• Terrapin Station
    If an author's work is greater, it's so on the basis of ethical logic.TheWillowOfDarkness

What in the world?
  • Emptyheady
    This one was really tough, I voted for Hume out of personal preference, but seeing Kant at top seems justified.
  • Janus

You can say that you do, but since those are merely opinions held in an intellectual context where their opposite is always possible; I simply don't believe you. If you truly believed such things without possibility of doubt outside of the context of revelatory experience, then I would say you are merely given to blind faith, and not manifesting a knowing based on a revelation so profound as to make doubt impossible.

I know you will disagree, but that is only because you lack the kind of experience I am referring to. You lack that kind of experience because you are so mired in your mere opinions that you could never accept it. You would always reject it as being "just a psychological experience". That is exactly how the pedestrian mind levels everything out.
  • Agustino
    That is exactly how the pedestrian mind levels everything out.John
    Is the pedestrian mind given to pederasty? :-O
  • Janus

Are you actually disagreeing with anything i said?
  • Janus

I don't know; are all pedestrians pederasts? Does 'pedophile' refer to one who loves walking or to one who loves children?

May be 'pedophile priests' are really quite innocent just like the peripatetic philosophers. :s
  • Agustino
    Does 'pedophile' refer to one who loves walking or to one who loves children?John
    I think it refers to one who loves walking children :B
  • Janus

Is that like walking the dog? Do they use a leash? >:)
  • Agustino
    Is that like walking the dog? Do they use a leash? >:)John
    I think, by analogy, whether a leash is used or not depends on where one is walking the dog to ;)
  • Janus

And a leash might be used even then...
    :-O
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

Any world. To claim that empirical states amount to an ethical value is logical incoherent-- "is" is not "ought," "presence" is not "value."
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

Yes. You suggested you might be wrong about the empirical not amount to the ethical. This is not true. It not possible of empirical description to be a telling of ethics. You're letting Terrapin's argument of the hook, treating it as something which might be true when it's impossible.
  • Janus

OK, I wasn't aware I had done that, Could you identify the sentence or passage where you think I did that?

In any case, in relation to what you say; i think it should be borne in mind that there may be either empirical or ethical descriptions of the the same events. I agree the two are not commensurable; but it is not the case that one or the other has ontological priority.
  • TheArchitectOfTheGods
    Comfortable lead for Germany here with 61%.... :)
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.