• Jack Cummins

I found the metaphorical understanding of my ceiling scenario helpful. Although I was describing what is happening in my room life is full of deeper symbolic layers in the stories which make up our experiences. We are living and creating mythic dramas constantly which is probably why stories are as powerful as philosophy itself.
  • Caldwell
    Cool. What do you think for new deadline, end of month?Baden
    That's good. :up:
    Chill pic.
  • Baden

Alright then, I'll adjust the OP. :up:
  • Hanover
    I'm going to write a short story about a short story contest that changed deadline dates. I think it's something everyone can identify with.

@Jack Cummins, what do you think of that?

Just trying to keep @Baden entertained.
  • Jack Cummins

The short story about the deadline change may include a leaking ceiling as part of the plot, especially with the division of the earth and the heavens and the wrath of God coming through from above. The ongoing rain, due to sins, may make the deadline end with the day of judgment being postponed a little longer until the end of month apocalypse.
  • Caldwell
    The leaky-roof saga.
  • Noble Dust
    Welp, I'm now quarantined for the next week with covid, so now I have all the time in the world to write this story. Hell yeah.
  • Hanover
    Welp, I'm now quarantined for the next week with covid, so now I have all the time in the world to write this story. Hell yeah.Noble Dust

I'll be on the lookout for a story about being quarantined.
  • Noble Dust

I'm thinking a swashbuckling pirate tale involving scurvy and lots of madeira.
  • 180 Proof
    I'm thinking a swashbuckling pirate tale involving scurvy and lots of madeira.Noble Dust
    :cool:
  • hypericin
    I hope more will participate than the handful that are posting here. I need the competition!
  • Caldwell
    I hope more will participate than the handful that are posting here. I need the competition!hypericin
    We deal with quality, not quantity. :cool:
  • Hanover
    I'd propose that subscribers be permitted multiple entries. Rule #2 limiting entries to a single entry pertains only to members, but is silent as to what pertains to subscribers.

The concept is similar to allowing the purchase of multiple lottery tickets to increase your odds of winning. That the concept exists in another context is proof of its soundness.
  • hypericin
    I'd have no problem, though for myself I think I have about 5 stories in me total. Gotta conserve these puppies.
  • Benkei
    Well, I'm totally stuck with my two stories, so I have two halves that unfortunately don't make a whole.
  • Jamal
    Stick them together! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fix-up

For example, create a first-person frame narrative that pretends to introduce two stories found in a chest in the attic of your new house. Use that frame narrative to speculate about how the stories are linked together. Edit the two to make it work.
  • Hanover
    For example, create a first-person frame narrative that pretends to introduce two stories found in a chest in the attic of your new house. Use that frame narrative to speculate about how the stories are linked together. Edit the two to make it work.Jamal

Maybe I could do this with my entire life and speculate how it all fits together.
  • Jamal
    Indeed, you could almost say that living itself is the effort to create a story from the disparate accidents that happen to you.
  • Hanover
    Reminds me again of this quote from Burroughs
  • Jamal
    Except that Burroughs seems to think that stories go all the way down rather than being imposed after the fact. Anyway, here's another one I like:

Did I ever tell you about the man who taught his asshole to talk? His whole abdomen would move up and down, you dig? Farting out the words. It was unlike anything I ever heard. Bubbly, thick, stagnant sound. Sound you could smell. This man worked for the carnival, you dig? — WSB, Naked Lunch
  • Hanover
    My problem with it is that it almost seems too easy, talking about talking out your asshole. He doesn't specifically refer to anyone (at least in the quote), but just sort of talks about a guy with an unusual talent. If he were referring to someone as particularly full of shit (like maybe Trump), then the making the metaphor literal becomes amusing, but, still again, too easy. It's like the old insult of "you're so full of shit, your eyes are brown."

Looking at this not as social commentary, but just as a comedic shock value statement, I give it an average grade.

If he makes improvements to the shock value and has the asshole search out penises and whatnot to alternatively injure or pleasure depending upon mood, he will increase the absurdity, but maybe make it too radical for the time period. It will also make the asshole more of an evil monster as opposed to a metaphor for something else.

I'd also point out that there is an entire belly of shit just above the asshole typically, and what he might have that shit do for him in the story leaves open additional avenues for exploration that perhaps he does eventually take advantage of and that I just don't know about.

But to be clear, all that I say here is out of love and a desire for his improvement because both of us at the end of the day are kindred beatniks.
  • Jamal
    To be fair, I failed to properly represent your beatnik confederate by taking him out of context after quickly googling "william s burroughs quotes".

But seeing as how you're feeling analytical, here's the whole quote:

Did I ever tell you about the man
    who taught his asshole to talk?

His whole abdomen would move up and down,
    you dig, farting out the words.

It was unlike anything I ever heard.

Bubbly, thick, stagnant sound.

A sound you could smell.

This man worked for the carnival,you dig?

And to start with it was
    like a novelty ventriloquist act.

After a while,
    the ass started talking on its own.

He would go in
    without anything prepared...

and his ass would ad-lib
    and toss the gags back at him every time.

Then it developed sort of teethlike...

little raspy incurving hooks
    and started eating.

He thought this was cute at first
    and built an act around it...

but the asshole would eat its way through
    his pants and start talking on the street...

shouting out it wanted equal rights.

It would get drunk, too, and have crying jags.
    Nobody loved it.

And it wanted to be kissed,
    same as any other mouth.

Finally, it talked all the time,
    day and night.

You could hear him for blocks,
    screaming at it to shut up...

beating at it with his fists...

and sticking candles up it, but...

nothing did any good,
    and the asshole said to him...

"It is you who will shut up
    in the end, not me...

"because we don't need you
    around here anymore.

I can talk and eat and shit."

After that, he began waking up
    in the morning with transparentjelly...

like a tadpole's tail
    all over his mouth.

He would tear it off his mouth
    and the pieces would stick to his hands...

like burning gasoline jelly
    and grow there.

So, finally, his mouth sealed over...

and the whole head...

would have amputated spontaneously
    except for the eyes, you dig?

That's the one thing
    that the asshole couldn't do was see.

It needed the eyes.

Nerve connections were blocked...

and infiltrated and atrophied.

So, the brain couldn't
    give orders anymore.

It was trapped inside the skull...

sealed off.

For a while, you could see...

the silent, helpless suffering
    of the brain behind the eyes.

And then finally
    the brain must have died...

because the eyes went out...

and there was no more feeling in them
    than a crab's eye at the end of a stalk.
  • Hanover
    Beautiful prose describing the plight of the rebellious asshole only to be eventually suppressed by the man. Fuck the man. That's what beatniks say.
  • Noble Dust
    My story notes keep growing and growing with no end in sight...probably time to just start writing.
  • Benkei
    I'm amazed to read people have processes for writing. Notes? Wow. I need an idea or a dream otherwise nothing happens. Jealous of people who can write when they want to write. :up:
  • god must be atheist
    Oops. (This insight was too valuable to drop it here. Will go into my book first before I publish it here. )
  • god must be atheist
    Wow. I need an idea or a dream otherwise nothing happens.Benkei

For fiction writing, I need a line from a song that grabs me. Otherwise my story is shit. For essay writing, I need a flash of insight. For arguing on philosophical topics, I rely on my wits.
  • Jack Cummins

I agree that finding a starting point is the hardest point. Songs are great though and I have come across a series of short story collection books which are based on songs of a particular group, including Sonic Youth, The Smiths and The Fall. So, maybe a favourite artist or group may give you a song and I would like to try that too.
  • Noble Dust

Oh I start with an idea too. The notes are about the idea.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.