• Maw
    :up: :100: :fire: :cheer: :pray:
  • Baden

Message sent. If he's still at that address and responds will let you know by PM. :up:
  • Baden

Don't know, Posty. He is also missed though.
  • Maw
    Excellent
  • Maw
    I'm drunk ask me anything
  • Buxtebuddha
    Why'd you stop responding to me about gun legislation like 3 weeks ago?
  • Maw
    Because you victim-blamed gun violence by placing the fault on school shootings on bulling, despite the fact that reports show that boys aged 11-15 in developed countries such as Canada, Switzerland, France, and Ireland have reported being bullied more often than boys in America, despite the disparity in school shootings. Your response was that "reports don't always reflect reality". I didn't respect you enough to continue responding then, and I don't respect you anymore now.

Next question.
  • Buxtebuddha
    I addressed the rest of your criticisms, though. But, I've noticed you don't carry on arguments very long, so I suppose it's normal for you to bow out early, *shrug*
  • Maw
    Good questions will be appreciated
  • Posty McPostface

What is your background, or how is philosophy related or has impacted your life, world view, beliefs?
  • Maw
    Prior to studying philosophy, which started when I was around 19, I was admittedly more politically conservative, mostly stemming from absorbing the ideals of my quasi-upper class family. Since then, I've become much more progressive, being interested in Left Libertarianism, some Marxism, racial awareness, and other far left ideas. I had been an Atheist since I was 14, which has only strengthened since. Ultimately, philosophy has made me a more curious person, and I've accepted more nihilistic or pessimistic propositions.
  • Posty McPostface
    Prior to studying philosophy, which started when I was around 19, I was admittedly more politically conservative, mostly stemming from absorbing the ideals of my quasi-upper class family.Maw

So, you have formal training in philosophy? Cool.

Since then, I've become much more progressive, being interested in Left Libertarianism, some Marxism, racial awareness, and other far left ideas.Maw

Sounds interesting. I guess your motivations for studying philosophy have been politically motivated. I'm not part of that camp of philosophy, since I have always assumed philosophy as a form of 'deprogramming' yourself from deep prejudices, assumptions, and beliefs.

I had been an Atheist since I was 14, which has only strengthened since.Maw

Why is that if you don't mind me asking?

Ultimately, philosophy has made me a more curious person, and I've accepted more nihilistic or pessimistic propositions.Maw

Strange, I have differing opinions about the goal of philosophy; but, that's interesting.
  • Maw
    So, you have formal training in philosophy?Posty McPostface

No, autodidactically

I guess your motivations for studying philosophy have been politically motivated.Posty McPostface

More ethically motivated than politically, but the latter is informed by the former.

Why is that if you don't mind me asking?Posty McPostface

Deeper engagement with theology and the irrationality of theological arguments for God

Strange, I have differing opinions about the goal of philosophyPosty McPostface

The goal of Philosophy, to my mind, boiling things down so that all that remains is "the truth". As I see it, the truth is relentlessly anti-human (i.e. absurdism, hostile, cruel, anti-anthropocentric).
  • Maw
    btw fun non philosophy questions are more than welcomed too
  • Baden
    Interesting dissection of the argumentative strategy of alt-right "intellectual" and purveyor of pseudo-scientific racism, Stefan Molyneaux. Interesting because it's so easily generalizable across this burgeoning class of online fakes.

• Agustino
    No, autodidacticallyMaw
    Genius :wink:
  • StreetlightX
    When environment alters genetics!:

"About 5,000 to 7,000 years ago the number of men having children fell dramatically—possibly by as much as 95 percent—throughout Asia, Africa and Europe, genetic research shows. Now, scientists think they might know why. .. A new study argues that conflict between warring patrilineal clans may have wiped out large swathes of the male population, including entire male lineages. Over time, these devastating clan wars likely caused a collapse of diversity in the Y chromosome, or a genetic bottleneck".

https://www.history.com/news/ancient-clan-wars-male-chromosome-collapse
  • Maw
    What's most interesting about Molyneux (in fact, the only interesting thing) is that he is in many ways the progenitor of the alt-right pseudo-intellectualism that's gripped the internet. His FDR podcast has been around since 2005, and I remember him being popular on YouTube as far back as 2009.
  • Maw
    Which country should I root for in the World Cup now that the USA's not in it?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.