• MonfortS26
    The more I argue my views, the more I find them to be self-contradictory. I'm not sure if I even believe in the idea of a paradox-free-mind being possible with the current world we live in, but I may be wrong. Does anyone believe that this could be possible? If not now, then in the future?
  • wuliheron
    Not a chance.
  • jkop

Clarity of thought is possible. Some have a talent for thinking or seeing things clearly, seemingly without much effort, while others need a lot of time, practice, or get stuck in meaningless loops of thought. One might also be good at thinking clearly in one context but lousy at it in other contexts. Most people think less clearly under the influence of alcohol or pot, others need coffee to be able to think at all, Allegedly Rudolph Carnap (the austrian philosopher) didn't drink coffee even because he didn't want it to mess with his mind.
  • apokrisis
    Depending on what you mean, it could be a good sign.

The simple view of philosophical questioning is that there should be only the single right answer at the end of the day.

But the rich or complex view is instead dialectic or dichotomistic - yin yang even. Big questions always end up as crisp interplay of opposites. You need thesis and antithesis to have the resolution which is their synthesis.

So arguing strongly for one thing should bring its complementary "other" also sharply into view.

Right now you should already be saying, well if this guy says it's not one right answer, but instead two complementary poles of being, then what could contradict that in some strong fashion? Maybe I can stack up a counter-argument in terms that oppose the one and the many. Maybe I can suggest it is neither one, nor two, but a multitude.

That's the way it goes. (And the one and the many is of course simply another standard dichotomy - so "paradoxical dialectics" wins again!) ;)
  • BC
    I wish to second Wuliheron's motion.
  • BC
    Which paradox are you positing life without?

1. a statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory: a potentially serious conflict between quantum mechanics and the general theory of relativity known as the information paradox.

2. a seemingly absurd or self-contradictory statement or proposition that when investigated or explained may prove to be well founded or true: in a paradox, he has discovered that stepping back from his job has increased the rewards he gleans from it.

3. a situation, person, or thing that combines contradictory features or qualities: the mingling of deciduous trees with elements of desert flora forms a fascinating ecological paradox.

4. a pair o' docs removing a gall bladder.
  • MonfortS26
    1. a statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory: a potentially serious conflict between quantum mechanics and the general theory of relativity known as the information paradox.Bitter Crank

thesisapokrisis

It seem that most of my ideas are self contradictory in some way. I don't know if i believe that there are alternatives to those ideas that can be otherwise though. Maybe that's why I try to argue that the self is an illusion. It may be possible that I am stuck in some sort of semantic error
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.