• MonfortS26
    That violates rule #18
  • Noble Dust

Way to suck the fun out of this thread, broh! Nice!
  • MonfortS26
    I'm still having fun. I didn't take away anyone else's ability to make rules, I just took away other peoples ability to take away my ability to make rules. It is a game, isn't it?
  • Noble Dust
    I didn't take away anyone else's ability to make rules, I just took away other peoples ability to take away my ability to make rules.MonfortS26

I.E. you sucked the fun out of the thread, broh! Nice!
  • MonfortS26
    Ahhhh, the consequences of winning....
  • Noble Dust

The consequences of sucking the fun out of the thread, broh! Nice!
  • Michael
    If people don't even try to follow the rules that came before, it's not a game at all.T Clark

The last rule will be "ignore all previous rules", so it'll work out in the end.
  • Banno
    Rule two: Rules that are labeled with a hash (#) are hereby deemed not well-formed and hence need not be followed.

Clean deck; start again.
  • Shawn
    Rule one.

Rules cannot be imposed on other rules previously made from henceforth.
  • Sir2u
    I had such high hopes for Fred as Supreme Leader, but he just drank the toilet water and started chewing on the wall, so I'm not sure he's the intellectual I thought he was.Hanover

He sounds as though he is on the same level as some world leaders, don't give up on him yet.
  • Sir2u
    Rule three:

No rule shall be considered valid until it has been published in a confirmation post by Lord of the Game, Sir Banno.
    Any rule posted before aforementioned confirmation of previous post will be cancelled and considered null and void.
  • T Clark
    Rule two: Rules that are labeled with a hash (#) are hereby deemed not well-formed and hence need not be followed.

Clean deck; start again.
    Banno

I point out that Rule 9 makes Banno the final arbiter of all issues and interpretations of what rules are acceptable, what they mean, and when they apply.
  • T Clark

I've been thinking about this post some more. This is the most important thing I've learned from this discussion - the need for administration and enforcement. A bit of bureaucracy is needed. So, ND, you have become a proto-bureaucrat. As I said, I would make that role official if I could.
  • Janus

B, not all the rules that have been stated have hashtags. ND you included hashtags in front of the numbers of all the rules you critique, which means your critique is vacuous in relation to all the rules that did not have hashtags when they were stated.

New rule (forget the numbers, they don't matter, they are merely a convenience): no defunct critique shall be re-presented in 'corrected' form to apply where it previously did not.
  • Banno
    B, not all the rules that have been stated have hashtags.Janus

Fair point. You still have to choose sides and I still get to decide who dies Pollice verso.
  • Janus

In this game, does the turned thumb signal the living or dying, or cause it? (The same question applies in the 'real' world).
  • Banno
    And the answer is the same: yes.
  • Janus

Both signals and causes in both the game and the 'real' world, then?

In the real world someone may escape death even after the event of the downturned thumb signals their impending doom. Can it happen in this game?
  • Noble Dust

These rules are pointless and contribute nothing to the game.
  • Noble Dust

Unfortunately Janus is trying to ensure that that never happens.
  • Janus

To the contrary, they save the game from the fatal grip of bureaucracy, they preserve it from the depredations of would-be minor despots.
  • Banno
    Both signals and causes in both the game and the 'real' world, then?Janus

No; both signals or causes.

does the turned thumb signal the living or dying, or cause it?Janus
  • Banno
    SO folk of stout heart and good will cannot reach such simple agreement without being coerced?
  • Noble Dust

They clearly can't reach it on their own.
  • T Clark
    SO folk of stout heart and good will cannot reach such simple agreement without being coerced?Banno

What’s the issue? Rule 9 says you da man. Make up your mind and tell us where it goes next.
  • Noble Dust

Using something so inane as the use of a hashtag as grounds for nullifying a set of rules, or a commentary on a set of rules, is pointless, and contributes nothing to the game.
  • T Clark
    they preserve it from the depredations of would-be minor despots.Janus

Said the would-be minor despot.
  • Banno
    What’s the issue? Rule 9 says you da man. Make up your mind and tell us where it goes next.T Clark

I was thinking more along the lines of deism than theism. I've probably interfered too much already.
  • Janus

The nullification of rules that include hashtags comes from THE MAN, the Creator Himself, not from me, and not from a minor despot, so take it up with the creator. I was merely fleshing out the impliactions of the Law.
  • T Clark
    Using something so inane as the use of a hashtag as grounds for nullifying a set of rules, or a commentary on a set of rules, is pointless, and contributes nothing to the game.Noble Dust

To be successful, a game like this needs a good leader. Rule 9 offered the opportunity for us to have one, but Banno was unwilling to step up. That left the door open for someone with no commitment to following the rules or fairness to take charge.

That's a pretty good lesson - In an open situation, lack of scruples is an advantage. The only way to win is not to play.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.