• quine
    Hello,

I am concerned with some expressions for martial arts in English. It's because English dictionaries don't describe how to express martial arts expressions.
    When people talk about using punches, they express it by 'throw a punch'. For example,

Jones threw a punch.
    Jones threw a jab.

...and so on. Now what I am curious about is how to express the situation such that a punch successfully hits the opponent. For example,

Jones threw a punch, and the punch ( ...??? ...) to the opponent.

I want to know about the more general expressions. Can you help?
  • Ying
    "... And the punch connected."
  • quine

Is it a general expression?
  • Ying
    I guess. You hear it often enough in commentaries.
  • quine

Thanks for answer!
  • Baden

Interesting one.

The verbs "to land" and "to connect" in their non-typical transitive and intransitive versions respectively can be used with jab/punch/blow.

So you can go with:

He landed a punch /the punch landed
    Or
    He connected with a punch/the punch connected

But not

He connected a punch
    Or
    He landed with a punch
  • quine

Thanks for answer, too!
  • Cavacava

He was knocked around the ring.
    He was KO'd ( knocked out-- abbreviation) in the third round
    He delivered a knockout shot to the jaw.
  • quine

Thanks for useful information.
  • Terrapin Station
    "Connected" and "landed" were going to be my first two suggestions, too. Both are very common.

"Made contact" is another, though it's more formal/stilted-sounding--it doesn't suggest force as well.
  • Jeremiah
    "Jones threw a punch."

You don't actually have to say threw a, as you could just say, "Joe punches" or "Joe punched". Or you even just say "Joe punched his opponent." You can add a prepositional phrase if you like, "Joe punched his opponent in the face." Some other examples: "Joe smacked Mark", "Joe beat Mark with his fist.", "Joe cracked his knuckles across Mark's jaw, and Mark swallowed a tooth." "Joe gave Mark a fat lip."

"Mark go fed up, and hammered Joe with a crowbar."

There are so many possible combinations, so just be creative.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.