• Sir2u
    But is the condition of being an asshole pre-determined? Perhaps the many people who are assholes can not avoid being assholes? Is it the fault of brilliant people that they are so smart? Is it the fault of obtuse literalists that they can't catch a slightly subtle joke if their lives depended on it?Bitter Crank

Excellent points. The truth is I don't know. Maybe we should ask some of the more intellectual MEMBERS(pick your favorite meaning) of the forum for their input.

The condition of assholeness is normally distributed in the population, and because of quantum mechanics, no matter how you sample the population, 33.3% will always turn out to be assholes -- as they will be quick to tell you. 33.3% of The Philosophy Forum members are assholes as well. Obviously that doesn't mean that 66.6% are lovely people. Actually only about 12.1% manage to achieve that status. another 33.3% of the population are made up of liars, thieves, knaves, and scoundrels. So far we have accounted for 78.7% of the population. Then there are ordinary jerks, idiots, imbeciles, and morons. That's another 14%. 92.7% and counting. The remaining 7.3% of the population are indeterminate. That won't last. Soon they will reveal themselves to be assholes, liars, thieves, knaves, scoundrels, jerks, idiots, imbeciles, and morons.Bitter Crank

Could I please have a copy of the survey? That is absolutely fantastic, such clear, concise data. How many subjects took part in the survey?

The more complex question is whether it is a better state-of-being to be compelled to be a liar, thief, knave, scoundrel, jerk, idiot, imbecile, moron; or an asshole.Bitter Crank

Oh god! I have just had a nightmarish thought flash into my head. What if we have a moronic asshole here?

Assholes are the same way. It's a fine spring day; the flowers are blooming, warm breezes blow, not a cloud in the sky, and some asshole comes along and says something that just RUINS YOUR DAY. Probably insinuated that your horses need new shoes, or something.Bitter Crank

Yes I know well the feeling. Those types usually get called students though. :smile:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I think I might have spoken too soon for she is still here for another week. :worry:
  • TimeLine
    You guys are like a bunch of squabbling siblings. Perhaps some of you should take a break? Susan might be onto something.ProbablyTrue

Three words. Lost In Space. One word. Netflix. One Word. Awesome.
  • T Clark
    Three words. Lost In Space. One word. Netflix. One Word. Awesome.TimeLine

I was wondering about that. I used to watch the original, but the movie with William Hurt and Gary Oldman was terrible. I was going to avoid it, but I'll take a look. Does the robot say "Danger, Will Robinson!!"
  • T Clark

Here's a sad thought, I can name most of the original cast - Angela Cartwright, Billy Mumy, Guy Williams, June.... geez....Timmy's mom from Lassie.... Lockhart! Can't remember Dr. Smith or the other two. Or the robot. So, anyway. Half the cast.
  • Cavacava
    Kendrick Lamar won the Pulitzer Prize in music for his album “Damn” on Monday afternoon. He is the first nonclassical or jazz artist to win the award.
  • Cavacava
    Comforting news :gasp:
    An asteroid similar in size to one that exploded more than 100 years ago in Russia's Tunguska region in Siberia gave Earth a close shave on Sunday (April 15), just one day after astronomers discovered the object.
  • Bitter Crank
    I am up in the air about whether its missing us is a cause for comfort, jubilation, sorrow, or regret. Could go either way.
  • Cavacava
    The existence of this object was only discovered 24 hours prior to its passing the Earth, which is cringworthy.
  • Sapientia
    But kinda funny.

"Hey guys, I know I was supposed to be checking for asteroids headed our way, but....

Three words...
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Benkei
    How is Archie doing? Are you at home yet or still in the hospital? :hearts:
  • TimeLine
    Not yet but there was a moment it protected him that made him say danger. I am only a couple of episodes in though. They have modernized the show, but brilliantly, much better than Star Trek and the latter classics (original and tng) are my favourites, which they failed big time repeatedly bringing it back in my opinion.
  • Bitter Crank
    So, it would have been a BIG surprise party. Let's see, now... Which continent would we prefer the asteroid have its big impact? (This is a circumstance where "impact" is appropriate.)

Greenland (island) or Antartica would be good because a smashing hit there would speed up the ocean's rising level and would kill few people outright. It would mean years of great science and tons of interesting programs on television. The oceans are going to rise; we might as well get it over with. The rising oceans would eliminate a lot of economic activity and would cut CO2 emissions.

Most of the continents are just not suitable. The Western Hemisphere is covered by the Monroe Doctrine which rules out meddlesome asteroids. Europe is united against asteroids, (except Britain -- but the UK isn't quite big enough to absorb an asteroid). Africa is disadvantaged, and it would be unfair if the asteroid landed there--not to mention it would also be decidedly racist for an asteroid to strike there. Siberia would be good, of course, but they have already had their turn.

Asia is obviously the best location. We could all do with a drop in the world's population, and there is more population there than anywhere else. On the other hand, if the asteroid could arrange to impact the middle east, it would eliminate ever so many problems at one time. Like simplifying European and American foreign policy and concluding the tiresome Israeli-Arab conflict. It would eliminate a lot of oil production (good for the global climate.)

So, first choice, Antartica and/or Greenland. Second Choice, Western Asia. Third choice, east or south Asia. BTW, whatever happened to that Chinese space station? Did it burn up in the atmosphere?
  • Bitter Crank
    Oh, sorry TimeLine -- I left Australia out. Maybe Australia would be a good place for a asteroid to impact. Aussies are about due for something interesting to happen and a nice-sized asteroid landing In your outback would be a fascinating experience, You could get up close and take pictures of it colliding with Mother Earth.
  • T Clark
    Not yet but there was a moment it protected him that made him say danger. I am only a couple of episodes in though. They have modernized the show, but brilliantly, much better than Star Trek and the latter classics (original and tng) are my favourites, which they failed big time repeatedly bringing it back in my opinion.TimeLine

Just finished the first episode. Jury is out, but I'll definitely watch another episode or two.
  • T Clark
    Oh, sorry TimeLine -- I left Australia out. Maybe Australia would be a good place for a asteroid to impact. Aussies are about due for something interesting to happen and a nice-sized asteroid landing In your outback would be a fascinating experience, You could get up close and take pictures of it colliding with Mother Earth.Bitter Crank

We'll save Australia. Don't want to hurt no kangaroos. We'll build an all-American amusement park there. They've got surfing too!

• Sir2u
    Cool, until it gets loose in the environment and starts eating laptops, tablets, and cellphones. Oh hell, I just noticed I am sitting on a plastic chair. Hope the damn thing does not mutate into something we will be even sorrier about.
  • Waya
    I'm bored...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.