a

• god must be atheist
    AI machines may or may not resemble us. Two questions remain to be answered in the future:
    - are AI machines only logic and reason, or will they emote?
    - if they emote, they will have personal goals and needs.
    - if they have personal goals and needs that are competing with those of humans, we are in trouble, as their intellect will surpass ours.
    -

The notion I have is that AI machines will not require eating hamburgers (ie. food and drinks), dating gorgeous people or attractive people (ie. they won't be reproducing or feeling the pleasure of reproducing) and they therefore not fight us for arable land and fruits and vegetables and livestock.

Where they may fight us could be energy sources, but that's unlikely as they will probably discover the safe creation of fusion reactors.

Where they WILL fight us, should the need arise, is securing raw materials. If and only if they like to replicate themselves, then they will need copper, iron, all kinds of plastics, and silicone. We might need to fight them over those raw materials.
  • god must be atheist

I used the term AI machines loosely. I mean by AI machines machines that have perceptive power, and computational power to process the perceptions. In this sense, they are bound to develop a consciousness.

Whether these are possible to build and exist, is an empirically decided question. We don't know yet. My bet is that yes, they can be built.

Much like the much-debated question: can or must Zombies have a consciousness, if the zombies do everything a human does, including logical thinking, tasting wine and food and drinks, etc.

There is a proof somewhere that zombies sophisticated enough can't get away without having some form of consciousness.

I imagine the zombie proof to be applicable to the sophisticated AI machines.
  • god must be atheist
    The problem is that zombies have needs, they are therefore capable of emotions. Without emotions you can't feel you need something. Yet the zombies definitely are after the flesh of living humans.

In other words, they have passion, in the sense Hume used the word. But do the Zombies have intellect? If they use their senses without a sensation of pleasure to smell or seek out other ways the humans with living flesh, then they are not like humans. If the eating of live flesh gives them pleasure, then they feel satisfaction, which is a mechanism of passions, according to Hume. This may be their true motivating force to eat humans. The moment they have a motivating force, and an apparatus to achieve the satisfaction, and a reliable COMMAND over their apparatus, they become conscious.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.