• Janus
    Agreed regarding some kinds of thought and belief,creativesoul

Note I said "thoughts" and "beliefs" and you responded using "thought" and "belief". I have been referring to thought as 'thinking' and belief as "believing". So, in my terms a thought or a belief, being defined as a determinate entity, must be linguistically framed; whereas thought and belief, or thinkings and believings need not be so framed.
  • creativesoul
    I have been referring to thought as 'thinking' and belief as "believing".Janus

Not my problem.
  • creativesoul
    So, in my terms a thought or a belief, being defined as a determinate entity, must be linguistically framed; whereas thought and belief, or thinkings and believings need not be so framed.Janus

The term "thought" can refer to either a plurality of thoughts, or a single one. It can also be used to refer to what one is doing when they are sitting around contemplating their own mental ongoings.

When the discussion is based upon what counts as a single thought, it goes into the direction of content. That's where I've been and will stay.

I've set out the necessary and sufficient conditions for each and every sense of each and every word ever spoken and/or written, regardless of the individual particulars.

Belief must be meaningful. Thought must be meaningful. All meaning consists entirely of correlations being drawn by a capable agent. The capability consists of something to become sign/symbol, something to become significant/symbolized, and an agent to draw a correlation between the two... All meaning is attribution, and that's precisely how it's done.

Now what?
  • Janus

No, your problem is that you're not interested in anyone else's thoughts and beliefs, even when they are patently more coherent than your own.
  • creativesoul
    Got either an argument or a valid criticism of the ones I've been putting forth?

I'm not interested in such petty bullshit.
  • creativesoul
    We agree that one can believe stuff and think stuff and that doing so doesn't require being framed(taken account of).
  • Janus
    The term "thought" can refer to either a plurality of thoughts, or a single one.creativesoul

No, the term "thought" refers to the process of thinking; it is the noun equiavelnt to the verb "thinking, in other words. The term "a thought" refers to a single thought, and the term "some thoughts" refers to a plurality of thoughts.
  • Janus

It's not "petty bullshit" but suggested refinements, for the sake of greater clarity, of your inadequate terms.
  • creativesoul
    No, your problem is that you're not interested in anyone else's thoughts and beliefs, even when they are patently more coherent than your own.Janus

That is not a suggested refinement. That's petty bullshit.
  • creativesoul
    Your charge of inadequacy requires more than just gratuitous assertion.
  • Janus

That's right, it's a goad to motivate you to pay attention to suggested refinements.
  • Janus

More adequate terms are more precise in that they enable more distinctions and acknowledge more subtle distinctions.
  • creativesoul
    Provide some, and make sure that these purported 'refinements' are both necessary and/or warranted.

Show the flaw. You've done nothing hitherto aside from teetering upon the fence of equivocation.
  • creativesoul
    I've clarified everywhere you've asked. I said nothing wrong before your asking. Your misattribution of meaning does not count as a problem with the arguments I've provided.
  • creativesoul
    The term "thought" can refer to either a plurality of thoughts, or a single one.
    — creativesoul

No, the term "thought" refers to the process of thinking; it is the noun equiavelnt to the verb "thinking, in other words. The term "a thought" refers to a single thought, and the term "some thoughts" refers to a plurality of thoughts.
    Janus

Evidently the term "term" refers to more than one. By my lights, not everything captured by quotation marks counts a being a term.

See how this works?

"A" is a term. "Thought" is a term. "A thought" is two terms captured between quotations.
  • Janus

From Google search, here:
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=term+definition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=amyCWq6XL83N8gealryYAw

Term
    təːm/
    noun
    noun: term; plural noun: terms

1.a word or phrase used to describe a thing or to express a concept, especially in a particular kind of language or branch of study.
    "the musical term ‘leitmotiv’"
    synonyms: word, expression, phrase, turn of phrase, idiom, locution; More
  • creativesoul
    Sigh...

Got an argument or valid criticism/refutation?
  • creativesoul
    Step one...

Grant the terms.
  • creativesoul
    I suggest that you refine your use of the term "term"...
  • creativesoul
    Sigh...

Got an argument or valid criticism/refutation?
    creativesoul
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.