• Baden
    So the progress here is in the direction of further confusion or... ? Do I need to appoint a new dictator to organize how we vote or might our philosophical felines reassemble and actually make a collective decision on how to proceed?
  • fdrake

Assemble an interdepartmental committee to assess the feasibility of deciding on a candidate means of collective decision making.
  • jamalrob
    A few people have spoken in favour of keeping it simple and doing it the same as last time. I'm inclined to agree. That's what I would do if I was running it, unless there were vehement protests. And I'd pin the poll thread on the main page to get more votes.
  • Baden

I'll give it another day or two. Unless some alternative emerges that's easy to implement and is supported by a majority of the contributors here, I'll do that, realizing it won't please everyone, but it's primarily about having a bit of festive fun so no need to sweat it imho.
  • Michael
    Assemble an interdepartmental committeefdrake

I read that as "interdimensional" and immediately thought of the Council of Ricks.
  • tim wood
    Writers gotta write (if you build it they will come) - the reward being read. The notes of appreciation in the last go-'round still savor. Up to 5000 words per submission? The prize to Baden for reading, maybe one bottle for every five stories read? May we have a patron to support Baden's efforts in this?
  • 180 Proof
    @Baden

This hybrid-proposal from @Oliver5 & myself seems simple enough for member-readers to register their preferences with you via PM while allowing for weighted voting which, I think, more accurately reflects a range of subjective preferences.

Yeah, it's not an automated process, but it's certainly not a tedious slog to compile manually either. If you don't want to do, my man, have everyone send me a PM with a tally of their votes when the time comes and I'll do the grunt, clerical work of compiling them all and then PMing the final vote totals to you for your Moderator's once-over before posting them in a public thread.

It is easier to do it like we did this past summer but, speaking for myself, the lack of weighted voting (and my very poor showing too!) deflated me a bit at the end.
  • Hanover
    I liked my original voting system suggestion, but I'll go with whatever because I'll win under whatever set of rules we use.
  • Baden

If we go this way, maybe we could both do it to help confirm the result. But, informally then, what does the crowd want? Please register your preference between 180's suggestion and the orginal voting method below and let that be the final determination. I'll give it a day or so and then go with whichever gets the most support.
  • Baden
    I liked my original voting system suggestionHanover

If memory serves, you were simultaneously ignored and pilloried for whatever you came up with, so it's probably best forgotten.
  • Hanover
    we go this way, maybe we could both do it to help confirm the result. But, informally then, what does the crowd want? Please register your preference between 180's suggestion and the orginal voting method below and let that be the final determination. I'll give it a day or so and then go with whichever gets the most support.Baden

If we're going to vote on how we're going to vote, in order to be consistent, we need to vote on how we're going to vote on how we're going to vote. If you can decree how we are going to vote on how we're going to vote, then why not just decree how we are to vote so we don't have to vote on how we're going to vote?

I think my questions implicate deeper questions about when dictatorships are superior to democracies and might warrant a separate thread.

Agree? (Vote yes or no)
  • Caldwell
    Writers gotta write (if you build it they will come) - the reward being read.tim wood
    Hah! The Charles Bukowski was right.
  • jamalrob
    The way I see it, @Baden has to decide on the system to use, based on the comments here and his own judgement. Like a king after hearing from his council of advisors.

One more thing I'll say is that while the voting systems proposed by @180 Proof and @Hanover look good, I suspect they'll result in fewer votes than a pinned poll. Many people wouldn't bother, if it meant they had to send a PM or vote for every story separately.
  • Noble Dust

Yeah I agree; I'm more interested in a higher voter turnout than a system that allows the TPF faithful to vote with more nuance while isolating any potential casual voters. I don't understand the desire for more nuance. I may not even contribute a story this time around.
  • god must be atheist
    I may not even contribute a story this time around.Noble Dust

Now, that's a big Nuance. A Nuance of Biblical Proportions.
  • Baden
    Like a king after hearing from his council of advisors.jamalrob

That's pretty much the look I was going for. :cool:

One more thing I'll say is that while the voting systems proposed by 180 Proof and @Hanover look good, I suspect they'll result in fewer votes than a pinned poll. Many people wouldn't bother, if it meant they had to send a PM or vote for every story separately.jamalrob

That's a fair concern.

Yeah I agree; I'm more interested in a higher voter turnout than a system that allows the TPF faithful to vote with more nuance while isolating any potential casual voters. I don't understand the desire for more nuance. I may not even contribute a story this time around.Noble Dust

There's not yet a strong demand for change anyhow, unless there is, we're going to stick with the original method.
  • 180 Proof
    I suspect they'll result in fewer votes than a pinned poll. Many people wouldn't bother, if it meant they had to send a PM or vote for every story separately.jamalrob
    Seems to me a feature and not a bug.
  • Baden
    By the looks of it, there's some dissatisfaction with the original method of voting and also some dissatisfaction with the changes proposed, so I suppose I'll leave things, imperfect as they are, and I hope it doesn't put anyone off contributing.

Accepting stories now, have two so far. Keep them coming. :up:
  • Benkei
    That's it. I'm not contributing this time.
  • 180 Proof
    Deadline for submission?
  • praxis
    You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can pleasure yourself anytime.
  • 180 Proof
    You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can pleasure yourself anytime.praxis
    :sweat: :up:
  • Baden

A silver lining... :razz:

Let's say the 23rd. Give everyone a month and have them up for that day that shall not be named. :grin:
  • Michael
    Give everyone a month and have them up for that day that shall not be named.Baden

The anniversary of the founding of the Kingdom of Hungary?
  • god must be atheist
    I think the occupation of Hungary happened on a Tuesday, not on a Wednesday. Some authorities say that the Avars whom the Hungarians subjugated in the nineth century, were also Hungarians, and not a Slavic people as most history books had thought. That puts a whole new monkey wrench on the first occupation date of the Karpathian-basin by Hungarians.
  • Baden

Thought that was Pancake Tuesday? :chin:
  • Baden
    I think the occupation of Hungary happened on a Tuesdaygod must be atheist

Confirmed!
  • god must be atheist
    Thought that was Pancake Tuesday?Baden

Pancake Tuesdays would invariably fall on Pancaca Fridays. When the lot of pancakes eaten on Tuesday would get freshly squeezed again.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment