• jamalrob
    a burr grinder is the best type of grinderNoble Dust

I've seen a lot of people say that but it looks like it's just about the evenness of the grind. Me, I don't really mind if some of the coffee is too fine and some too coarse, so I've got a cheaper one.

Aeropress coffee is quite smooth, while coffee made in a normal drip machine is way more bitter.Noble Dust

I just use a French press and I always add some milk so it doesn't matter if it's bitter. The milk sweetens it. No doubt you think I'm a barbarian.

By the way, is there some unwritten rule of the short story competition that prevents us from responding to feeback before the names are all up?
  • Noble Dust
    I've seen a lot of people say that but it looks like it's just about the evenness of the grind. Me, I don't really mind if some of the coffee is too fine and some too coarse, so I've got a cheaper one.jamalrob

All I know is I noticed a difference in the taste when I upgraded. Again, I'm sounding like the coffee hipster I claimed to not be.

I just use a French press and I always add some milk so it doesn't matter if it's bitter. The milk sweetens it. No doubt you think I'm a barbarian.jamalrob

Not at all. I had a French press once. Then I broke it. I love the unique taste. It's just not something I can drink every day. The oily mouthfeel and all. Oh, barbarian because of the milk? Nah whatever.

By the way, is there some unwritten rule of the short story competition that prevents us from responding to feeback before the names are all up?jamalrob

There's not an unwritten rule, but there is an unwritten rule. :lol: On the other hand, you own this website, and you won the fucking contest, so who gives a shit? (conspiracy theory forthcoming).
  • jamalrob
    All I know is I noticed a difference in the taste when I upgraded. Again, I'm sounding like the coffee hipster I claimed to not be.Noble Dust

Yes, you are :grin:

On the other hand, you can't argue with an improvement in taste. But my coffee tastes great enough so I'm not gonna add any more complexity to my life or buy more shit.

On the other hand, you own this website, and you won the fucking contest, so who gives a shit?Noble Dust

True. I guess I feel like a timid outsider cos I didn't take part in the first contest.
  • jamalrob
    Coffee hipsterism reminds me of vape hipsterism. The vape shop guys are like the record shop owners of my youth. Unfriendly judgmental assholes. All I want is inhaleable nicotine without the smoke, ok? I don't care about anything else.
  • Noble Dust
    Yes, you are :grin:

On the other hand, you can't argue with an improvement in taste. But my coffee tastes great enough so I'm not gonna add any more complexity to my life or buy more shit.
    jamalrob

I just need to stop lying to myself; I spent the $20 on the drip machine but I secretly hate it. I just need to cough up the $30 on a brand new Aeropress. And then acknowledge that I'm a full-blown Brooklyn coffee snob. :vomit:
  • Noble Dust

The weird thing is that the only reason I bought a drip machine is that my old dad makes great coffee out of a drip machine. I just saw him for Christmas, and his coffee tastes exactly the same as it always has. It's not bitter, it's balanced, and super earthy. I'm not one to be biased towards family, or insist on some special mojo or whatever. But I literally don't know how he makes it, and how my drip coffee is so bad in comparison.
  • jamalrob
    It does sound like a special mojo tbh.
  • Amity
    Normally I like to try new things but when it comes to porridge I'll always be a dour Scotsman. Oats, milk, salt.jamalrob

Nowt dour about it ! The question is: What kind of oats and how do you prepare/cook them ?
    Different people in different parts of Scotland do it... different.
    As with dialects, so with de dish, deelish!

Oh my word, the coffee culture here is insane.Noble Dust

Again, I think it depends on where and who.
    My friend told me about this screechy, demanding American lady who brought down her jar of instant Nescafe to breakfast. In an Italian hotel which served the best coffee !

Well, at least she had a passport and was willing to travel abroad...
  • Noble Dust
    screechy, demanding American lady who brought down her jar of instant Nescafe to breakfast. In an Italian hotel which served the best coffee !Amity

:yikes:
  • jamalrob
    The question is: What kind of oats and how do you prepare/cook them ?Amity

I know that some are bigger and rougher and more ... meaty? ... than others. Some are too refined and dusty. Sorry, I don't know the porridge terminology :grin:

I like the rough stuff. Oats and milk in a pan on the cooker, make coffee, serve porridge, enjoy while reading TPF.
  • Bitter Crank
    If you are using the same coffee, and the same coffee machine, then the difference could be the water. Water does vary from place to place. It doesn't all have the same flavor.

One thing that might make a difference is the temperature of the water that the coffee maker supplies to the grounds. I reduced the temperature by 10ºF and the resulting coffee had a significantly different flavor--maybe better, or worse... depending on preference. Water for drip coffee should not be boiling, I have been told for years. 190º seems pretty good.

Coffee made the same way doesn't always taste the same, either. Sooo, sometimes it's me.
  • Noble Dust
    If you are using the same coffee, and the same coffee machine, then the difference could be the water. Water does vary from place to place. It doesn't all have the same flavor.Bitter Crank

You are very right. "Dirty water dogs" are a big deal here in NY. People say the NY water affects the bagels and the pizza too. I dunno if I buy it, but I'm also open minded about it. Who knows. I certainly don't.

One thing that might make a difference is the temperature of the water that the coffee maker supplies to the grounds. I reduced the temperature by 10ºF and the resulting coffee had a significantly different flavorBitter Crank

Are you my dad in disguise? I know his secret, by the way, which I didn't mention. He combines room temperature water with ice cubes.
  • Amity
    I like the rough stuff. Oats and milk in a pan on the cooker, make coffee, serve porridge, enjoy while reading TPF.jamalrob

That's no right, at a' mon !!!
    This conversation needs a special spot for the edumacation of the wurrrld.

So, the best way but not my lazy way is:
    How I experienced it up North (Scotland). Uncle soaked oats overnight. In morning, cooked them in water in a pan and stirred with wooden spurtle. Served in a bowl, keeping milk separate in a small cup in front. A spoon of porridge then dipped into the milk before travelling to the mouth.

I still do this but cheat with easy porridge. And it's Irish :yikes:
    Flahavan's Original microwavable in 2 minutes.
    2 scoops of oats, 4 scoops of cold water/milk in a deep bowl, microwave for 2 mins.
    https://www.flahavans.co.uk/product/flahavans-irish-quick-oats/

Traditional way:
    https://www.movementandnutrition.co.uk/how-to-make-porridge-recipe/

I don't do toppings :vomit:

Och aye, the noo :cool:
  • Bitter Crank

Porrige issues:

The midwest's Malt'o Meal company makes a variety of 'cream of wheat' that has malt in it. It tastes better than Cream of Wheat. Cream of wheat is food for sick people/

The best oatmeal is called "Irish Oatmeal" or "steel cut oats". It's an unprocessed, unrolled, piece of oat kernel without bran. It takes quite a while to cook--30 minutes. I cook it in a pan, then in a double boiler with milk--about 45 minutes altogether. Very good.

Millet makes a good porridge too. Rinse the dust off the millet grain. Bring to a boil (usual ratio of 1 measure of grain, 3 measures of water, salt to taste) bring to boil, then simmer till water is absorbed. Put millet in double boiler, add milk (generous) and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes. (Maybe an hour, altogether. It's a long cooking time compared to cream of wheat (1 minute), but porridge will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days, at least, so you don't have to cook it everyday.

Just don't leave it in the pot till it's 9 days old. ("Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold; some like it in the pot 9 days old." 9 day old pea porridge is probably an acquired taste. Might also give one a dose of ptomaine or botulism.
  • jamalrob
    Now you're making me feel ashamed. Hey it works for me. I don't have time for all that porridge malarkey. I'm too busy writing about it on TPF.

Och aye, the nooAmity

:brow:
  • Bitter Crank
    Sadly, they haven't starting canning oatmeal. They can cooked rice; cooked noodles; bread (B & M Brown Bread). Why not canned porridge? Cream of wheat in a squeeze tube.
  • Amity
    It takes quite a while to cook--30 minutes.Bitter Crank

You can soak overnight, I believe...making it quicker to cook in morning.
    Workers couldn't afford that time !
  • Noble Dust
    Porrige issues:Bitter Crank

I love this phrase. I think this could become a meme. BC, you could become a star.
  • Noble Dust
    I also just saw this and feel mildly offended but also very put in my place:

Cream of wheat is food for sick people/Bitter Crank
  • Amity
    I don't have time for all that porridge malarkey.jamalrob

How long does it take you ?
    I propose a Porridge Making Competition :smile:
  • jamalrob
    How long does it take you ?Amity

10 or 15 minutes. That's the last porridge question I'm answering.
  • Noble Dust

Such a celeb. :roll:
  • Amity
    but porridge will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days, at least, so you don't have to cook it everyday.

Just don't leave it in the pot till it's 9 days old. ("Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold; some like it in the pot 9 days old." 9 day old pea porridge is probably an acquired taste. Might also give one a dose of ptomaine or botulism.
    Bitter Crank

Whatever gets you going :gasp:
    I've heard some kept it in a block in their drawers and sliced bits off...
    I think that died off :death:
  • Amity

I beat you. So there. End of :razz:
  • frank
    My french press is a paintbrush holder now. It was too much work for my morning brain.
  • john27
    Normally I like to try new things but when it comes to porridge I'll always be a dour Scotsman. Oats, milk, salt.jamalrob

Wait, where's the sugar?
  • jamalrob
    The natural sweetnesses of the oats and milk are enough for me :halo:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions