• Heister Eggcart
    And her closet will be MINE, >:)
  • Agustino
    Ploughing through pink clouds...
  • Agustino
    @Heister Eggcart Do you think Mongrel has plough experience actually?

• Heister Eggcart
    Borat is exactly how I imagine you, Agu.
  • Agustino
    And is Azemat you?

• Heister Eggcart
    If this is what you watch regularly, now I know why you're crazy, Agu.
  • Agustino
    >:O I've actually seen real life a kind of fight like this as a teenager between two other guys
  • Mongrel
    Mongrel I think Heister wants something from you :-*Agustino
    Isn't he celibate?
  • Mongrel
    I think the association of light to good precedes consciousness of varying skin tones.
  • darthbarracuda
    Recently read this essay by Sarah Perry, entitled Ritual Epistemology:

"Objectively, our modern justice system may be no better at arriving at truth and justice than the Grand Amphibian system. But that is not its true purpose. The point is to resolve disputes in a manner that is generally recognized as final, such that its decisions have the reasonable support and respect of the community. A purely rational system that dispenses with ceremony in favor of accuracy would likely not serve this purpose at all. “Bring on the handcuffs,” perhaps – and the black robes, imposing architecture, and arcane rules.

This is the post-rationalist critique: that irrational-seeming systems often serve the interests of people better than purely rational systems that attempt to dispense with ceremony."

http://www.ribbonfarm.com/2015/11/05/ritual-epistemology/

Worth reading, imo.
  • jamalrob
    I imagine it's about day and night. At night it's scary and bad things happen.
  • Mongrel
    Yea, same thought occurred to me. Light is associated with knowledge (in some cultures?). The night is scary because the monster in the darkness is unseen, unknown...
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thank you! I appreciate your supporting the success of our business for it really means a lot to me. I tease my husband that we went from eating rice and beans to eating beans and when I started hauling my own trash to the dump in 2008, I told him these must be the 'refried beans' days. Hauling my own trash was a low for me and having our curbside service restored this December was AMAZING to me! No more bagging it, tossing it on the trailer, listening to the Coyotes get into the bags and rip them to shreds to get to the contents because that meant a huge cleanup in the morning and if it was windy, well, anyway. I think our refried beans days are going to get better and now when the trash truck comes to get our trash, I am genuinely excited about the magic that is about to happen. Funny how we interpret things differently as we move through life.
  • Mongrel
    When I was a massage therapist, I chose as my marker of success that I'd have a service wash all my massage table sheets for me. I did get to that point about a year before 9/11 (when my business just kind of disappeared.)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    That is a shame when we as a nation have such a high level of deprivation of touch. I hope you have channeled your healing energies to a higher step and feel appreciated.
  • Mongrel
    I'm an intensive care nurse now. I don't heal anybody. I held a lady's hand the other day while she was going through something crappy.
  • Robert Lockhart
    Mcdoodle: The psychology of some in terms of their life choices can indeed seem somewhat perverse to others. But there is evidence nonetheless to suggest that risk-takers with a propensity to engage in 'constructive' challenge do in practice experience a higher quality of life – if perhaps on average also a briefer experience of same! It’s of course all to do with how a given individual perceives, even if subliminally, what actually constitutes meaning in their life and how in that respect distance travelled might not necessarily be proportional to time involved!

Personally, with regard to the clearly fulfilling life-style of some people I actually know who mountaineer as a 'hobby' in my own country, Scotland, I sometimes feel - as I sit at my reasuringly comfortable office desk - a disconcerting envy! Then again, as a reminder of the unavoidable danger this activity involves, I also once heard of a talented mountaineer who died aged only 21 while he was taking part in a particularly challenging Alpine expedition. Although of course an extreem example, perhaps even such a case could involve some ambiguity when estimating the overall degree of tragedy ultimately thereby obtaining. - How to render such equations comprehensible?
  • Sapientia
    I held a lady's hand the other day while she was going through something crappy.Mongrel

I held a lady's hand the other day while she was having a crap.
  • Thorongil
    I held a lady's hand the other day while she was having a crap.Sapientia

I held out a lady's hand into which I took a crap.
  • Agustino

Did you two enjoy the smell? :D
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.