• T Clark
    We do it to them as well.frank

Yes, we do. I wasn't finding fault with Russia or China. I was pointing out that hacks to computer systems don't just happen to people we don't like.
  • T Clark

Prairie Home Companion was a wonderful thing that comes from where so many good things do - one talented and prickly person with determinism and a vision.

And no, it is not ok to put ketchup, catsup, ketsup, katchup, on raw oysters. At least not without horseradish.
  • unenlightened
    hacks to computer systems don't just happen to people we don't like.T Clark

Does that mean we can't celebrate when they do?
  • T Clark
    Does that mean we can't celebrate when they do?unenlightened

Knock yourself out.
  • Michael Zwingli
    It seem like Google Translate is OK for a quick and dirty translation of individual words and very short phrases in at least common European languages. Beyond that, it doesn't seem to be very reliable.
    — Bitter Crank

DeepL is better (probably the best) for French.
    emancipate

Your'e right on, Crank. Google Translate makes a mess of even the shortest Latin phrase. It seems unable to handle the inflection of words.

Does "DeepL" translate other languages, as well? I find myself wondering how well it handles synthetic languages, especially the ancient tongues, Latin and Ancient Greek.
  • unenlightened
    Recently I’ve been working on these questions with Clelia Verde, and we realized they were trying to say is that in the Copenhagen version of quantum mechanics, there is a quantum world and there is a classical world, and a boundary between them: when things become definite. When things that are indefinite in the quantum world become definite. And what they’re trying to say is that is the fundamental thing that happens in nature, when things that are indefinite become definite. And that’s what “now” is. The moment now, the present moment, that all these people say is missing from science and missing from physics, that is the transition from indefinite to definite. And quantum mechanics, the wavefunction, is a description of the future which is indefinite and incomplete. And classical physics is how we describe the past.
    https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/are-we-approaching-quantum-gravity-all-wrong/
  • Amity
    @Shawn
    Hope you are well. If so, then please don't read this; it's upsetting:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/05/pigs-culled-amid-uk-shortage-abattoir-workers

The meat industry is one of many sectors of the UK economy grappling with labour shortages linked to Brexit and the pandemic, while a lack of delivery workers and drivers has affected supply chains...
    “I have had grown men in tears on the phone just at the thought to having to contemplate killing healthy animals. We have to avoid welfare culling on farm,” Davies said...

Trade associations representing all areas of the UK’s food chain have proposed a one-year visa that would allow workers to be recruited for jobs such as HGV drivers, butchers, chefs and other food industry workers.
    Guardian - pigs culled

:sad: :angry: :fear:

We are not in a good place right now...
    Indeed, some might say we are well and truly fucked.
    Brexit ideology. UK Rules. Hah. Now sovereign. Hah. Tories be damned to hell :rage:
  • Amity
    Oh well, now we can all rest easy...

Johnson said the government could not “magic up” changes overnight to address the problems faced by farmers due to labour shortages. Asked about the problems facing pig producers, he told the BBC:
    What you can’t do is government can’t magic up changes to their systems overnight. People need to recognise that we can’t simply continue with models which have basically held this country back and held our economy back. That’s why we’re going for a different approach.

And he told ITV that the change he wanted to see – the move from a low skill, low wage, high immigration economy to a high skill, high wage, low immigration one – was “the best thing for this country”.
    Guardian - Politics Live
  • Shawn

Just let the fucking pigs live instead of a mass culling.

EDIT: I've never seen such a strange profit motive scenario.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Shawn
    After taking care of pigs for a wet weekend I came to one solid conclusion. My Mother, in all her years on this Earth has never, EVER seen a real pig pen and been able to stay with straight face that my childhood bedroom was a pig pen.

I would like an apology from her please :pray:
  • The Opposite
    WHAT IS THIS FIXATION WITH PIGS AND BIRDS???
  • frank

cottoncandygrapes.jpg?w=1200

Cotton Candy grapes are another production of California's The Grapery. If your palate is clear, the first one does taste like cotton candy, but after that, if you keep eating them, they just taste like grapes until you clear your palate again.

They're super sweet.
  • The Opposite
    AND NOW SUPER SWEET GRAPES, TOO
  • T Clark
    AND NOW SUPER SWEET GRAPES, TOOThe Opposite

Yeah, @frank has a thing about weird grapes.
  • Outlander
    Why haven't there been any new members in over 2 weeks. Sorry, they don't like me. Nor does a virus favor it's antidote. Do what you will.
  • Michael
    We turned off registration because some twat came back 100 times after repeatedly being banned.
  • Shawn
    We turned off registration because some twat came back 100 times after repeatedly being banned.Michael

I laughed so hard at this Hollish guy.

speak-english-banned.gif
  • jorndoe
    Trust in Media and Elected Officials Near Record Lows in Gallup Poll (Oct 8, 2021)

Well, if rejecting "mainstream media" means turning to garbage, then it's neither smart nor doing the right thing, and that has been seen, fertile grounds for bullshit, dis/mal/misinformation.

p7e2shlvc04nnso8.jpg
  • Pinprick

Fun fact: Rodin’s “The Thinker” originally had the man sitting on a toilet. The original title? “The Stinker.”
  • Outlander

Jeez, a bit like why throw the baby out with the bathwater when you can just blow up the whole bathroom.

As someone whose job it is to deal with and be intimately acquainted in distress, tragedy, and similar situations, you learn to appreciate your defenses and integrity being tested, even under grueling and unthinkable parameters. After all, if it wasn't so and so, it'd just be someone else. Maybe not now, maybe not for a while, but there's always someone.
  • T Clark
    I've been thinking about starting a poll to identify the most intelligent, funniest, most obsessed with pigs, and most obsessed with goats members of the forum. Here are my preliminary votes, although I'm open to being convinced otherwise:

Reveal
    Most intelligent - T Clark. Duh.
    Funniest - T Clark. Duh.
    Most obsessed with pigs - @Shawn.
    Most obsessed with goats - @Hanover
  • Wosret

That's hardly the tip of what they're up to. They're always up to something... they are.
  • Hanover
    I at least own goats. @Shawn just chose a random mascot.
  • Shawn
    I at least own goats. Shawn just chose a random mascot.Hanover

You should get a pig. I mean, why not?

cute-baby-pig-eating-apple.gif
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions