• Tobias
    Called that because they stuff cod in their pants to pretend to have a bigger package. No thanks.Benkei

You mean to say people have stopped doing that? :yikes:
  • unenlightened
    The Department of Undue Diligence has determined that the only people who use "woke" as a term of abuse are minute men, Southerners who, lacking the cod of their Northern counterparts, had to resort to sardines. It is a testament to the fecundity and patience of the Southern Belles that these minuscule men have not become extinct.
  • Benkei
    Yes Tobias, everybody else stopped doing that. We use socks nowadays.
  • Benkei
    Vikings used the rotting carcases of sharks. An acquired taste indeed.
  • unenlightened
    If they'd used fresh ones, I bet they'd have been wide-awake too! The Celts always used a live ferret - guaranteed to excite the ladies, but the practice was banned by Ethelred the Unready as giving them an unfair advantage.
  • praxis
    Sea cucumbers are the only sea life that could adequately stand in for my man flesh. They are echinoderms from the class Holothuroidea. They have leathery skin, an elongated body, are very independently willed, and are remarkably rewarding to pet.
  • Shawn
    I'm back if only for 10 minutes. Miss y'all.
  • Noble Dust

What's up, how are things?
  • Benkei
    this should work too:

xsq63mlgu1tz5qd5.jpg
  • praxis

:lol: That must be the karmic fate of those who are too much of a dick in life, to be reborn as a penis fish.
  • jorndoe
    Thought it was like a POE at first... Still haven't figured it out...

https://twitter.com/KatTheHammer2/status/1551531526155915272
  • javi2541997
    Good morning friends. It is 07:55 AM. Exactly, this new post would make the number of 1.666 posts.
    Do you believe in demons and related stuff?
    666 is connected with the number of the beast!
    In most manuscripts of the New Testament and in English translations of the Bible, the number of the beast is six hundred sixty-six or χξϛ (in Greek numerals, χ represents 600, ξ represents 60 and ϛ represents 6).
    The_number_of_the_beast_is_666_Philadelphia%2C_Rosenbach_Museum_and_Library.jpg
  • javi2541997
    In a quick read in Wikipedia it says the following about 666 interpretation:

The beast's identity and the beast's number are usually interpreted by applying one of three methods:

Using gematria to find the numbers that equate to the names of world leaders, to check for a match with the scriptural number.
    Treating the number of the beast as a duration of time.
    Linking the scriptural imagery and symbolism of the Antichrist with characteristics of world leaders who oppose Christianity.

Jeez... :scream:
  • Xtrix
    Curious: what, from experience, are some of your favorite trees (that you’ve planted— in your yard or elsewhere)?

I’m looking to plant three trees within the year. I live in New Hampshire. Want to jazz things up a little. Leaning towards a Japanese cherry blossom. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • T Clark

I love dogwoods. Great flowers and nice looking tree.

Lindens, also called lime trees. No flowers, but their leaves are dark green and the heads are very full and lush. To me, they're about the treeist tree around.
  • Xtrix
    dogwoodsT Clark
    LindensT Clark

Awesome suggestions — looked up both and you’re right: beautiful trees. Easy to plant and maintain?
  • javi2541997
    favorite trees (that you’ve planted— in your yard or elsewhere)?Xtrix

I love cedars. A beautiful green colour flourish when they grow up
  • Jamal
    Lindens, also called lime trees. No flowers, but their leaves are dark green and the heads are very full and lush. To me, they're about the treeist tree around.T Clark

Great trees, linden trees. They're good to sit under on hot summer days.
  • Jamal
    +1 for cedars
  • Xtrix
    cedarsjavi2541997

Great trees. We have so many pine trees in NH, I personally feel like they’re too similar
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I apologize with all my heart for my absence, please know that I am deeply sorry.

I have no valid explanation other than I have had nothing positive to say about anything in life.
    It is not fair, I know, I humbly ask for your grace.

I was the one that Dad called the police on because the verbal abuse Mom was enduring could not continue. Dad and I had our last stand and when the firefighters took him to Hospice giving Mom and I respit for 5 days, I knew he would never be back in his home, my parents home. It continued until the end. Such a horrible way to pass...facing death on Haladol is no way to cease living.

I was the one who went with Mom to pick up Dad's ashes and when we got home we brought Dad inside and she showed me where she wanted Dad's ashes, I had to climb a ladder with Dad. Cleaning off the top of the cabinet that gets dusted once a year, I realized that I was in the same physical place I had been in, where Dad made his last stand in life against me. Now I am putting him in a box of ashes on top of the cabinet, in the very place he last was, because of me.

Mom said that what happened allowed her to be his wife and no longer his caretaker/nurse. Dad never left Hospice. I fed him his last meal of his life the day he died. Macaroni and cheese, Diet Coke and ice cream for dessert.

I'm walking in a fog and not sure how to make it play out faster.

All of this while I am still in the divorce process, living STILL here at the ranch and am being deposed on Tuesday.

I know life issues fair but I need to catch a break....

Hence why I am not around because I can't burden others with this
  • universeness

The fact you can type out some of your thoughts and feelings here makes you a strong person in my view.
    I hope things get better for you soon and all your friends rally around you.
  • Noble Dust

I haven’t planted any trees in the concrete “backyard” behind my apartment building that I can access by hunching over and walking through a dirt floor basement filled with old office chairs, but if I did I would plant beech trees.
  • javi2541997
    Hence why I am not around because I can't burden others with thisArguingWAristotleTiff

Don't worry. Please feel free to express your feelings here. I will read your comments and thoughts.
    To be honest, I don't know how to help but only to listen carefully what you want to express. All you have written previously is very brave and I see it as a good choice instead of isolating yourself (this is usually worse).

I am sorry for the loss of your dad. I know it is not easy to deal with parents and other members of family. The situation can end up very chaotic if there are some differences among the members.
    I understand your phrase: "it continued to the end" because my grandfather (an alcoholic) continued his bad actions until his end...
  • T Clark
    Easy to plant and maintain?Xtrix

I think dogwoods are pretty easy. My wife planted one in our yard and it's grown well for decades with little maintenance required. I don't know anything about lindens, but they are a pretty common landscape tree here in Massachusetts.
  • T Clark
    Here's my linden tree philosophy of science story. In a funny way it's changed the way I think about the world and the way we know it. It's one of the reasons I like lindens so much.

If you go under most trees when the sun's out, you'll see dapples where the sunlight comes through the leaves - circular or oblong fuzzy patches of light. Under a linden, because their heads are so tightly packed, there are fewer dapples, but they are better defined. On a day when a total solar eclipse was predicted, I went out into the area outside my office building to take a look with protective lenses. When the sun was about half covered, I walked under the shade of a linden. When I looked down, each of it's dapples, dozens, was a circular patch of light half covered by darkness. I'm not sure if I've ever been more surprised. It struck me like a gong. Dapples under trees are not little patches of light. They are, all of them, little images of the sun. I think about this every time I go under a tree when the suns out. It still amazes me.
  • Tom Storm
    I’m looking to plant three trees within the year. I live in New Hampshire. Want to jazz things up a little.Xtrix

I'm considering this where I am too. Generally I go for evergreens and Australian natives - given my location. But I am very partial to Japanese Maples.
  • Bitter Crank
    You might try a North American Hornbeam - a hardwood related to birch. It's often used in landscaping, they say. The church across the street planted 2 disease-resistant elm trees 10 years ago which are doing well. Elm are great shade trees. I'd avoid bass -- I have one and its a very messy, though an attractive, tree. Silver maple (or Norway maple) grow rapidly and will mature in what... 40 to 60 years? They are kind of brittle when they get very big (which they will). Sugar maple, of course. Want a nut tree? Oak, walnut, beech, chestnut, butternut...

Ash trees are out of course, thanks to the emerald ash borer.

Honey locusts are a pretty good tree -- they have very small leaves that turn yellow in the fall. There are a lot of them along Minneapois streets. Avoid Black locust trees. They have horrendous 2 inch thorns. They would make a very good defensive hedge. They are considered invasive (even though they are a Native American tree. They will take over prairie and turn it into forest. Black locusts are prohibited in Massachusetts and Wisconsin, which gives you a clue.

There are a couple of cherry trees you might consider for their decorative quality -- the Amor Cherry and Siberian Cherry. The Amor is a fairly small tree with shiny brass colored bark. The Siberian is a larger tree (at least it was at the arboretum) and has shiny copper colored bark -- beautiful.

These are show trees; probably not very wind resistant. The Amor tree we planted split.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions