Humdrum

12Next
  • andrewk
    I hope you brought your cup!
  • Hanover
    I don't know what to make of this either. He's been declared dead, his estate distributed, life insurance benefits handed out, eulogies said, wife remarried, children adopted, all his slaves freed. I inherited his cat mat. Must I return it?
  • S
    Speaking of PF members who haven't properly made it over here, I don't get why busy (busycuttingcrap) hasn't joined in, despite actually joining last year. I recall that he, along with several others, wasn't happy about the way the TPF faction abandoned ship, but none of that matters now.jamalrob

Yet he was recently active at the old place, I noticed. Greyfrairs Bobby.

I also noticed that @SophistiCat has recently joined, and he was one of those several others that you referred to. Welcome to the forum, Sophisticat.

And welcome to you too, @Ruminant.
  • S
    Welcome back, Banno! And rest in peace.
  • Baden
    Banno is busy proving that the law of the excluded middle doesn't apply to the concept of life. He is neither alive nor dead, but undead.
  • Michael
    Isn't "undead" just "was dead, but now isn't" - so alive? Or "dead, but still moving" - so dead?
  • Baden
    Both and neither. Banno embodies fuzzy logic. Or at least his beard does.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thank you for responding because for the life of me I haven't been able to come up with your nickname only your real name. ;)
  • Sir2u
    c692d54914719657e04f6c6ca5b5a1a1.jpgBanno

I hope you brought your cup!andrewk

Of course he brought it, but it is not red anymore. Now it is invisible. :s
  • Sir2u
    He is neither alive nor dead, but undead.Baden

Now the question is "Is he still in the box?"
  • Banno
    SO I updated my profile picture - I'm not allowed to upload images here yet.

My cup, as you can see, is now a hand-crafted ceramic, in shades of blue. The cat's mat has been upgraded to a scratching post, so Hanover, you are welcome to his old mat. Jack is pictured sharing my contempt for poor philosophy in its various forms.
  • Banno
    What of Landru Guide Us?

I have concluded that the post-truth politics of Trump is all his fault.

He should be here to defend himself.
  • Jamal
    @Landru Guide Us joined a year ago but hasn't been seen for nine months. Things were pretty quiet at the time, so there probably weren't enough right-wing memes here to pique his ire.

I agree that Trump is his fault.
  • Banno
    I don't think he would be very happy about it. Or than again he might be rejoicing in the existential freedom provided.
  • Brainglitch
    P1: Banno is dead.

P2: Banno was Australian.

P3: The evidence here shows that he refuses to stop talking.

C: Dead Australians can talk

Q.E.D.
  • Michael
    P1: Banno is dead.

P2: Banno was Australian.

Q.E.D.
    Brainglitch

Why "Banno was Australian" and not "Banno is Australian"? You seem to be implying that he isn't an Australian (any more). And if he isn't an Australian then he isn't a dead Australian. Therefore that he talks is not proof that dead Australians can talk.

Q.E.D.
  • Brainglitch
    Why "Banno was Australian" and not "Banno is Australian"? You seem to be implying that he isn't an Australian (any more). And if he isn't an Australian then he isn't a dead Australian. Therefore that he talks is not proof that dead Australians can talk.Michael

P1: Banno be dead.

P2: Banno be Australian.

• Michael
    P1: Banno be dead.

P2: Banno be Australian.

Brainglitch

Can the dead have citizenship? If not then you can't be both dead and Australian.
  • Brainglitch
    Can the dead have citizenships? If not then you can't be both dead and Australian.Michael

OF course the dead have citizensjip.

They even vote in some places.
  • Brainglitch
    And get elected.Michael

Q.E.D.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Can the dead have citizenship? If not then you can't be both dead and Australian.Michael
    You don't lose your citizenship simply because you cease living.
    Silly goose
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    They even vote in some places.Brainglitch

Sometimes they vote twice and collect Social Security checks.
  • Brainglitch
    Sometimes they vote twice and collect Social Security checks.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Ha! There ya go.
  • Mongrel
    I've been reading Geneology of Morals (after Gay Science). Paying closer attention to the parts I sort of ignored before.. the blond Aryan conquerors versus the darker primitive people. The assessment of democracy is that it endangers the purity of the blond Aryans (who were universally blond for some reason). Communism is a monstrous reversion to a primitive social structure resulting from the rise of the darkies.

So.. he said he dwelt with Schopenhauer to the point that it was just the two of them. That means he has to have known that the pale blond image is a myth.. a metaphor... a magic language that is bound to create pathos and pathology. Expression and creation are identical.

Per N, the Buddhist longing for nothingness is the same as the Christian mystic's longing for union with God. He thinks both forms of mysticism are nihilism cults.
  • Mongrel
    When I'm intent on displaying my stupidity I prefer to do it by cartoon.
  • Sir2u
    When I'm intent on displaying my stupidity I prefer to do it by cartoon.Mongrel

What kind do you prefer?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.