• Janus

Thanks Punshhh good suggestions and ideas; and I appreciate your openness.

I live in Sydney.
  • Punshhh
    Saw a nice bird rabbit the other day.image.jpg
  • Punshhh
    Aldeburgh in a squallimage.jpg
  • Punshhh
    Nice, do you plan it out, draw it spontaneously, or is it more like a doodle?
  • Mongrel
    Mostly doodle, I think.
  • Punshhh
    Nice, I used to do doodle art, very enjoyable. Also it developed into abstract art for me.i'll fish some out.
  • Mongrel
    Cool! Do that.

I've been experimenting with cutting the doodle people out and placing them in various collage-like situations. It started with photoshop stuff I used to do.

zr0a7tv3n1rk19hy.jpg
  • Janus

Shades of Turner; I like it...
  • Janus

That's cool, I can see where your background is verging towards abstraction. Do you ever work with paint and canvas or other physical media?
  • Punshhh
    Oh, my images have disappeared, I'll try and get them back. The've mysteriously returned.
  • Punshhh
    That was an early painting it didn't turn out as I intended, apart from that it is a nice painting. I should do it again and it should turn out right now, the idea was very much in the Turner style.
  • Mongrel
    I have done a lot of oil and watercolor... but it's been a really long time since any of that was abstract. BTW.. do you know anything about Chinese gardens?
  • Cavacava
    Did this in pencil a couple of weeks ago, into color over last weekend.
    tumblr_oe65dspv1p1rkbhqwo1_1280.jpg
  • Mongrel
    I stared at this for a while. It dredged up a weird beach trip from years ago... stuff I never sorted out.
  • Janus

Not much; I prefer the what I see as the much greater subtlety of Japanese gardens; and I am much more familiar with the principles underlying those. No doubt there is some commonality, since the Japanese traditions find much of their inception in the Chinese, and as you no doubt are aware not only on regard to gardening. Prefer the Chinese martial arts, though.
  • Punshhh
    Some of my abstract pieces.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • Punshhh
    I love Japanese gardens!
    I happened upon an interesting Australian artists the other day, Sydney Long, I'm already drawing inspiration from his work.
  • Mongrel
    Cool. Biology class?
  • Janus

Yes, several of his paintings are in NSW Art Gallery. I was always somehow drawn to his work. The pastoral muse....

On another note I have forgotten how to attach the images so they appear in the post rather than just as attachments. Do you (or does any one else) have any advice?
  • Janus
    Worked it out. Duh.....

o7x2088bpkvmys3e.jpg
  • Punshhh
    Yes, 2D abstract ideas around concepts of skin/membrane/change.
  • Janus

As Mongrel says, biology and by extension for me, brings to mind Klee, and to a lesser extent, Miro. I love to see such free experimentation.
  • Mongrel
    Those are cool, John. Have you ever done mural painting?

Here's my biology one. I had some pain issues at the time.
    kfi8007dci6vnpax.jpg
  • Cavacava
    Cool! Very militant, or perhaps defiant...the truth slayer.
  • Mongrel
    :) It's amazing what sort of turmoil can be going on behind a stoic little face. :’(
  • Janus

That's great! Is it oil or acrylic on canvas or board? Was your pain on account of veritas, or was it due to lack of clarity about it?

This is from Wikipedia:
    In Roman mythology, Veritas, meaning truth, was the goddess of truth, a daughter of Saturn and the mother of Virtus. It was believed that she hid in the bottom of a holy well because she was so elusive. Her image is shown as a young virgin dressed in white.

I like the idea that Truth, the elusive one hiding at the bottom of a holy well is the mother of Virtue, and the daughter of Time.

It's hard to see your refection in the bottom of a well, however holy.
  • Janus

As I remember Don Juan once saying to Carlos Castaneda about what it is to be a warrior (very roughly paraphrased);
    "He could be staring at Satan himself, and no one would ever know."
  • Mongrel
    I like the idea that Truth, the elusive one hiding at the bottom of a holy well is the mother of Virtue, and the daughter of Time.

It's hard to see your refection in the bottom of a well, however holy.
    John
    That's cool. I didn't know that story. The word was in my environment because there's a precision drill bit company called Veritas. I was asking you about Chinese gardens... there are sometimes words and poetry on display in them. Do Japanese gardens ever do that?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment