• TheMadFool
    The problem you pose isn't one.StreetlightX

Ok. Do you agree that ''means'' is an equality claim, as in x means y can also be expressed as x = y. Is meaning just another way of naming?
  • TheMadFool
    Synonym is a word/phrase with the same meaning as the word in question. So, it's the same thing - definition, synonym, all the same.
  • Streetlight
    No. Meaning is not an equality claim. Meanings are not even claims at all. Hence the link.
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    Synonyms are the same expressions between linguistic expressions. Definitions are sentences that give meanings to linguistic expressions. Can you see the difference?
  • TheMadFool
    Unless there's an equality there's no meaning.

God is defined as an omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent being.

1) Pray to God

2) Pray to the omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent being

Do you see any difference between 1 and 2?

No

That's because God = omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent being. See?

Also synonyms are definitions.
  • TheMadFool
    No. Meaning is not an equality claim. Meanings are not even claims at all. Hence the linkStreetlightX

How so?

See here
  • Streetlight
    But meaning is not at all exhausted by definitions. In fact definitions ought to be perhaps the last thing one ought to consider when thinking about meaning at all, such is the awfulness of thinking of meaning in that way.
  • Rich
    This is a paradox because we have to know the meaning of ''meaning'' before we can assign it meaning.TheMadFool

Accept that everything everything is in flux and that any symbolic meaning is a practical, albeit incomplete tool, for communication. It has limits and is bound to change. The paradox arises out if the neverending desire for truth where there isn't any.
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    Some expressions are meaningful without synonyms. The term 'dog' is meaningful even without synonyms. 'Dog' can be paraphrased by some expressions, such as 'quadrupedal pet animal' and so on. When without such paraphrasing, 'dog' is still meaningful.
    Synonyms are defined as 'linguistic expressions defined as the same thing'. Definitions are defined as 'sentences that give meanings to linguistic expressions'. Some synonyms are established by definitions. However, definitions are not established by synonyms. They are two distinct concepts.
  • TheMadFool
    But meaning is not at all exhausted by definitions.StreetlightX

I see. I was using ''meaning'' and ''definition'' as synonyms. Apparently, there's a significant difference. Sorry for sending you offtrack. Anyway, learned something. Thanks.

The paradox arises out if the neverending desire for truth where there isn't anyRich

Sounds Zen! Can you descend and answer the question at my level? Thanks
  • Rich
    Nothing zen about it. Meaning is just an arbitrary temporary description that is assigned subject to change. There is nothing permanent about it. Similarly, a definition it's some arbitrary symbolic representation that people happen to agree on (a consensus)-sometimes or most of the time.

When someone attempts to make such arbitrary descriptions universal and permanent, that when problems arise.
  • TheMadFool
    They are two distinct concepts.A Son of Rosenthal

What's your understanding of definition?
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    Again, definitions are sentences that give meanings to linguistic expressions. Definitions are what we use for meaning. So, definitions are not the same as meanings.
  • Vajk
    I don‘t know if the meaning of meaning is meaning, or not. Perhaps there is an other meaning, perhaps not! I don‘t know if the writings on this wall of the Cave are Sophisticated or not, do You?
  • TheMadFool
    Without meaning being permanent, communication is impossible. As you correctly pointed, it needs consensus, and that's a way of making meaning permanent.

Anyway, I don't see how, in the world you describe, the paradox is solved. You still need to know the meaning of ''meaning''.
  • Rich
    Meaning is a continuous developing process that originates with some observations of some sort that create a qualitative memory within oneself. It is strictly experiential. The tricky part comes in conveying such qualitative memory (including feeling) to someone else. An agreed upon definition may ensue or they may be constant disagreements as with most things.

There is no paradox, just lots and lots disagreements.
  • TheMadFool
    Sorry but if it's not too much trouble can you give me a synopsis of your understanding of definitions and how it addresses the paradox in my OP.

Still, there are words which need to have a fixed meaning and ''meaning'' is one of them. So, the paradox of having to know the meaning of ''meaning'' before you can define is still unsolved.
  • TheMadFool
    I don‘t know if the meaning of meaning is meaning, or not. Perhaps there is an other meaning, perhaps not! I don‘t know if the writings on this wall of the Cave are Sophisticated or not, do youVajk

Are you referring to the Plato's Cave? How does that affect the paradox of meaning?
  • Rich
    Still, there are words which need to have a fixed meaning and ''meaning'' is one of them.TheMadFool

Possibly more fixed than others but almost all have multiple possibilities with new possibilities (slang terms) being created all the time. Impermanence.
  • Vajk

I don‘t know, perhaps if I could leave the cave, I‘ve could tell you. Oh wait that is impossible!
    (Refering to Plato‘s Cave)
    If you know how I mean.
  • Harry Hindu
    What is the definition of ''definition''? Or
    What is the meaning of ''meaning''?
    TheMadFool
    Definitions are statements expressing the essential nature of something.

Meaning, according to Paul Grice, has two kinds - natural and non-natural. Natural meaning has to do with cause and effect (these spots mean measles), while the non-natural kind has to do with a speaker's intention in communicating something to a listener (What I mean to say is...).

But meaning is not at all exhausted by definitions. In fact definitions ought to be perhaps the last thing one ought to consider when thinking about meaning at all, such is the awfulness of thinking of meaning in that way.StreetlightX
    When I see a new word being used, I still don't get the meaning. I end up referencing the dictionary to know what the word means.
  • Streetlight
    When I see a new word being used, I still don't get the meaning. I end up referencing the dictionary to know what the word means.Harry Hindu

Oh dear, it must be hard to have to live like that.
  • Harry Hindu
    Having no sea-coast, Bolivia has no seaport except what may be granted in usufruct by Chile.

What did I mean by "usufruct"? Did you already know what the word means (you've heard or seen it used before)? If so, I can probably find another that you have never heard used before in which you should know what it means simply by it's use.
  • TheMadFool
    Oh wait that is impossible!Vajk

I see. So, you think it's an impossible task to define ''meaning''. That means the paradox has no solution. Agree?

(Y)
    @StreetlightX(Y)

The paradox is still unsolved.
    1) How do we define ''definition''?
    2) What is the meaning of ''meaning''?

Any attempt to answer the above questions would proceed as follows:

1. The definition of ''definition'' is...
    That's a circularity that generates a paradox: we have to define ''definition'' but to do so we need to know the definition of ''definition''.

2. The meaning of ''meaning'' is...
    That too is circular and generates the paradox of having to know the meaning of ''meaning'' before we can assign it meaning.
  • Harry Hindu
    1. The definition of ''definition'' is...
    That's a circularity that generates a paradox: we have to define ''definition'' but to do so we need to know the definition of ''definition''.

2. The meaning of ''meaning'' is...
    That too is circular and generates the paradox of having to know the meaning of ''meaning'' before we can assign it meaning.
    TheMadFool
    I just don't see a paradox. I just provided the definition of "definition", without using the word, "definition" in the definition.
  • TheMadFool
    Definitions are statements expressing the essential nature of something.Harry Hindu

I like that definition. Thanks(Y)
  • Vajk

No, not realy.
    I writed that it is impossible for me to leave Plato‘s Cave, because I have never been there.( I know I did not defined it in my previous comment, but I did it now)
    It is also impossible for You to leave the cave because You are in its deepest room trying to figure out the meaning of the shadows.
  • Rich
    Without meaning being permanent, communication is impossible. As you correctly pointed, it needs consensus, and that's a way of making meaning permanent.TheMadFool

Notice how meaning is so elusive on this forum (even for simple things like what is meaning?) and how difficult it is to communicate - but we do the best we can.

Anyway, I don't see how, in the world you describe, the paradox is solved. You still need to know the meaning of ''meaning''.

The paradox isn't solved because there isn't any, unless one subscribes to the concept of fixed meaning that somehow has to be discovered. Giving meaning is a process of observation and feeling, and it is constantly changing. Then there is the process of trying to convey that meaning, at which time definitions are handy but still fluid.
  • andrewk
    Like many words, 'meaning' is a word that means different things in different contexts. Examples are:

'What do you mean?', in response to a statement that appeared to be a request or instruction, means 'I don't understand what you want me to do. Can you please explain more clearly?'

On the other hand, in response to a statement that sounded like a proposition, made in a discussion or argument, it means something like
    'I didn't understand that point you just made. Can you please rephrase it to make it more likely that I can understand it?'

Then there's one of my favourites:
    'I mean ....'
    which means - 'I'm not confident that what I just said was intellligible, so I'll try to rephrase it to see if I can make it any more intelligible'.

In short, words don't usually have meaning. It is sentences that have meaning. And sometimes even a sentence isn't enough. One needs a whole paragraph to acquire a meaning.

The German-English dictionary that's loaded on my Kindle is very good like that. For most words it doesn't even attempt to define them in isolation. Rather, it gives several different sentences showing the different ways it can be used, and explains the meaning of each sentence.
  • TheMadFool
    Thanks for the clarification. I was more interested in the very basic definition of ''definition''. I thought there was a circularity in trying to define ''definition''. Sloppy work. Sorry.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.