• Baden
    Get your entries in (PM me them and add a file if you require special formatting). Tentative deadline mid-December.

The former rules were:

"1) Anyone can enter. Entries can be PMed to me.
    2) Max one submission per member.
    3) Max 5000 words.
    4) Must fall under the broad category of short story. No poems or plays.
    5) Submissions are to be anonymous. Don't advertise what you've written prior to voting.
    6) Entries must not be previously available online.
    7) Entries will be posted as discussion OPs and may be commented upon.
    8) Every member can vote for one short story.
    9) Whichever story receives the most votes wins."

But there was some talk about changing aspects of them. Here's your chance to help me finalise how things are run this time round. :smile:
  • Michael
    But there was some talk about changing aspects of them. Here's your chance to help me finalise how things are run this time round.Baden

How about change rule 9 to “whichever story receives the second most votes wins.”?
  • Baden

Close... The actual suggestion of weighted voting last time round would allow for that. Or at least for more votes of second than first to win.
  • 180 Proof
    @Baden

Suppose a poll(?) is affixed to the bottom of each submission with three options

3 [ ] "I enjoyed it."
    2 [ ] "It's okay."
    1 [ ] "Not for me."

and each members (reader) picks only one option per submission resulting in a total score for each submission that is hidden until the end of the contest. A member (reader) can only see his / her vote until the end, then all scores are (manually?) compiled and listed highest to lowest, etc. CAVEAT: An author who votes for his / her own story to be identified and his / her vote score subtracted from the his / her story's total score on the final tally. (Even better – disable voting of each author just for his / her own story.)

Is this doable? preferable?
  • jamalrob
    Is this doable? preferable?180 Proof

Partly doable. We can do a poll in each story, but we can't hide the votes or scores and we can't stop someone from voting for their own story or identify those who do.

then all scores are (manually?) compiled and listed highest to lowest, etc180 Proof

Yep, this would be a manual thing.

Preferable? I don't know. It's an interesting idea and I quite like it, but then I don't see much of a problem with the way it was done last time.
  • 180 Proof
    Okay. Just a thought, thanks for considering it.
  • jamalrob
    It's up to the masses + Baden. We'll see what they say.
  • Hanover
    Bypassing our limited technology, I'd suggest:

Each person votes for his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place stories, with each #1 getting 3 points, #2 getting 2 points, and #3 getting 1 point, with the story with the most cumulative points winning. Votes are cast in a word document submitted to Baden, which are not opened and counted until the voting deadline passes. This method also eliminates a person voting for himself.

We'll of course trust Baden not to open ballots early, to count ballots correctly, and not to share who voted for who.
  • 180 Proof
    Votes are cast in a word document submitted to Baden, which are not opened and counted until the voting deadline passes. This method also eliminates a person voting for himselfHanover
    :up: 'Each member (voter) submit a tally of his / her votes via PM to Baden' would work better.
  • Hanover
    The only advantage of sending it via Word document is to save Baden from being impacted from knowing everyone's vote before he votes, but either way is probably ok.
  • praxis
    We'll of course trust Baden not to open ballots early, to count ballots correctly, and not to share who voted for who.Hanover

They use video surveillance at ballot processing facilities. Perhaps a live video stream of Baden could be posted in the OP during the voting period. It could be just like watching live stream zoo animals.
  • Baden

Do I have to wear clothes?
  • Baden
    You guys work it out. As long as Hanover gets to pick the method that involves me doing the most work, I'm right behind it all. :ok:
  • baker
    We can do a poll in each storyjamalrob

How about posting a thread only for voting where the items in the poll are the titles of the stories. Only one vote per poster, if the aim is to vote for a favorite story.

This way, everything is in one thread, and no further manual labor required for counting the votes.
  • fdrake

Setting up this Google form took 5 minutes and has the 1->5 "hated it" to "loved it" rating scale thing. Also automatically derives a spreadsheet.

No user authentication linked to this website though.
  • Olivier5
    A 4 points scale would be more discriminant; with a 5 points scale most folks rate in the middle (3), leading to more ex equo.
  • Shawn
    :party:
  • Benkei
    Should we add a theme? It being Christmas and all?
  • Baden

Might be detrimental to quantity and quality of entrants though. Plus, I used up my Christmas story already.
  • Hanover
    You guys work it out. As long as Hanover gets to pick the method that involves me doing the most work, I'm right behind it all.Baden

Alright, I've come up with another way. Everyone sends in their votes by a Word document and password protects them. After the deadline, we hold a vote as to who is to count the votes. Once that vote is complete, we will submit our passwords to the person who is to count the votes. That person (maybe a naked Baden, maybe a seductively dressed Hanover) then counts the votes, at which time we gather again and vote on whether to approve the count. If we don't approve the count, we vote on who we think would make the most provocative Mr. January in the upcoming TPF Calendar. Following that, we then await a motion from the floor asking that we reconvene the tallying of the votes that we forgot about during our ADD moment when we starting talking about calendars.

In the event we cannot get an approval of the votes, we will approve the votes anyway because there really never was a good reason for the additional vote to approve the votes.
  • Hanover
    Should we add a theme? It being Christmas and all?Benkei

I think a Christmas theme would be good. I'm going to write about my dead drunk father who used to dress in a reindeer suit but he died during Christmas, so I dressed in his beat up outfit so that my young stupid brother wouldn't know his father dropped dead on Christmas. And something about a ring.
  • Baden

Sounds cool. Benkei would love it. :cheer:
  • jamalrob
    I'm against a theme, mainly because I've written my story already and it's not festive.
  • jamalrob
    This is brilliant.
  • jamalrob
    This looks like a good solution to me, but maybe with 180's 1 - 3 as options: "not for me", "it was ok", "loved it". Also, possibly need to restrict it to the membership, and prevent people from submitting it twice.

Otherwise, sending PMs to Baden with a strict format would work. Either scoring each story or else listing your top three.
  • fdrake

5 point ranking scales from good to bad have biases toward the extremes and middle. You nevertheless want to give people a middle (odd number) so that they can express indifference and mild positivity/negativity. If you give someone an odd numbered scale like that (from negative to positive), only the aggregate of people can express indifference when you average the scores.

If you don't give them a middle, you're not removing the "central response" bias, you're actually making the interior of the scale measurements more noisy!

Hot take.

his looks like a good solution to me, but maybe with 180's 1 - 3 as options: "not for me", "it was ok", "loved it". Also, possibly need to restrict it to the membership, and prevent people from submitting it twice.jamalrob

It's an interesting scale! How would you sum it? Not for me = 0, it was ok = 1, loved it = 2?
  • jamalrob
    1, 2, 3. That way, everybody gets points :love:
  • praxis
    I'm against a theme, mainly because I've written my story already and it's not festive.jamalrob

Maybe a Tim Burtonish Christmas theme. :death:
  • jamalrob
    No themes. I'm putting my foot down, admittedly for partly selfish reasons.
  • jamalrob
    How about posting a thread only for voting where the items in the poll are the titles of the stories. Only one vote per poster, if the aim is to vote for a favorite story.

This way, everything is in one thread, and no further manual labor required for counting the votes.
    baker

Interesting, but feels like a clunky workaround.

EDIT: wait, isn't this how it was done the first time around? In which case, sure, I thought that was ok.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment