• David Blomstrom
    I'm relatively new to philosophy and am trying to get a feel for the organization of the philosophical community into branches, divisions, or whatever you want to call them. I'm also working on a book about political psychology and philosophy and am trying to figure out the terminology I should use.

For example, I've been doing some research on anger, hate and forgiveness. Since I'm not a religious person, I could probably begin by identifying myself in association with secular philosophy, correct?

If I'm not mistaken, the term naturalist is sometimes used as a synonym for people who believe in Nature rather than some supernatural deity as the grand mover.

I've learned that the ancient Greek philosopohers had little to say about forgiveness, so I can forget about them. But would I describe them as the "Greek paradigm" or just refer to them as the "ancient Greek philosophers"?

I haven't yet learned much about post-Greek thoughts regarding hate and forgiveness. But one of my heroes is Che Guevara, who was famous both for his compassion for the poor and oppressed and for the resulting hatred he had for their oppressors.

So could I speak of some broad "paradigm" which was embraced by Che Guevara and fellow revolutionaries? I've also seen some references to post-modernism, and I'm wondering if that could be considered a "paradigm."

Are there any other good terms or key words I should be using here?

Thanks.
  • T Clark
    Are there any other good terms or key words I should be using here?David Blomstrom

Don't worry about the terminology. It is bologna and more often hides than enlightens. Tell us about Che Guevara.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.