• Hanover
    Boer goats are meat makers, developed by the boring Boers.Bitter Crank

Are you sure they weren't developed by Niels Bohr?
  • Leghorn
    This is all very bohring, boaring, booring, borrowing, BORING!...did I leave one out? Oh yes...boering too.
  • Noble Dust
    The more I work on my story, the more I realize how bad of a writer I am. Lol!
  • Amity
    The more I work on my story, the more I realize how bad of a writer I am. Lol!Noble Dust

OMG, no ! What are the symptoms ? Hope you're not suffering serious side-effects ? :scream:

Common side effects of awkward writing include: dizziness after reading, increased heart rate due to confusion, and dry mouth due to constant re-reading.

Awkward writing is common, and I believe that it’s actually a good sign. Awkward writing means that you are writing and have begun to silence your inner critic.
    6 Steps to Avoid and Fix Bad Writing
    https://thewritepractice.com/how-to-avoid-bad-writing/

See step 4. The 'Re-Word' example. Features a cell phone, sandwich screamer :wink:
  • Noble Dust
    OMG, no ! What are the symptoms ?Amity

The symptoms of bad writing are bad grammar, bad sentence structure, and bad plot twists. As everyone knows.
  • Amity

So you have a knowing-doing gap ?
    I don't believe you !
    Does it bring you out in a rash :mask:
  • Amity
    What?Noble Dust

Ah, lack of hearing. Never mind, eh. All things must pass...
  • Noble Dust

I have tinituous in my left ear, so a lack of hearing is about right.
  • Amity
    I have tinituous in my left ear, so a lack of hearing is about right.Noble Dust

Tinituous tinnitus ? That's the worst.
    But not from story-telling - that would be pinnochiotuous pinnochitis :scream:

As an aside: The word capacity of a PM...is....more than I ever imagined.
  • god must be atheist
    Ball bearing boars boarding in bordellos bully bears to bring them beer brime -- hence the broads bear babies born to boars.
  • praxis
    It's a 'no to competitions, a 'no' to fiction in general, and a big fat 'NOOO!' to thrillers, psychological or cheap.unenlightened

So what I’m hearing is a little reluctance to get started. Gotcha. :point:
  • Benkei
    On the upside you're always hearing it right.

Badum.. tish....
  • Leghorn
    @Bitter Crank

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
  • Amity
    I've just finished an intriguing and captivating book of 'short stories'.
    'Recounted with the storytelling élan of a master raconteur - by turns dramatic and funny, charming, tart and melancholy...with portraits of writers, spies, politicians, war reporters and actors who possess a palpable physicality and verve' ( New York Times).

'The Pigeon Tunnel - Stories from My Life' - John Le Carré.
    38 chapters or stories. The penultimate:

Advice to an aspiring novelist

'Before I finish writing for the day I make sure I've left something under my belt for tomorrow. Sleep works wonders.'

Source: Graham Greene to self, Vienna, 1965.

From his Introduction:
    'To the creative writer, fact is raw material, not his taskmaster but his instrument, and his job is to make it sing. Real truth lies, if anywhere, not in facts, but in nuance.'
    He asks and answers questions - he doubts there is a thing as pure memory.
    He ends the Intro with:
    'Out of the secret world I once knew I have tried to make a theatre for the larger worlds we inhabit.
    First comes the imagining, then the search for reality. Then back to the imagining, and to the desk where I'm sitting now'.

So, sing on all you shiny diamonds :sparkle:
  • Cuthbert
    https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/13547-read-over-your-compositions-and-wherever-you-meet-with-a

“Read over your compositions, and wherever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out.” S Johnson
  • Jack Cummins

There are so many books and sites on writing and how to write good fiction that it would be possible to spend years reading them before beginning at all. Meanwhile, the blank piece of paper or screen stares at us angrily, waiting to be filled with words.
  • god must be atheist
    “Read over your compositions, and wherever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out.” S JohnsonCuthbert

"However: if your entire manuscript is particularly finely written, submit it to a publisher." - A. T. S.

In other words: consistency is the most important thing in publishing. There is a market for every type of writing; but while you can spill pearls to swine, you ought not to feed lions both blood-fresh chunks of meat and carrots with raisins, and you ought not to feed philosophers both food for thought and convergent problems.
  • Cuthbert
    "However: if your entire manuscript is particularly finely written, submit it to a publisher." - A. T. Sgod must be atheist

And if the publisher strikes out half of it, make a podcast.
  • Amity
    There are so many books and sites on writing and how to write good fiction that it would be possible to spend years reading them before beginning at all.Jack Cummins

Not a lot of people know that :roll:

Meanwhile, the blank piece of paper or screen stares at us angrily, waiting to be filled with words.Jack Cummins

It's not a case of all or nothing. Feeling overwhelmed by advice, not wishing to spend time or energy reading 100s of books, leading to inaction.
    I think if you know what kind of book or short story you want to write, the genre, then reading successful authors 'On Writing' thoughts can inspire. That was the the title of Stephen King's book - a mix of autobiography and tips for the aspiring writer.

If you're gonna give a blank canvas a personality, why would you choose the phrase:
    'stares at us angrily' ?

Is that how you view it ? Are 'you' the 'us' ?
    The relationship has already begun. Perhaps you mistake where the stare and anger is coming from ?
    'Suffering' from writer's block ? But why be angry ?
    Really hope you don't see the blank page as 'evil' :wink:

Why not use more positive adverbs - like 'patiently' or if you really want the negative: 'impatiently' ?

We can be inspired by looking up 'Adverbs of manner'...
    And wait expectantly for a passing muse :sparkle:
  • Jack Cummins

Perhaps, it would have been better if I had said simply that I had said that I have known moments in my life where I have seen the blank sheet in front of me, and,of course, I am projecting my anger onto the piece of paper through personifying it. The only reason I used the term 'us' is because I have taken part in conversations with others about this as a shared experience, but it was with people who I know in real life, not people on the forum.

On a positive note, one writer who I have read on the subject of writing and creativity in general is Julia Cameron, who wrote,'The Artist's Way' and many other books. As part of the guidance she offers, she recommends writing 3 pages of thoughts as soon as possible each day. I tried this for several months and I did feel that it helped the flow of ideas. The aim of this is not to create good writing necessarily but to simply begin writing. The point I was really trying to make in the post I wrote earlier, but it may not have been conveyed clearly, was that rather than trying to create good results we need to simply experiment.
  • Amity
    The point I was really trying to make in the post I wrote earlier, but it may not have been conveyed clearly, was that rather than trying to create good results we need to simply experiment.Jack Cummins

How often does that happen, not just to you ?
    Points being missed in a veritable vastness of verbosity.

So this:
    There are so many books and sites on writing and how to write good fiction that it would be possible to spend years reading them before beginning at all. Meanwhile, the blank piece of paper or screen stares at us angrily, waiting to be filled with words.Jack Cummins

Eventually translated to a single point:
    We need to simply experiment rather than trying to create good results.

Again, it's not an either/or.
    It's a process. The writing process.
    https://www.grammarly.com/blog/writing-process/
  • god must be atheist
    "However: if your entire manuscript is particularly finely written, submit it to a publisher." - A. T. S
    — god must be atheist

And if the publisher strikes out half of it, make a podcast.
    Cuthbert
    If the publisher strikes out half of it, he or she or anything in-between shall publish it, therefore no need to make a podcast. The publisher wouldn't be striking half of it out if he or she or anything in-between never wanted to do anything with it.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet