• Shawn
    Philosophical dilemma presented below. How do you convince the bomb not to explode?

• Nils Loc
    What bomb?

That is not a bomb.
  • Shawn
    What is it?
  • Wosret
    I'd be all like "saw that you were alone besides 'false data' apparently... look only the precise content can be doubted, but whether things look, sound, smell, taste or whatever as they appear is irrelevant to their ability to be sensible, and nonsensical, significant and insignificant. Doubt itself requires grounds, which is why you never doubted your senses until prompted to. What's important is not whether they're possibly false, but whether they're plausibly false... now get back out there and fucking explode asshole".
  • Shawn
    I just can't help but feel sorry for the bomb. It's so cruel that it's only purpose was to explode.

Wittgenstein would say that the language game has been taken too far at the expense of the poor bomb.
  • Wosret
    You could prevent the bomb from exploding with zeno's paradox, convincing it that it has to actually count an infinite string of numbers before it can finalize its count down.
  • Shawn

Yes, but the bomb would tell you that's just absurd. It can count to 3, therefore it can count to 4.
  • Wosret

I dunno... bomb seemed pretty gullible to me.
  • Shawn

The bomb was just doing its job!
  • Wosret

Pretty bad at its job though... to be a bomb that is sent on the enemy that can be easily persuaded to come back and blow you up instead.
  • Shawn

I hope I dream about the bomb tonight. It was at least a good bomb.
  • Benkei
    I'll threaten to blow it up before it's supposed to blow up so it can never fulfil it's life purpose.
  • Mongrel
    Dave? What are you doing, Dave?
  • Shawn

That's like what a father says when he doesn't get things his way. Or what a potential mother says when she places the priority of her own welfare above the fetus.

Sad things.
  • Shawn

Dave was being a dick.
  • Mongrel
    Question, can we talk about this? I can see you're upset. Question, I'd really like to talk about

this.
  • Shawn

Daisy, Daisy / Give me your answer, do. / I'm half crazy / all for the love of you.
  • Mongrel
    Thus Spake Zarathustra.
  • Shawn

What about it?
  • Shawn
    [The bomb] can indeed do what [it] wants, but [it] cannot will what [it] wants.
  • Mongrel
    It's part of the soundtrack. Plus the Blue Danube if I remember correctly.

• Shawn

For all the talent and great music and aesthetic appeal, I find myself returning to the above low budget film with a great philosophical argument.

"The only thing which exists is myself.

In the begging there was darkness and the darkness was without form and void and in addition to the darkness there was also me and I moved upon the face of the darkness and I saw that I was alone.

Let there be light."

The bomb was lonely!
  • Mongrel
    The universe is the result of God's loneliness.
  • Benkei
    That's like what a father says when he doesn't get things his way. Or what a potential mother says when she places the priority of her own welfare above the fetus.

Sad things.
    Question

So unless it hit puberty it worked?
  • BC
    Mongrel

The universe is the result of God's loneliness.
    Mongrel

Exactly.

Have you seen the rest of Dark Star? It's quite good; nice satire. There is a monster on board, and the cryogenically preserved (but oddly conscious) captain of the ship provides a possible solution to the Bomb's problematic desire to detonate: "Discuss phenomenology with the Bomb."
  • Shawn

Hmmm, not getting your drift here. Care to explain?
  • Shawn

How could an all good being be lonely? Is this God just being vain?
  • BC
    Why do you think god being lonely suggests that god is vain?
  • Shawn

Nah, I got it wrong. God was just lonely so he created us. End of story.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.