• Noble Dust

"if you want to join, send an email to x"Jamal

Just wondering where this bit happens.
  • Jamal
    I think I explained everything in my reply to Clarky Cat.
  • Jamal
    Actually no, it was in my reply to you.
  • Jamal
    They have to be invited. To ask for an invitation they'll have to find us on Facebook and ask there. Probably some people have been sending emails to request an invitation, but as I say I'm not getting those.

Once that's fixed and we pin a message about it on the main page, it'll be pretty good I think. I mean, once that's all in place, maybe we don't need to open things up again.
    Jamal

What have I missed?
  • Noble Dust
    What have I missed?Jamal

It's probably me, don't sweat it.

To ask for an invitation they'll have to find us on Facebook and ask there.Jamal

I guess philosophy folks are probably on facebook, but no one else is, so this is kind of funny. But whatever.

Probably some people have been sending emails to request an invitation, but as I say I'm not getting those.Jamal

Also doesn't strengthen my trust in this system.

Whatev's brah.
  • Jamal
    In summary, we'll pin a message to the main page saying "if you want to join, send an email to ".

The problem right now is that all emails to that address are getting lost. I need to fix that.

Also doesn't strengthen my trust in this system.Noble Dust

I don't get paid for doing DNS setup for TPF, and the email setup in particular is not critical for ongoing operation (though it's important, I know), and I'm fairly busy, and it's a hassle. Shoot me!

EDIT: email now fixed so people won't have to go to facebook to ask for an invitation.
  • Noble Dust
    I don't get paid for doing DNS setup for TPF, and it's not critical for ongoing operation (though it's important, I know), and I'm fairly busy, and it's a hassle. Shoot me!Jamal

Keep on keeping on, you're doing good work. :up:
  • Jamal
    BTW I didn't set up the Facebook page and I don't maintain it or view it. @ArguingWAristotleTiff does that I think.
  • Jamal
    Seriously, why does everyone in my life complain that I'm not doing enough? Why is it always me that has to sort everything out?

The burden of greatness.
  • Jamal
    In summary, we'll pin a message to the main page saying "if you want to join, send an email to ".

The problem right now is that all emails to that address are getting lost. I need to fix that.
    Jamal

@T Clark @Noble Dust

UPDATE

Fixed it: our email inbox is now working. Thanks for forcing me to do it ND.

The problem was the nameservers and DNS for TPF have been spread between various locations at different times, including CloudFlare and 123-reg, and the email was going through Webfaction, which is now defunct. I had to bite the bullet and try and recall what was pointing where. As it happens I just had to add a few MX records to CloudFlare and set up forwarding to my everyday email address.

I'll add a message to the main page so that wannabe members know how to join.
  • Jamal
    This seems to be a pattern with me: (1) someone reminds me of something I have to do, (2) I get pissed off about being reminded, which might stem from a general dissatisfaction with myself, (3) I do it and everything is ok.
  • Amity
    BTW I didn't set up the Facebook page and I don't maintain it or view it. ArguingWAristotleTiff does that I think.Jamal

This sounds strange.

I don't do Facebook, so I have no idea what the page looks like or what it says.
    If it hasn't been set up by you, and you have nothing to do with it, then is there a disclaimer to that effect? If not, why not?

If it uses the same 'The Philosophy Forum' title and appearance, then is that not of concern?
    Even if you agreed to this when it first started, I think it is confusing.
    Why was it set up anyway?
    To draw people here? Or to have an alternative site?

I note TPF has a copyright 2022.
    How does this apply to the Facebook page?

I hope Facebook doesn't draw people away...to the detriment of the real TPF.
    How many TPF posters go there regularly?

Just curious :chin:

To you and team:
    Keep up the good work, y'all :hearts:
  • Jamal
    @ArguingWAristotleTiff asked me if she could set it up, if I recall correctly. As she had a history of loyal involvement with PF, I said yes. There’s no problem with it that I can see.
  • Amity

If you don't see a problem with that, then everything is fine.
    But that was then, this is now.
    *shrugs*
    None of my business.

Hope both places stay well :sparkle:
  • Varde
    Jamal's speech really hit me *slowly claps*
  • Jamal
    Which one? Was it the bit about nameservers and DNS that you found particularly moving?
  • Varde
    Initially, the second post - understood as only it's peer and not saliently - touched me in such a way I almost moved - but I maintained a certain aptitude and managed to check and keep in sequent with mine.

From the great does the mother get its name, from the small doth the father, nameless beginning to unwind. So greatness is a burden, but it's greatness is not it's whole, it's carried by the soul where it bestowed.

Seriously, why does everyone in my life complain that I'm not doing enough? Why is it always me that has to sort everything out?

The burden of greatness.
    — Jamal

And by the way Jamal, that's this post.
  • unenlightened

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
    Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
    Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
    Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
    Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
    Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
    Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.

W H Auden
  • Bitter Crank
    Seriously, why does everyone in my life complain that I'm not doing enough? Why is it always me that has to sort everything out?Jamal

Indeed! Why haven't you fixed Putin's invasive tendencies already? You've had several years to get that done, and still no progress.
  • Jamal
    I am but a lonely Scotsman in Moscow, adrift on the seas of fate.
  • T Clark
    Clarky CatJamal

Ahem...
  • Jamal
    I'd use it as my username if I were you, in honour of the great Brass Eye, in which Chris Morris invented a fictitious drug called "Clarky Cat". It always comes to mind when I see your name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Eye
  • Noble Dust

:up:

I'd use it as my username if I were youJamal

You have my blessing.
  • T Clark
    I'd use it as my username if I were you, in honour of the great Brass Eye, in which Chris Morris invented a fictitious drug called "Clarky Cat". It always comes to mind when I see your name.Jamal

You have my blessing.Noble Dust

It's fine. I just thought you'd enjoy it more if I whined a little.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    BTW I didn't set up the Facebook page and I don't maintain it or view it. ArguingWAristotleTiff does that I think.Jamal

You are absolutely correct in that I asked to take over the Facebook page that was created during our transition from our old sandbox. I don't remember who set it up, it may have been me or Mayor of Simpleton as we were trying to give everyone the chance to get here if they wanted.

I am sorry for my lacking on the Facebook invitations. I ask for the grace of understanding that it took me weeks to tell you about my Dad's journey and I have been unable to open Facebook because I have not been able to share on my personal Facebook, what happened and what I am still embroiled in fielding a divorce unfolding.

I will log onto Facebook tomorrow and grab any messages from it and communicate with them if they are interested in joining.

Tiff
  • Jamal
    Don't worry about it, our email address is working now and there's a pinned message on the main page. I mentioned Facebook only because when the email wasn't working, that was probably the only way people could get in touch.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.
  • Hanover
    So here's the problem. My brother sent me a picture of what appears to be a Jesus figure with multiple facial abnormalities, large open wounds, and some serious dental issues.

For the love of God, should I post it?
  • L'éléphant
    I don't do Facebook, so I have no idea what the page looks like or what it says.
    If it hasn't been set up by you, and you have nothing to do with it, then is there a disclaimer to that effect? If not, why not?

If it uses the same 'The Philosophy Forum' title and appearance, then is that not of concern?
    Amity
    I don't do facebook either. Jamal should not have allowed it, in my opinion.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions