• Shawn
    This was one of my all time favorite Western koans. I wanted to break it down in understanding what it really means. I think it doesn't take too much effort to see it's an epistemological statement. However, I don't know if the following works and am wondering about the input of interpretations of the statement. Here's my take:

1) Known knowns
    2) Known unknowns
    3) Unknown unknowns.

For us to begin examining known unknowns and unknown unknowns, we first have to acknowledge and understand 1 & 2, to get to 3, for there anything meaningful to be said at all. We can acknowledge 1 by asserting that 'X'. Then we can acknowledge 2 by saying 'What X isn't' And, finally proceeding to 3, based on our knowledge of 1 and 2 (X, and what X isn't), then we can start examining what it (X) really is in reality or to put another way, the sum total of 1 and 2, creates the grounds for beginning to examine 3 by constantly referring back to 1 and 2, with the loop starting from 1 to 2 and repeating until certainty can be arrived at.
  • szardosszemagad
    Will work if X is everything we know. If X is a table, instead of everything we know, then a "What table is not " is a chair, and yet we know things about a chair. So X has to be the complete sum of all knowledge by a human or by a unit.

What is not X then becomes not only a known unknown, but an unkown unknown. When we take all knowledge, and we must according to the previous paragraph, then we can't extrapolate from there. Because to do so, we must have knowledge of things that are not X. But we have no such knowledge.

Therefore I must say that 2 does not exist; it's either known knowns, or unknown unknowns. This is the end point of the reasoning.

Yet in reality we have known unknowns. "How much does the third man in power in China weigh?" Is a known unknown. "Is the weight of this third person in power rapidly increasing now, or rapidly decreasing, or staying more-or-less the same?" This denies the unknown of the unknown.

So according to your essay, the test proves that "known unknowns" are in fact not in existence; and reality is such, that unknown unknowns are not known.

Therefore your theory, described in your essay, does not fit reality.
  • Shawn
    Deviating from the OP, I was wondering how does one arrive at knowledge or certainty given known knowns, known unknowns, and the seemingly metaphysical unknown unknowns?

Any ideas or thoughts on the matter?
  • szardosszemagad
    how does one arrive at knowledge or certainty given known knowns, known unknowns, and the seemingly metaphysical unknown unknowns?Posty McPostface

Thanks, Posty, I was wondering about that myself, but I slid over it lightly.
  • Shawn
    Will work if X is everything we know.szardosszemagad

X can be a proposition or statement of any sort.

So X has to be the complete sum of all knowledge by a human or by a unit.szardosszemagad

X can also be an existential quantifier or again a statement of any sort.

What is not X then becomes not only a known unknown, but an unkown unknown.szardosszemagad

Well, it can be some causal factor that we don't understand. Take a scientific fact for example. We know the conditions that make it true, but there could arise conditions that challenge our understanding of said phenomena, then we have a known unknown to deal with.

Therefore I must say that 2 does not exist; it's either known knowns, or unknown unknowns. This is the end point of the reasoning.szardosszemagad

See the previous paragraph.

So according to your essay, the test proves that "known unknowns" are in fact not in existence; and reality is such, that unknown unknowns are not known.szardosszemagad

Then we have no way of expanding our knowledge in that case or rather the conditions you limit epistemic knowledge would only be hard truths like 2 + 2 is 4.
  • Shawn
    There is also one last case, which I think resolves the issue.

An unknown known is something that you thought you knew was the case but was not in reality.
  • Baden

No, an unknown known is something that you know, but you don't know you know. Something you thought you knew but isn't is just a false belief.
  • Baden
    Zizek does an interesting analysis of this in one of his several million online vids. And I thought we discussed it here or on old PF before.
  • Shawn

I was quoting almost verbatim what Rummy said in one of his memo's or more explicitly in a documentary he starred in called 'The Unknown Known' (2013). It was worth a watch. I saw Fog Of War, also, but Rummy takes the cake, a true believer in the cause, unlike unbiased and cool McNamara in the Fog Of War.

• Shawn
    Zizek does an interesting analysis of this in one of his several million online vids. And I thought we discussed it here or on old PF before.Baden

Send a link if you can. Zizek has a knack for turning everything to some sexual impetus. I may as well have started that thread. I tend to bring up such obscure saying and when an analysis is applied, they get even muddier.
  • Shawn

Typical Zizek. I liked the part where he said American's can't control themselves, it's the unknown knowns driving decision making.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.