• Michael

Well if you insist.
  • ZzzoneiroCosm
    Good to know a self-ban is an option. :smile: But first just give me one more fix.
  • ZzzoneiroCosm
    Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you. — William Blake
  • john27
    You know, I've just come to the realization that gratitude is incredibly powerful. It's like:

"Wahh, I got a 60 on my chemistry after studying for 3 day's straight."
    Looks outside.
    "Oh, What a nice day to go biking!"

A complete game changer if I'm being honest.
  • Tom Storm
    Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you — William Blake

I think Blake may have got that wrong. Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will vote you President.
  • Agent Smith
    Prose & Verse (history of their development)

1. Rhyme & Reason (The Ancient Ones).
    2. Then the split: Rhyme and Reason part ways (intellectual laziness).
    3. No Rhyme or Reason (the present state of affairs).
  • ZzzoneiroCosm
    :smile:

Probably depends on which mind is being spoken.
  • javi2541997
    :fire: :sparkle: never forget Chinese Analects.

The Master said, "At fifteen I set my purpose on learning.
    At thirty, I was established. At forty, I had no doubts.
    At fifty, I knew the Mandate of Heaven.
    At sixty, my ear was obedient.
    At seventy, I could follow what my heart desired,
    and not transgress the norm."
    - Confucius, Analects II:4.
  • Tom Storm

“Know then thyself, presume not God to scan,
    The proper study of mankind is Man.
    Placed on this isthmus of a middle state,
    A being darkly wise and rudely great:
    With too much knowledge for the Sceptic side,
    With too much weakness for the Stoic's pride,
    He hangs between, in doubt to act or rest;
    In doubt to deem himself a God or Beast;
    In doubt his mind or body to prefer;
    Born but to die, and reas'ning but to err;
    Alike in ignorance, his reason such,
    Whether he thinks too little or too much;
    Chaos of thought and passion, all confused;
    Still by himself abused or disabused;
    Created half to rise, and half to fall;
    Great lord of all things, yet a prey to all;
    Sole judge of truth, in endless error hurl'd;
    The glory, jest, and riddle of the world!
    Go, wondrous creature! mount where science guides,
    Go, measure earth, weigh air, and state the tides;
    Instruct the planets in what orbs to run,
    Correct old time, and regulate the sun;
    Go, soar with Plato to th’ empyreal sphere,
    To the first good, first perfect, and first fair;
    Or tread the mazy round his followers trod,
    And quitting sense call imitating God;
    As Eastern priests in giddy circles run,
    And turn their heads to imitate the sun.
    Go, teach Eternal Wisdom how to rule—
    Then drop into thyself, and be a fool!”
    ― Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
  • Clarky

What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals. — William Shakespeare, Hamlet
  • jorndoe
    Street rumors say this is a bit sketchy:

Maybe some of the physics experts know what the deal is.
  • javra
    Man, I had this all prepared and then poof, the vanishing occurred, of a thread that is … I’m gonna post it in this irreverent-ish section for the hell of it. Curious to see if this post will itself go poof before too long (no skin off of my back if it does). Anyways, here goes (if memory serves right) @Wittgenstein:

-----

The acknowledgedly oversimplified, incomplete, and rule of thumb rough outline of an argument against sex with dead animals: :gasp:

Healthy sexuality: mutually experienced physical and mental attraction toward other with intents of either bringing about offspring with other or, for those of us not utterly materialist in our thinking, of bringing about a closeness of being - an emotive bond, however transient - between those who are so sexually attracted and of a mature enough age to consent in informed manners (e.g., neither anal nor oral sex have anything to do with bringing about offspring, to keep things on the physical side). (Also, this applies to LGTBQs in terms of the second intent addressed - such that it occurs with the intent of bringing about offspring being absent rather than perverted … as is routinely the case in heterosexual sex as well.)

Masturbation regarding healthy sexuality: a semi-healthy sexuality in that it does not serve to actualize either of the intents of the aforementioned but keeps one going by satisfying these intents via fantasy, this without perverting the intents in question

Rape: a perversion of the intent for closeness … to not start mentioning the harm caused

Bestiality: a perversion of either intent involved in healthy sexuality

Necrophilic bestiality: a massive amplification of the perversion of either intent involved in healthy sexuality

Oh, and perversions of health is bad.

… this argument being a work in progress. This for those who don’t know why sex with dead animals is bad.
  • javi2541997
    My TV just showed an ad from my university about facing real problems (Ukrainian flags flowing around) and I have cringed so hard man... :worry:
  • Wittgenstein

Healthy sexuality: mutually experienced physical and mental attraction toward other with intents of either bringing about offspring with other or, for those of us not utterly materialist in our thinking, of bringing about a closeness of being - an emotive bond, however transient - between those who are so sexually attracted and of a mature enough age to consent in informed manners (e.g., neither anal nor oral sex have anything to do with bringing about offspring, to keep things on the physical side). (Also, this applies to LGTBQs in terms of the second intent addressed - such that it occurs with the intent of bringing about offspring being absent rather than perverted … as is routinely the case in heterosexual sex as well.)

Masturbation regarding healthy sexuality: a semi-healthy sexuality in that it does not serve to actualize either of the intents of the aforementioned but keeps one going by satisfying these intents via fantasy, this without perverting the intents in question

Rape: a perversion of the intent for closeness … to not start mentioning the harm caused

Bestiality: a perversion of either intent involved in healthy sexuality

Necrophilic bestiality: a massive amplification of the perversion of either intent involved in healthy sexuality

Oh, and perversions of health is bad.

… this argument being a work in progress. This for those who don’t know why sex with dead animals is bad.

I know you have not fully formulated your viewpoint but l don't see why closeness of being - intimate bond should serve as a moral criterion since you are perfectly fine with a purely mechanistic sex done for the sake of reproduction. On the other hand, If you say , atleast one of the two criterion should be present to separate morally approved sexual behavior from reprehensible sexual behavior. This implies emotionally cold sex with protection is immoral but l am sure you don't hold this position. Furthermore, why are the 2 characteristics neccessary in sex, it's surely not a logical necessity and l don't see any apparent moral necessity , if it even exists in the first place

You replaced perversion with immorality in meaning but it doesn't explain show why perversion is being equated with immorality. Perversion is a diversion from the ordinary and is in of itself free from any moral value.

I think you can clarify on "intent" , perhaps you can bring the concept of consent to the topic to make it more interesting
  • javra

You’re kind’a putting words into my mouth that I’ve never stated. For instance, didn’t use concepts of moral/immoral but of health (commonly interpreted as good) and perversion of health (hence deviation from, thus a lack of, health, and of this being bad). Although, sure, actively seeking that which is bad might on many an occasion be deemed immoral. Emotionally cold sex as healthy or good – or, sure, even moral - hmm … I suppose like a purported attraction to beauty without feeling anything aesthetic in what one witnesses being deemed healthy and good. Only that here is concerned another human being (that one treats as a piece of meat?). Not what women tend to desire, in my experiences. For that matter, nor do I. That aside, as I’ve said, what I’ve presented is a work in progress; one that preliminarily works for me just fine. Impressed that most of it didn't make any sense to you. As to why human connection is healthy or as to the clarification of “intent”, I’ll get back to these as soon as I can figure out a logically substantiated clarification for what “is” is, kind of thing.
  • frank
    "The staff of The Times won the 2022 Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting for revealing the hidden casualties in thousands of American military airstrikes. Successive administrations had sold a nation weary of “forever wars” on replacing boots on the ground with “the most precise air campaign in history.” The Times revealed its legacy: missed targets, disproportionate destruction and civilian deaths."

NYT
  • jorndoe
    Zhurong findings suggest there may have been regular water on Mars 700m years ago rather than 3b.
    If so, then it's a marked adjustment to current estimates.

Zhurong reveals recent aqueous activities in Utopia Planitia, Mars (May 11. 2022)
  • Clarky
    I was mowing the grass today and thought of this.

edbczjxfb1rw5ql7.jpg

I went to turn the grass once after one
    Who mowed it in the dew before the sun.

The dew was gone that made his blade so keen
    Before I came to view the levelled scene.

I looked for him behind an isle of trees;
    I listened for his whetstone on the breeze.

But he had gone his way, the grass all mown,
    And I must be, as he had been,—alone,

‘As all must be,’ I said within my heart,
    ‘Whether they work together or apart.’

But as I said it, swift there passed me by
    On noiseless wing a ‘wildered butterfly,

Seeking with memories grown dim o’er night
    Some resting flower of yesterday’s delight.

And once I marked his flight go round and round,
    As where some flower lay withering on the ground.

And then he flew as far as eye could see,
    And then on tremulous wing came back to me.

I thought of questions that have no reply,
    And would have turned to toss the grass to dry;

But he turned first, and led my eye to look
    At a tall tuft of flowers beside a brook,

A leaping tongue of bloom the scythe had spared
    Beside a reedy brook the scythe had bared.

I left my place to know them by their name,
    Finding them butterfly weed when I came.

The mower in the dew had loved them thus,
    By leaving them to flourish, not for us,

Nor yet to draw one thought of ours to him.
    But from sheer morning gladness at the brim.

The butterfly and I had lit upon,
    Nevertheless, a message from the dawn,

That made me hear the wakening birds around,
    And hear his long scythe whispering to the ground,

And feel a spirit kindred to my own;
    So that henceforth I worked no more alone;

But glad with him, I worked as with his aid,
    And weary, sought at noon with him the shade;

And dreaming, as it were, held brotherly speech
    With one whose thought I had not hoped to reach.

‘Men work together,’ I told him from the heart,
    ‘Whether they work together or apart.’
    Robert Frost - The Tuft of Flowers
  • Changeling
    Has anyone here ever considered that the worst day of your life could be the best day of someone else's?
  • Changeling
    I was mowing the grass today and thought of this.T Clark

Sounds more like you were smoking the grass.
  • Hanover
    Graduation.9f4zupjintuzof7w.jpg
  • jorndoe
    Stupid, ungrateful, and aggressive about it :D
    Maybe it just goes to show how easy it is to manipulate some people with us-versus-them aggression?

(verified)
  • Streetlight
    Man I can't wait till all the quacks here who worried themselves into a tizzy over CRT start discussing the dangers of GRT which just got ten black people gunned down in cold blood but probably not because it's not as fun as relaying racist culture war memes that don't actually track real life danger.
  • Clarky
    There are four threads on the front page right now about rational arguments for God. They overlap. People say the same things on each of them. Most of them are ping pong games - back and forth with no significant content.
  • unenlightened
    I am finding the place is becoming unpleasant to read, and I don't even like my own posts very much.
    Personally, I don't mind if there are threads that don't interest me for whatever reason, and I can even tolerate low quality posts. But the flaming is so ubiquitous and inescapable and it makes me feel bad. I think I might take a break 'til my next incarnation.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions