• coolazice
    I'm talking about history as a process, not as a discourse. — photographer

Then you'll have to do a better job at explaining what you mean, because I don't understood how the 'process' of history is exclusive to the West.
  • BC
    The amount of Eurocentrism on this thread is ridiculous.coolazice

Guilty as charged. I am Eurocentric. Why should I not be? It would be odd if I were not. Why would it be better for you or me if I were Sinocentric, Afrocentric, Kiwicentric, or some other centrism?

The best vantage point for understanding other people in the world is to understand one's self. We are all more alike than we are different (as far as important matters are concerned). Where is the marvelous land of Omnicentrism? Where is the happy land that welcomes all migrations and diasporas, that universally embraces all differences, excludes no one, and is sensitive to every nuance?

Never Never Land, that's where.

I am more of an essentialist than a constructivist--another thought crime in some circles, no doubt. Granted, social input has a lot to do with the kind of people we are, but a lot of that content is poured in before our skull bones have all grown together. By the time we get to college, it's way too late to rewrite everything.

It seems to me clear enough that homosexuals born in Uganda or Kenya want to live openly, find lovers, live together, and enjoy life as part of a community. Maybe they don't feel a need to attend drag balls on Halloween, but I would guess they are like western gays in most respects.

It seems to me clear enough that women in Iraq or Saudi Arabia would want to have opportunities to enjoy personal growth experiences, to have independence, the opportunity for public self expression and executive agency, just the same as men do.

It seems to me clear enough that people in Saudi Arabia, China, Peru, France, or the United States have a fair amount of tolerance for social change, but it is limited. Most people do not want to see in their lives and lifetimes a radical change in their communities and their cultures.
145678Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.