• Hanover
    Tl;Dr but I'm very happy for you or sorry that it happened.Baden

tl;dr
  • Outlander
    I had a good idea for a story, based on a real life existential crisis. But I'm savin' it for the big screen. :cool:
  • hypericin
    I gotta ask, do we have any way of contacting Amity?Noble Dust

Looks like she left the forum due to the aggressive Tankies in the Ukraine thread.
  • Baden
    I gotta ask, do we have any way of contacting Amity? I PM'd her awhile back but no dice. This round will be a bit less exciting without her around.Noble Dust

That's the only way, really. Her commentaries will be missed, for sure.
  • praxis
    Looks like she left the forum due to the aggressive Tankies in the Ukraine thread.hypericin

Commie bastards.

She seems to enjoy the contest, and that being the case, no reason to not participate.
  • Amity
    I gotta ask, do we have any way of contacting Amity? I PM'd her awhile back but no dice. This round will be a bit less exciting without her around.Noble Dust

Thanks to you and others for your PMs, also Jamal for his email, which I responded to yesterday.
    If others are still wondering, I'll post a snippet here:

I left TPF, about 3 months ago, for a whole load of reasons.

I now feel less connected and engaged. Other things have been given priority
    I think the Short Story event will do just fine without my presence. Others will step in.

Thanks again for your stories and input.
    I gained so much from all previous discussions and explorations.
    Quite the eye-opener. One of the best experiences.

However, I feel I have moved on and have less to offer in time, energy and motivation.
    Will probably read the stories but...the oomph has gone.

Best wishes to all :sparkle:
  • Benkei
    I'm going to miss your excellent commentary - I really appreciated the time and effort you put into it in the previous 2 friendly contests but totally understand your reasoning. There's obviously no obligation o nyou to do anything and should all be in good fun. I hope you'll enjoy the stories all the same! I just submitted mine after 2 weeks of intense writer's block. I'm not happy with the result, it's missing something for me and I can't put my finger on it. But my proofreader enjoyed it so I must be doing something right. :rofl:
  • god must be atheist
    I think you're missing something. 180 Proof's method should work fine.Baden

I guess I missed it big time. I still don't know what I missed, because I read the things he wrote and if he does what he has written then this is a math disgrace. But maybe he did not write what he thought. I encounter this sort of discrepancy here on this site with people not being able to express themselves in writing.

At any rate, do the math, and if you can't, then yes, put your faith in anything that your personal friends recommend and ignore the reasoned-out thoughtful critical analysis. Sort of what the RC church did to Galileo. "Your science and math is impeccable, and it would be believable if it weren't going directly against the teachings of the Church."

I am now seriously thinking about quitting this site. If people who present things can't express themselves, and if its most influential people are ignoring well-presented examples of how things are going to go wrong, then I don't want to be associated with this site.

I am not quitting yet, but I am this } { close to it.
  • Baden

You wrote.

What? If a post (short story) gets voted "not for me" 60 times, it earns 120 points, whereas another story that gets 14 "love it" gets 56 points. The inferior product gets first prize, though nobody likes it, and the winning story gets shoved under.god must be atheist

Before that @180 Proof wrote:

The final score for each story will be determined by each story's total score ÷ number of votes180 Proof

So, the "love it" story would win even though it got less total votes because scores are divided by number of votes. (With potentially a minimum number required).
  • Baden
    I also think it's quite likely that those who vote on one story will vote on the others too. I'd certainly encourage that as the more votes we have on each story, the more accurate the result can be considered. But I really don't want this stuff to overshadow the fact that we're encouraging creativity and feedback here, primarily. It doesn't matter a whole lot who 'wins'. There's nothing much at stake here, so I don't think it's worth quibbling over too much.
  • Hanover
    There's nothing much at stake here, so I don't think it's worth quibbling over too much.Baden

Sounds like something someone who's expecting to lose would say.
  • Baden

How can I lose with literary connoisseurs like you in my audience?

2ilkac2xcsbkrxgv.jpg
  • Benkei
    I would rather have feedback than a vote.
  • Tobias
    However, I feel I have moved on and have less to offer in time, energy and motivation.
    Will probably read the stories but...the oomph has gone.

Best wishes to all :sparkle:
    Amity

Dear Amity,
    Your commentary will indeed be missed. It just is not the same without your witty and slightly tantalizing discourse. May you move on to where the oomph will lead you...
  • Hanover
    It's like AGT without Simon Cowell.
  • Tobias
    It's like AGT without Simon Cowell.Hanover

My point exactly!
    Who is Simon Cowell and what is an AGT?
  • Hanover
    Who is Simon Cowell and what is an AGT?Tobias

• 180 Proof
    All the best, my friend. :flower:
  • Baden
    Reminder: Deadline is midnight UTC, June 30th.
  • Hanover
    Have I won yet?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.