• T Clark
    There you go, being all reasonable and stuff.T Clark

This reminds me of something.Hanover

I understand what you're saying. Although my comment was intended to be amusing, it was not intended to be critical.
  • Bitter Crank
    There you go, being all reasonable and stuff.T Clark

Yeah, dull, dull, dull.
  • frank
    and so the rabbi went back there before service began and welcomed them and told them how the service worked .Hanover

Those kids will probably remember that for the rest of their lives. That's really cool.
  • jorndoe
    Haven't kept up with this stuff. Maybe someone around here has.

My University Sacrificed Ideas for Ideology. So Today I Quit.
    The more I spoke out against the illiberalism that has swallowed Portland State University, the more retaliation I faced.
    Peter Boghossian
    Sep 8, 2021

Did Boghossian just alienate everyone? Pull irresponsible stunts? Fuel creepy reactionaries? Point at a legitimate problem? Do what had to be done? Justifiably harass postmodernism? Give philosophy/journals a bad name? All of that? Something else?

I've come across people having (ab)used Boghossian's goings-and-doings as proof that peer-reviewing (as an assurance method) doesn't work in general, and therefore scientific findings aren't trustworthy. A bit hyperbolic, yet such (ab)uses can apparently feed anti-science sentiments.
  • unenlightened
    I decided to study the new values that were engulfing Portland State and so many other educational institutions — values that sound wonderful, like diversity, equity, and inclusion, but might actually be just the opposite. The more I read the primary source material produced by critical theorists, the more I suspected that their conclusions reflected the postulates of an ideology, not insights based on evidence. — ex-prof Bogoff

Values based on evidence eh? I'm not sure that is a good idea...
  • Baden

He got involved in some reactionary activism that blew up in his face. That doesn't absolve the other side of blame, but he comes across as rather whiney and pathetic.
  • Srap Tasmaner

I don't keep up with this stuff, but I do have a little more than a passing awareness of it. (Read some articles, watched some videos.) I've actually been struggling with one little corner of the issue in a very practical way for quite some time now, with no solution.

I work at a Barnes & Noble. I think a lot about how to classify and arrange books. We have a sort of catchall section that's labeled "Social Sciences" that does include books you'd think of social science. (Whenever we have Weber, that's where he goes.) But if a book advocates for a particular policy position, I lean toward pushing that book over to the "Current Affairs" section. There are data-driven analyses there too -- and lots of political and ideological bloviating -- but if they reach conclusions and make recommendations, I consider the presence of research or evidential support secondary to the purpose of the book. It's participating in a different conversation from what I think of as social science.

But I can't do that, because if I did, I'd be moving, I don't know, 80% of the books in the "Social Science" section over to "Current Affairs". Almost everything we carry is advocacy. There may or may not be research attached; obviously there's generally something like analysis; but the vast majority of books there are not dispassionate or scientific in any traditional sense -- they don't aspire to be -- and the heavily theoretical ones of course will argue that there's no such thing.

It's all a very strange result, because traditional sociologists very often did research on inequality or race or gender precisely because they saw injustice and wanted people to understand it so that something could be done about it. But we've shifted now to theory being entirely in the service of praxis, and the "understanding" step, where you might do careful research, is treated as no longer necessary -- or rather, it's assumed that we already know exactly what the problem is and enough with the time-wasting research already.

I understand that point of view, and I also understand that my understanding of it is limited in ways I won't always recognize as someone who enjoys relative privilege in my society. I understand that the old model of sociology I described was largely, but not exclusively, a matter of middle-class white people trying to understand things they don't themselves have to experience everyday. But it was still an effort to understand the world, and I have trouble throwing that away.
  • Hanover
    I work at a Barnes & Noble.Srap Tasmaner

Can you renew my rewards card for me? I think it's expired.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    What music?frank

Soulshine by The Allman brothers with Government Mule
    Ave Maria - Pavarotti and Bono Latin and English lyrics respectively
    Thank You - Led Zeppelin
    Ripple - The Grateful Dead

Thank you for asking :flower:
    Now, do you think you can handle the booking when it's time?
  • Srap Tasmaner
    As a favor? Or are you offering something in trade?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I work at a Barnes & Noble. I think a lot about how to classify and arrange books. We have a sort of catchall section that's labeled "Social Sciences" that does include books you'd think of social science. (Whenever we have Weber, that's where he goes.) But if a book advocates for a particular policy position, I lean toward pushing that book over to the "Current Affairs" section. There are data-driven analyses there too -- and lots of political and ideological bloviating -- but if they reach conclusions and make recommendations, I consider the presence of research or evidential support secondary to the purpose of the book. It's participating in a different conversation from what I think of as social science.Srap Tasmaner
    I'm not an expert but I am studying social work and there is a LOT of focus on the current state of affairs. The cultural competency expected of me is VERY different from the culture I consider myself blessed to have been raised in.
    One major change, has been a slow turn over generations, is that of racism in my family. There have been a lot of contributing factors and I am pushing the boundaries of my upbringing, to be mindfully aware of the inequality that exists today and how fluid it can appear but the unequally levels rise "unequally", respectively.

"I'm not sure if that makes sense but if it doesn't, let me know and I will try to add more words." xz_Joel

:flower:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I miss my favorite rat terrier, Trey Gowdy, when it comes to staying on topic during government questioning!
    Where the hell is Jim Jordan? :brow:
    John Bayner wasn't even gone a day before he found a lucrative deal in Cannabis.
  • frank
    Now, do youArguingWAristotleTiff

:groan:
  • Hanover
    As a favor? Or are you offering something in trade?Srap Tasmaner

I'll give you half a scone from the Starbucks or however much I don't eat.
  • Hanover
    I like Barnes and Noble because I like to see and feel the book before I order it from my phone on Amazon for half the price.
  • 180 Proof
    Gov. Gavin Newsome (D-CA) survives GOP/MAGA/Covid-denial power grab today. Thanks Larry Elder for "suppressing" your own voters by telling them for weeks the recall election was already ("stolen") rigged against them. :clap: :sweat:
  • Hanover
    You wound me, sir.Srap Tasmaner
    Barnes and Noble was the hated monster destroying the independent bookstores until Amazon arose from the depths and went on a killing spree.
  • Srap Tasmaner
    Now we're the last best hope for humanity...

As it happens, this is the best bookstore Athens has ever had, and we're not responsible for the death of the best bookstore Atlanta ever had. They would have mismanaged themselves into bankruptcy without any help from us.
  • frank
    Athens and Atlanta square off regarding who destroyed America's innocence.

Fight! Fight! Fight!
  • Srap Tasmaner
    B&N is headquartered in the city whose name is not often spoken in my state without spitting afterwards, so there's that.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Gov. Gavin Newsome (D-CA) survives GOP/MAGA/Covid-denial power grab180 Proof

This man can only do one thing to correct what he has fucked up during his term for California and that is to say:
    "I officially resign." Period. Full Stop.

BUT the man does not posses enough self respect to gracefully step down.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Athens and Atlanta square off regarding who destroyed America's innocence.

Fight! Fight! Fight!
    frank

~donning her toga and Laurel leaf crown~
    :flower: Peace :victory: Love :heart: Happiness :sparkle:
  • Srap Tasmaner
    You're on the right track, just open the throttle all the way up
  • frank

Oh. NYC. It's on another planet. It's so weird you can get there by just staying on I-95.
  • frank
    ~donning her toga and Laurel leaf crown~
    :flower: Peace :victory: Love :heart: Happiness :sparkle:
    ArguingWAristotleTiff

That's no fun.
  • Hanover
    As it happens, this is the best bookstore Athens has ever had, and we're not responsible for the death of the best bookstore Atlanta ever had. They would have mismanaged themselves into bankruptcy without any help from us.Srap Tasmaner

You're referring to Oxford Books in Peachtree Battle?
  • Srap Tasmaner
    Yeah the Peachtree Battle location, with Oxford Too just across the parking lot and up the hill. Good memories
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions