• god must be atheist
    I believe that if you run into somebody in the street it's for a reason.Hanover
    One of the many possible reasons is that you both went jogging, and are completely blind.

Possible reason #2: like in a Hadron collider atoms are melded into each other, running high speed into another may have been planned as an experiment to see if Vulcan Mind-Meld is possible.

Reason #3: You both ran for the same attractive woman on the street, and at a critical point just before the impact with the woman she was taken "up".

#4: It was a measure of strength, momentum and energy, to see who can knock the other one off his or her course.

5: Cosmic forces unbeknownst to the collidents forced them to do it.
  • Jamal
    Maybe I'll be a modern beatnik. Something to think about. Won't be the worst decision I ever made.Hanover

Better than being a hippie.

I haven’t read any Burroughs or Kerouac, though I do know that Burroughs used the cut-up technique, which can be referred to as découpé if you want to impress people who are not French.
  • Hanover
    Better than being a hippie.Jamal

I agree. I think of clever, free thinking, and intellectual when I think of beatnik. I think of dirty, lazy, and annoying when I think hippy. Bob Dylan versus The Grateful Dead. If I insulted someone with the stereotype, sorry you don't dig.

I found an excerpt from Burroughs:

https://genius.com/William-s-burroughs-naked-lunch-excerpt-the-man-that-taught-his-asshole-to-talk-annotated

It has an absurdist angle I like, but it seems overall critical or negative of something, like he's trying to make a deeper point, which loses its pure absurdity and it doesn't feel at all playful. He should undie and read some Hanover.

I realize my foray into beatnikism and French descriptors is new and might take a little while before I've fully embraced it, so give me some space. Dig?
  • Jamal
    Dig?Hanover

It's a real groove Daddy-O.
  • Benkei
    What's this about writing techniques? That's an actual thing? I thought writers just make shit up?

Probably explains I haven't won yet.
  • Caldwell
    What's this about writing techniques? That's an actual thing? I thought writers just make shit up?

Probably explains I haven't won yet.
    Benkei
    Benk, tu es trop sophistiqué for this competition. Know yourself. :yum:

I'll have a chat to Caldwell about it nearer the time.Baden
    It's good to extend, non?
  • Jack Cummins

I am wondering if the deadline is still the 22nd or whether the extension was granted because I know someone asked for it. I can probably get it in by then, but having to put off typing it for a day two because water has been coming through my ceiling this week. I have been having to move things around my room and it's in such a jumble that I am struggling to find a path to get to my bed. I have concluded that I need to more or less ban myself from the site until I have sorted out my room, which will probably take about 24hrs.
  • Hanover
    You should write about a guy who's writing a story but it keeps changing every time the roof leaks from above onto the ink and the words keep changing.

I'd call it "God's Manuscript."
  • Baden
    It's good to extend, non?Caldwell

Cool. What do you think for new deadline, end of month?
  • Jack Cummins

Perhaps it will be a future story for me to write, but probably not on this site because it would be too obviously mine.

The latest episode to the story is that my lightbulb has gone and I can't reach the ceiling to put a new one in. As its getting dark already I will have to just do the bare essentials, and sort out my room tomorrow when its light and, hopefully, get someone to change my lightbulb tomorrow...
  • Baden
    water has been coming through my ceiling this weekJack Cummins

I've had the water coming through the ceiling thing too. Caused a huge crack up there. But I just put on my hippy head, lie back, and think 'wow, man, the sky is smiling'.

hng0orlybwrvan8j.jpg
    Attachment
    Neil (7K)
  • Baden
    The latest episode to the story is that my lightbulb has gone and I can't reach the ceiling to put a new one in. As its getting dark already I will have to just do the bare essentials, and sort out my room tomorrow when its light and, hopefully, get someone to change my lightbulb tomorrow...Jack Cummins

I love this. Can't change the light bulb because it's too dark... It's light again! Screw it, I'll get someone else to do it. :lol:

EDIT: I think I amusingly misread you here. But... look what I'm smoking...
  • Jack Cummins

I will try to take your advice as I am a bit of a hippy. The other morning it felt like it was raining in my room, even in my bed. It's actually coming from the top of the house and I am on the bottom floor. But, as I don't even have a light now I will relax, maybe with a bit of psychedelic hippy music and try and sort out the room tomorrow. I dare'nt even ask my neighbour to change my bulb until I sort out the jumble because he doesn't understand why I have so many strange books all over the floor. He is not a fan of philosophy and thinks that it would be better if I did more 'normal things'.
  • Jack Cummins

Is the picture you? That is definitely not how I imagined that you would look. We probably visualise people on the site and get them all wrong. Actually, I have smoked something a few times recently, (which I won't mention because my name is on the site,) in the first time in quite a few years.
  • Baden
    Actually, I have smoked something a few times recentlyJack Cummins

No shit.
  • Hanover
    And I'm being facetious of course
    — Hanover

I like that you think you need to point this out. :lol:
    Baden

You'd be surprised.Hanover

Making sense yet?
  • Jack Cummins

The problem which I have is to keep it alight because it seems to blow out every other second, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. I don't know if I put too much in or am simply not rolling it up properly. I tried adding it to the ready meal I was cooking and it seemed to work a little.
  • Noble Dust

Wait, are you making your own edibles...?
  • Hanover
    Speaking of haikus:

"After weeks of watching the roof leak
    I fixed it tonight
    by moving a single board"

https://terebess.hu/english/haiku/snyder.html
  • Jack Cummins

People usually have it in cakes but mine was in my microwaved vegetable curry. But, in some ways it is better than smoking because I don't smoke cigarettes usually.
  • Jack Cummins

I guess that there could be a haiku thread in the lounge. I did write some at one stage briefly but I don't remember the rules for composing them.
  • Hanover
    Hang on. Are you guys just outgoing me on acting like a beatnik?

Well played!
  • Jack Cummins

I am really having a silly evening but the people in the house helped change my light bulb. But we are all such hobbits that the 11 year old girl upstairs was climbing up because she was the tallest, until someone else came through the door. I still need to sort out my jumbled up room, so I shouldn't be procrastinating by playing on the site.
  • Hanover
    The problem which I have is to keep it alight because it seems to blow out every other second, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. IJack Cummins

Sometimes water pouring through the light fixture causes premature bulb loss. The water isn't all bad though. It's probably extinguishing the fire.
  • god must be atheist
    water has been coming through my ceiling this weekJack Cummins

"I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in and stops my mind from wandering... where it will go. I'm sealin' a crack that runs through the door and stops my mind from pondering..."

I run through the door where I get a fix of crack. Get in and start up my mind's wandering out the ceiling...

I weak, me ceiling, coming like crazy when I think of door, pond for pond I fix through.
  • Jack Cummins

The man above me has a bigger problem with the water leaking. I just hope that his floor doesn't collapse, and have him crashing through the ceiling one night...
  • god must be atheist
    I just hope that his floor doesn't collapse, and have him crashing through the ceiling one night...Jack Cummins

You might be lucky, and the Good Lord will answer your prayer; and make the man crash through during the day, not at night.

ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR.
  • Hanover
    The man above me has a bigger problem with the water leaking. I just hope that his floor doesn't collapse, and have him crashing through the ceiling one night...Jack Cummins

You might be lucky, and the Good Lord will answer your prayer;god must be atheist

"The man above me" is the Lord. The "water leaking" is sin. "His floor" is the division between heaven and earth. Jack's hope is that all this sin doesn't cause God to come crashing to earth with vengeance.

Jack's metaphor is very complex. Don't let him fool you into thinking he's just talking about living in a shitty apartment with a leaky roof.
  • god must be atheist
    "The man above me" is the Lord. The "water leaking" is sin.Hanover

The metaphor breaks down with sin dripping through the division between heaven and earth. GOD DRIPS NO SIN.

Or if you are right, and He does, then we are all screwed. Major-league big time.
    Jack's metaphor is very complex. Don't let him fool you into thinking he's just talking about living in a shitty apartment with a leaky roof.Hanover

I concur. For all intents and purposes, in my opinion (or Opinion, if you like) Jack's dead. The floor is between levels of consciousness, and Jack's water dripping in is actually the effect of the level of the water-table rising above the depth of his coughin'.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.