anything coming after that would seem less. But really wasn't in comparison to Comp1.
    This gauging levels of participation before the event reminds me of the angst before the first TPF revival of the Short Story Competition. Thanks to the perseverance of people like @180 Proof, it happened.

The decision taken is based on Baden's belief that doing it once a year makes more sense; apparently, it will be fresher that way.

I doubt it will be any fresher...
    ...unless in the meantime efforts are made for improved organisation and voting system.
    And perhaps a 'Spring Forward' support by the likes of Jamal and co.
    Or the prevention of any conflict of interest by having an objective host with no entry.
    Looking at the stories in themselves and not any perceived intentions of an author.

I've said more than I intended.
    It would have been good if Baden had started a new pinned thread to discuss Short Story 4 and its cancellation. Better than skirting around in the nonsense of Shoutbox.
    I note and wonder at the silence of other mods who would usually participate or support.
    @Benkei @Hanover @Michael - what's up?

A disappointing decision but hey... worse things happen at sea...or at railway stations...
  • Michael
    If Wales gets to field a soccer team in the World Cup, I think every US state should get to field one.Hanover

As if any individual state would be good enough to qualify.
  • Amity

Ah, now that might just explain the Short Story Contest cancellation.

The World Cup 2022 is being staged in Qatar.
    From Nov 20th - December 18th.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/22/world-cup-qatar-human-rights-roy-keane

Roy Keane has condemned Fifa’s decision to allow the World Cup to be hosted in Qatar, in view of the country’s human rights record and its treatment of migrant workers and LGBTQ+ people.
    Speaking during ITV’s live coverage of Argentina v Saudi Arabia on Tuesday, the former Manchester United and Republic of Ireland midfielder summed up the ethical concerns felt by many regarding the controversial tournament. Same-sex relationships are illegal in Qatar, while thousands of workers are alleged to have died during the construction of the tournament stadiums and infrastructure
    [...]
    The issue came to a head on Monday when seven countries that had planned for their captains to wear the armbands in Qatar, to champion inclusivity, backed down when faced with the threat of sporting sanctions from Fifa.

More than a few stories there worth the telling or showing, if allowed...
    Such balls.
  • Baden
    Roy Keane has condemned Fifa’s decision to allow the World Cup to be hosted in Qatar

:up:
  • Amity

On that we agree :up:
  • Hanover
    As if any individual state would be good enough to qualify.Michael

As if the Fighting Peaches of Georgia wouldn't lay waste to whatever his royal Highness threw at them.
  • Hanover
    I'm ambivalent on the sports embargo concept. If we wish to elevate play on the field to international diplomacy, we can't look upon a snub as a trivial gesture, but as an official declaration we don't wish to interact with that nation. Dealing with unseemly folks is unfortunately the path to some degree of harmony. Our table will get smaller and smaller if we choose only the worthy to join us.

On the hand, if it's just a stupid game of kicking a ball around, then who cares. That's sort of where I am on it. It's not like real football.
  • 0 thru 9
    Health and beauty tip: for muscle cramps and soreness, rub magnesium oil over the area. The oil also acts as a deodorant, and is not actually oily.

Cheap bastard tip: expensive magnesium oil is just epsom salt in water. Buy a bag of epsom salt and make your own.

Tummy tip: do NOT drink magnesium oil unless you’re so constipated that projectile diarrhea is a welcome thing at that point lol.
  • Baden
    I'm ambivalent on the sports embargo concept. If we wish to elevate play on the field to international diplomacy, we can't look upon a snub as a trivial gesture, but as an official declaration we don't wish to interact with that nation. Dealing with unseemly folks is unfortunately the path to some degree of harmony. Our table will get smaller and smaller if we choose only the worthy to join us.Hanover

It's complicated. But almost everyone has a line. It might be Qatar. It might be Russia. It might be N. Korea. The more honest debate imo is where we draw the line and why, not if we draw a line. But I'm not too interested in getting into it. I wouldn't be watching the World Cup regardless.

if it's just a stupid game of kicking a ball around, then who cares. That's sort of where I am on it.Hanover

How about you make a cartoon about a stupid football that plays football stupidly. Just give me credit for the idea and we're golden. :up:
  • Michael
    Our table will get smaller and smaller if we choose only the worthy to join us.Hanover

That's fine. Nobody wants the racist uncle at the table anyway.
  • Hanover
    That's fine. Nobody wants the racist uncle at the table anyway.Michael

People aren't mad about the racist uncle at the table as much as they're mad about no alcohol being served.
  • frank
    Buy a bag of epsom salt and make your own.0 thru 9

Interesting. They always give magnesium to people who are having asthma attacks because it relaxes muscles in the lungs.
  • Michael
    People aren't mad about the racist uncle at the table as much as they're mad about no alcohol being served.Hanover

Because being sober around one's mother in law is worse than a drunk racist uncle. It's all about priorities.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions