Clarky wants to change
    His name to Poison Goat Boy
    Why? No one is sure.
  • Clarky

Dusty Dusty Dus
    Ty Dusty Dusty Dusty
    Dusty Dusty Dus
  • Hanover
    This man, he filled my television with lizards, and I'm not sure what to do.
    Attachment
    trim.5FC3C7D8-F7F6-4FE9-8784-AF7C3448B6FB (2M)
  • Bitter Crank
    Someone please explain
    To this ignorant person
    What a haiku is
    T Clark

The Haiku, stolen
    from the Japanese culture
    is an unrhymed poem

in 17 syllables, with 5, 7, and 5 syllables in the three lines, per above.

it (might, probably, almost certainly, definitely, has to) make more sense in Japanese than in English.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    it (might, probably, almost certainly, definitely, has to) make more sense in Japanese than in English.Bitter Crank

The western tradition is the four line quatrain. It's more conducive to rhyming.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Rhyming is an ancient memory aid. It's still very useful for rock and rollers who use a lot of drugs and need to remember the lyrics of the the songs they perform.
  • Clarky

Do not weep Dusty
    Just a verse to celebrate
    Your happy new name
  • Bitter Crank
    for those philosophers who sensibly don't hang around concert hals waiting for Lutheran choirs to sing it properly, here's the St Olaf Choir directed by the composer doing "Keep your Lamps..."

• unenlightened
    Facebook just dropped the Lathe of Heaven into my brain-feed. I didn't know there was a film of it, but it's such a freaky book. Haven't watched it all yet, but it seems quite faithful to the original so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8VRbaVNvSA
  • Agent Smith
    But but but... half-baked ideas are all I have.Bitter Crank

Something's better than nothing!

What's the opposite saying?

Do things well or not at all?
  • Agent Smith
    unrhymed poemBitter Crank

Are these also called blank verse?

Fun fact: In ancient times it was customary to write on topics such as logic & math in poem form.
  • frank
    There once were a bunch of lame posters
    Whose heads were all shaped like toasters
    And it's not a sin
    To stick some bread in
    And wait while you're sipping your roasters
  • Noble Dust

Many posters do take raw ideas and burn them to a crisp.
  • Hanover
    My favorite poetic form is the tanka, described as:

"A Japanese poem consisting of five lines, the first and third of which have five syllables and the other seven, making 31 syllables in all and giving a complete picture of an event or mood."

Ideally for me, it will be written in Occitan (the tongue of the dirty French peasantry) preferably in a san serif font so as to not be ostentatious and to stay true to the dirty language it is written in.

Allow me to offer my finest piece to you, written while I was in seminary in a dirty monosatry dressed in a burlap robe (totally free balling commando), now translated to the modern tongue of the Anglo ruling class in whatever limited font this forum has made available:

"Fuckety fuck fuck
    I saw @Baden again goat fuck
    In out and about
    How he loved that goat's fine snout
    He ate oatmeal for breakfast."

Something might have been lost in translation, but I do think this work has adequately left one with "a complete picture of an event or mood" as the ancient Japanese preferred.
  • Clarky
    Facebook just dropped the Lathe of Heaven into my brain-feed. I didn't know there was a film of it, but it's such a freaky book. Haven't watched it all yet, but it seems quite faithful to the original so far.unenlightened

The movie's pretty good. I liked the book too. And I love the title.
  • javi2541997
    I have received an email from a haiku championship this afternoon. I didn't win the contest and I do not even appear on the list of the participants who did it, at least, so acceptable.
    So @Hanover was right and I suck doing haiku poems.
    But who cares, Yukio Mishima didn't care about haiku neither.
    I guess writing essays and novels is what I should try to.
  • Hanover
    So Hanover was right and I suck doing haiku poems.
    But who cares, Yukio Mishima didn't care about haiku neither.
    I guess writing essays and novels is what I should try to.
    javi2541997

Your resignation strikes a devastating blow to the haiku community.

@T Clark may be right about the dick comment after all.
  • Baden

I've read only a few Haikus in my life I thought were really good. One of them is:

Even in Kyoto
    Hearing the cuckoo's cry
    I long for Kyoto

Source: https://quotepark.com/quotes/1512951-basho-matsuo-even-in-kyotohearing-the-cuckoos-cryi-long-for/

Absolutely love that.
  • Baden
    Now someone's going to tell me there's the wrong number of syllables. :lol:
  • Paine

Six, Six, Six.
    Orderly for sure.
    I like the 5-7-5 but recognize it is arbitrary compared to a standard developed in another language.

Maybe all future posts at TPF should be made in couplets combined with haikus.
  • ZzzoneiroCosm

Nice haiku.

I wrote this one in the car in my 20s, 20 years ago, and it still comes back to me.

come on across the
    road little sparrow, I'll al-
    ways slow down for you
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Dad's decided to not upgrade his pacemaker and the batteries on the one he has inside him are dying. All my prayers were denied in him making the choice to upgrade but I have to stand strong to respect his wishes and to be support for Mom.
    Both my parents want to die at home and we have brought on Hospice at home. Family is coming out to say goodbye over the next three weeks, while my divorce goes to it's FIRST time before anyone, which will be a mediator while Cosmic Wanker is fully aware that everyday we have not sold the ranch is costing us. He is hoping it tanks so he can buy me out.
    I'm so done. Cosmic Wanker is the victim in all this you know... :vomit:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    The wisdom to know the difference....
    Got it :up:
  • Clarky
    Still a bunch of crap discussions on the forum. Hey, @Baden, can't you just ban someone so we'll have something to talk about. I'll PM you some suggestions.
  • ZzzoneiroCosm
    Couldn't you just start a thread on a subject that interests you? It's not a zero-sum game.
  • Clarky
    Couldn't you just start a thread on a subject that interests you? It's not a zero-sum game.ZzzoneiroCosm

I like to complain. People on the forum think it's charming.
  • ZzzoneiroCosm
    People on the forum think it's charming.T Clark

I must not be a person, then.

Just playing. :smile:
  • Clarky
    I must not be a person then.ZzzoneiroCosm

[joke] Perhaps I'll just include you in my PM to Baden.[/joke]
  • ZzzoneiroCosm
    Yeah, please ban me. I'd get a lot more done. :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions